The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project: Shiro (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=608085)

C10_ustacould 05-04-2014 09:16 AM

Re: Project: Shiro

Quote:

Originally Posted by duallyjams (Post 6658614)
Very subtle bet most people won't even notice.

Yep, I didn't want to get into the raised ribs in the bed floor. This gave me the clearance I needed with minimal fabrication, which is good because my sheet metal welding skills are a little rough. I like welding on the thick stuff where you can really burn it in. :devil:

lolife99 05-04-2014 10:00 AM

Looks great.

Bennett68C10 05-04-2014 12:59 PM

Nice job

Cole Trickle 05-06-2014 06:26 PM

Very cool build...your son will love it:)

C10_ustacould 05-08-2014 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 6658686)
Looks great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 (Post 6658881)
Nice job

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cole Trickle (Post 6662476)
Very cool build...your son will love it:)

Thanks guys. This will be a learning curve for me as I have never really messed with sheet metal. I am going to go through the set up on my welder and buy the right grinding discs etc to try and set myself up for success. :chevy:

C10_ustacould 05-08-2014 11:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The Big Brown Truck dropped off some parts today: my narrowed control arms from Porterbuilt and an NOS passenger side rocker to make it a pair. Ordered a core support, inner fenders and cab corners from AMD this week, more parts for when we get started. :metal: Also, took the old girl out to stretch here legs for a bit tonight. :chevy:

mcbassin 05-09-2014 07:51 AM

Looks like some very nice parts. Looking forward to seeing them installed.

lolife99 05-09-2014 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucks68 (Post 6665773)
The Big Brown Truck dropped off some parts today: my narrowed control arms from Porterbuilt and an NOS passenger side rocker to make it a pair.

Are the PB a-arm bushings now drilled for grease zerks?

C10_ustacould 05-09-2014 08:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The uppers are, I haven't taken the lowers out of the box yet.
edit: Keith, your avatar pic is awesome by the way!

C10_ustacould 05-09-2014 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6665974)
Looks like some very nice parts. Looking forward to seeing them installed.

You and me both!! :lol:

knomadd 05-09-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 6665979)
Are the PB a-arm bushings now drilled for grease zerks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucks68 (Post 6666004)
The uppers are, I haven't taken the lowers out of the box yet.

Interesting... When I asked about the lowers several months ago, I was told they didn't need grease zerks since they used delrin bushings. I wonder what changed their mind? :confused:

Parts look great though. Looks like you're collecting some quality stuff.

C10_ustacould 05-09-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 6666200)
Interesting... When I asked about the lowers several months ago, I was told they didn't need grease zerks since they used delrin bushings. I wonder what changed their mind? :confused:

Parts look great though. Looks like you're collecting some quality stuff.

Yep, now I need to spend some quality time installing all this stuff!:lol:

lolife99 05-09-2014 12:23 PM

I'm sure grease couldn't hurt.
I know of one truck that the owner complained about a slight squeak on the bushing.
I'm sure adding a grease zerk will prevent this.

C10_ustacould 05-09-2014 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My lowers have them too. bad pic, but you get the idea.

Hart_Rod 05-09-2014 01:09 PM

Mirror placement measurements:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...mounting+holes

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...mounting+holes

C10_ustacould 05-22-2014 09:20 PM

Columns and shift-gate question for the C10 gurus; If I use a late model 5.3L/6L80E set up which only uses PRNDM (M for manual mode) will the shift-gate in a factory tilt match up? Were tilts available with the powerglide transmission (PRNDL) option? Seems like a perfect marriage between old and new school. With the 4L60E the shift-gates and the indicator (PRNOD21) never really jived. If this will work I plan to use a factory tilt with the powerglide shift indicator. Thoughts?

Hart_Rod 05-22-2014 09:49 PM

There is no shift gate in the tilt, it's in the transmission.

C10_ustacould 05-22-2014 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 6689632)
There is no shift gate in the tilt, it's in the transmission.

If this is true why do you have to pull it to you to shift out of Park, and why can't you pull it straight from park to first? There must be something in the column that stops it from falling out of one postion and into the next. I would agree the transmissions have a detent, but the column must have something too.

mcbassin 05-23-2014 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucks68 (Post 6689588)
Columns and shift-gate question for the C10 gurus; If I use a late model 5.3L/6L80E set up which only uses PRNDM (M for manual mode) will the shift-gate in a factory tilt match up? Were tilts available with the powerglide transmission (PRNDL) option? Seems like a perfect marriage between old and new school. With the 4L60E the shift-gates and the indicator (PRNOD21) never really jived. If this will work I plan to use a factory tilt with the powerglide shift indicator. Thoughts?

I wish I knew the answer to this too. I just installed my Lokar linkage on my Factory GM tilt (LINK)and with my 4L60E Transmission the PRND321 doesn't match up worth a crap. It goes from P to N when you go from park to reverse. I may have it adjusted wrong?

Quote:

If this is true why do you have to pull it to you to shift out of Park, and why can't you pull it straight from park to first? There must be something in the column that stops it from falling out of one postion and into the next. I would agree the transmissions have a detent, but the column must have something too
There is a steel piece inside the column that has notches that seem to like they need synched with the transmission...?
LINK

Hart_Rod 05-23-2014 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucks68 (Post 6689780)
If this is true why do you have to pull it to you to shift out of Park, and why can't you pull it straight from park to first? There must be something in the column that stops it from falling out of one postion and into the next. I would agree the transmissions have a detent, but the column must have something too.

You are correct about PARK. Factory tilts and aftermarket tilts have a "safety" detent. All the rest of the detents (position lock) are in the transmission. As far as the column, some of the older columns (non-tilt) did have some built in detents. The tilt column in my 68 is factory if you want to try it out sometime, :D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6689846)
I wish I knew the answer to this too. I just installed my Lokar linkage on my Factory GM tilt (LINK)and with my 4L60E Transmission the PRND321 doesn't match up worth a crap. It goes from P to N when you go from park to reverse. I may have it adjusted wrong?

There is a steel piece inside the column that has notches that seem to like they need synched with the transmission...?
LINK

Mike - you just have to keep playing with it, it takes time and patience to do. I spent about 2 hrs yesterday messing with one and got it close, but it still needs some more adjusting. If you have someone to help you, it goes a lot quicker....

One other thing I forgot to mention, depending on where you engine is located in your truck, you may need to order a longer shift rod from LOKAR. I had to use a long one on all three of my trucks and they are all positioned in the truck differently and have different transmissions.
Here's a good video on how to set it up:

C10_ustacould 05-23-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 6690005)
You are correct about PARK. Factory tilts and aftermarket tilts have a "safety" detent. All the rest of the detents (position lock) are in the transmission. As far as the column, some of the older columns (non-tilt) did have some built in detents. The tilt column in my 68 is factory if you want to try it out sometime, :D.

Mike - you just have to keep playing with it, it takes time and patience to do. I spent about 2 hrs yesterday messing with one and got it close, but it still needs some more adjusting. If you have someone to help you, it goes a lot quicker....

One other thing I forgot to mention, depending on where you engine is located in your truck, you may need to order a longer shift rod from LOKAR. I had to use a long one on all three of my trucks and they are all positioned in the truck differently and have different transmissions.
Here's a good video on how to set it up: 1972 K25 - Lokar Shift Linkage Part 2 - YouTube

LOL, I'll need to spend some time inspecting and evaluating the operation of the shifter... 3 days should do it... I'll just come get it for the weekend. ;)

Hart_Rod 05-23-2014 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucks68 (Post 6690044)
LOL, I'll need to spend some time inspecting and evaluating the operation of the shifter... 3 days should do it... I'll just come get it for the weekend. ;)

Keys are in it....;). You'll have to put the vent windows back in before you can drive it though......:devil:.

C10_ustacould 05-23-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 6690062)
Keys are in it....;). You'll have to put the vent windows back in before you can drive it though......:devil:.

:lol: I've done a few of those recently, wouldn't take a minute.

lolife99 05-23-2014 10:24 AM

Buck,... the track width of your front wheels has bugged me ever since you put them on.
Are you sure they are 5.25" backspace?
I just checked on AR's website and they only show a 4.95" BS on the 20x8.5 wheel.
http://www.americanracing.com/wheels...8017/techsheet
It won't be an issue with your narrowed Porterbuilt a-arms,... but I was trying to see why they stuck out as far as they did.
Does your truck have the Modular CPP spindles on it?

It appears the rear 20x9.5 wheels have a 5.84" BS,... that's why you were so close to your wheel tubs.

C10_ustacould 05-23-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 6690175)
Buck,... the track width of your front wheels has bugged me ever since you put them on.
Are you sure they are 5.25" backspace?
I just checked on AR's website and they only show a 4.95" BS on the 20x8.5 wheel.
http://www.americanracing.com/wheels...8017/techsheet
It won't be an issue with your narrowed Porterbuilt a-arms,... but I was trying to see why they stuck out as far as they did.
Does your truck have the Modular CPP spindles on it?

It appears the rear 20x9.5 wheels have a 5.84" BS,... that's why you were so close to your wheel tubs.

You know I never measured, I thought I read the backspacings were 5.25 and 5.50... Went back and checked Tommy's ads and it states the 9.5s are a 5.85 bs, I over looked it. No matter as I like the tucked look they have, just need to get the front tucked too. :metal: My current spindles are not the modular style but I will be swapping to 63-70 drop spindles to better work with the rack n pinion in my PB kit so I will certainly have them when it's done and on coil overs. :)