The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Blood Sweat and Tears.. 67 Build Thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=651356)

knomadd 07-31-2016 09:56 PM

Re: Blood Sweat and Tears.. 67 Build Thread

Nice score with the wheels!

Possmguts 08-12-2016 12:58 PM

Home again and working on that bed side... now that the bed is apart and I can put the side on my stands its much easier to work on... Ive got the tin canning out and have been using the hammers and dolly on it and have it about as close as I can get it now... I did have to cut a big chunk of the inner wall out so I could get at the outer shell more gooder from the inside, but its coming along better than I thought it was going to when I started on it... Ill post some pics later... On another note.. why am I only able to find a lower rear patch for the long bed and not one for the short bed???

Lotta trouble to go through to save a few bucks, but Im getting some experience out of the deal.

Possmguts 08-13-2016 12:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Working out all the kinks in this pass side bed side... I think Im gonna go ahead and pull the inside wall off so I can get inside and get it coated and worked out more gooder... That inside wall needs some work too. Ive already had to cut a chunk out of the inside to be able to work out the heat stressed area on the outside where I welded a thousand holes shut from where they had about 5000 lbs of bondo...

flashed 08-13-2016 06:51 PM

Looks good ,I need to get busy on one of my trucks and find it a new home .

Possmguts 08-14-2016 06:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Before and after shots on the worst and biggest section of that bed side...

Advanced Design 08-14-2016 06:50 PM

Big improvement...that came out really well!

Possmguts 08-14-2016 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7683208)
Big improvement...that came out really well!

Thank you sir... few more areas on that side and then patching up the inside wall and then back to the drivers side... saving money to make the rest of the bed parts order... And then trying to figure out how to do the fuel fill once its back together on the truck...

Not sure exactly what Im gonna do there just yet

flashed 08-14-2016 09:38 PM

Looks much better ,staying tuned in for more.

swamp rat 08-14-2016 10:30 PM

Ok, how in the h... did you do that bodywork so damned fast??!!??!! I'm ready to punt... I'd be on that bedside for at least 3 months.. Did you stay away from the body line? or shape it? how many applications of mud? Long board or DA? I need to learn how to speed things up.

jim-bob 08-15-2016 01:19 AM

...Ima Hanging

Possmguts 08-15-2016 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 7683469)
Ok, how in the h... did you do that bodywork so damned fast??!!??!! I'm ready to punt... I'd be on that bedside for at least 3 months.. Did you stay away from the body line? or shape it? how many applications of mud? Long board or DA? I need to learn how to speed things up.

lol.. there's only 2 thin layers of mud and a little glaze on it... I use a big piece of Plexiglas on big areas for spreading... It really helps speed it up... and then DA with 50 grit to get it down it down and then use like an 18 inch block with 80 grit to finish... and then use the high build with finer grit with the block...The body lines was not an issue on this spot.

lower50's 08-15-2016 08:26 AM

That panel turned out amazing looks really nice and straight.

swamp rat 08-15-2016 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Possmguts (Post 7683677)
lol.. there's only 2 thin layers of mud and a little glaze on it... I use a big piece of Plexiglas on big areas for spreading... It really helps speed it up... and then DA with 50 grit to get it down it down and then use like an 18 inch block with 80 grit to finish... and then use the high build with finer grit with the block...The body lines was not an issue on this spot.

I have seen video's of people using Sheetrock mud blades to spread the mud. so you mixed a rather large amount of mudd, a couple cups per application? I'm using the 1'x1' onion brand paper stacked mixing board where you mix, apply then throw away the top sheet of paper, maybe i need to find a bunch of cardboard boxes and mix larger amounts..

Is your high build a quart can or spray can? brand?

I have been using 80 grit on my long board but following that with 180, It still takes many applications of my spray can high build to get everything filled.

In your pic is that high build Primer or is that K2?

Possmguts 08-15-2016 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 7683916)
I have seen video's of people using Sheetrock mud blades to spread the mud. so you mixed a rather large amount of mudd, a couple cups per application? I'm using the 1'x1' onion brand paper stacked mixing board where you mix, apply then throw away the top sheet of paper, maybe i need to find a bunch of cardboard boxes and mix larger amounts..

Is your high build a quart can or spray can? brand?

I have been using 80 grit on my long board but following that with 180, It still takes many applications of my spray can high build to get everything filled.

In your pic is that high build Primer or is that K2?

I just mix about 1/2 to 3/4 fist size amounts at the most. Ill use a soft plastic blade to work it into the rough area and then go to the Plexiglas sheet I have to get a really wide, smooth swipe to get it close to the body shape and pull off the excess amount... what I mix on is a drywall mud plate with a handle on it and just clean it after each use. The high build Im using is in the gallon and I use a primmer gun to spray, but really dont have to use much.. maybe 2 or 3 good coats at first and then a light coat between sanding with different grits until I get to 150 grit. Ill later go over the whole truck with finner gits to get to the surface ready for color. The glaze I use is extremely workable and eliminates a lot of the high build... It flows really nice and thin.
I also go over the area getting filler with a 30 grit disk to really rough the metal up to get that grabby surface for a really strong hold.

This pic is basically my body kit... minus the welder... and the smaller and different shaped blocks

By the way... The pro grade bondo is much more workable than the regular

swamp rat 08-15-2016 04:39 PM

I appreciate the pic and explanation, I'm slowly getting better.

Possmguts 09-05-2016 01:55 PM

Not gonna be any real updates for a while.. I bought a new Kenworth and will be on the road a lot more for a while... Taking some of the c10 to paint jail tomorrow to drop off.

Advanced Design 09-05-2016 02:06 PM

Congratulations on the new KW!

ripper70 09-05-2016 03:43 PM

Nice Job! Its Like I tell everyone...Slowly but surely!My problem is I always seem to start another project...lol.

flashed 09-06-2016 12:33 PM

Show us a pic of the new ride ,would love to see it .

Possmguts 09-06-2016 04:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My latest bad decision lol...

flashed 09-06-2016 04:42 PM

That is a nice rig ,are you an independent operator or lease to a company ?

Possmguts 09-06-2016 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7705566)
That is a nice rig ,are you an independent operator or lease to a company ?

I signed on with a Small company in North Dakota that a friend of mine also pulls for.

RRR18 09-09-2016 11:46 AM

Well.....least I know who to ask when I need truck towed somewhere.:ele:

Possmguts 09-11-2016 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Went for a little imaginary cruise today... She ran like a champ and I smoked a couple mustangs and a few ricers...

flashed 09-11-2016 02:20 PM

You look good behind the wheel .I used to always love riding in the big rig when our Lowboy driver had to deliver a trackhoe to an out of state jobsite and I had to go help him unload it ,miss the good old days .