The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Johns 66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=734699)

Johns 66 02-09-2019 01:39 PM

Re: Johns 66

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8462201)
That looks awesome. I love it...and love the big truck grille. Now I need one...someday! I thought you were going to chrome "Chevrolet" also, but I think painted will look nicer...make it stand out more.

Nah...Ill Paint it like this...I took this idea from Maggies truck build...I think it looks really trick...although not original...it should have been ..lol

This is what it will look like when finished completely....This is Maggies Truck

PS...I know where there is one at...jus sayin

cwcarpenter98 02-09-2019 01:59 PM

Ooooh shiney Looks absolutely beautiful :metal:

cwcarpenter98 02-10-2019 12:06 AM

Hey John, not sure if you have decided on what color between the trim on the bed and door, but I wanted to let you know that I saw a 65 c10 or c20 long fleet custom cab that was white with the same red/maroon stripe that yours had. Unfortunately I was not able to get a pic of the truck, but it looked like it might have been original paint. It's not far from the house, so I might be able to head back up there in a couple of days to snag a pic

Johns 66 02-10-2019 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8462647)
Hey John, not sure if you have decided on what color between the trim on the bed and door, but I wanted to let you know that I saw a 65 c10 or c20 long fleet custom cab that was white with the same red/maroon stripe that yours had. Unfortunately I was not able to get a pic of the truck, but it looked like it might have been original paint. It's not far from the house, so I might be able to head back up there in a couple of days to snag a pic

That would be so cool Christian....I am gonna go back white with the red stripe.

cwcarpenter98 02-10-2019 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8462665)
That would be so cool Christian....I am gonna go back white with the red stripe.

Sweet, I think that will look great. I'll see if I can get a chance to head that way later this week. Got two tests this week, so those come first

straight6chevyguy 02-10-2019 02:03 AM

The grille looks great John!

Johns 66 02-11-2019 09:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
They say in life you should always be learning...Well I was Baptized by fire today.....and in the process learned many things...learned what I didn't know, and learned a lil bit about doing body work...some do's and a lot of dont's

I block sanded both beds, the header panel, rear cross brace, and the cowl piece....My initial intent today was get everything sanded with 80 grit and spray epoxy primer and 2 coats of high build tomorrow...That was the plan......the best laid plans of mice and men as they say.

I did get all the parts sanded with 80 and had some glazing putty with me and decided that I would fix some of the small areas...LOL..YEAH RIGHT

First thing I learned is glazing putty sets up quick...real quick. Maybe I used too much hardener...but anyways I finally got what I thought would be enough spread and started block sanding with 80 grit again...and quickly realized that I was wasting my time...but got it all sanded down. I see now why they smear filler over the whole panel and then sand it off....I had highs and lows with the glazing putty.....basically I would have had a wavy bed side....I mainly was concentrating on the inside of the bedside and after trial and error most of the day I think tomorrow I will smear filler on all the flat area, wood upward.

I also learned what a properly blocked area looks like and while it was a small area I now know what I am looking for when blocking, also learned that when you apply filler/putty that you need to use a longer block.

All in all it was a good day, didn't get a lot of progress but learned what to do going forward ……..So the new plan is to get all the filler work done, get the panels blocked down to 180 then I will epoxy prime and the 2 coats of high build primer, then block down dry 220 then 400 then wet sand 500 then 600....My hopes are that will get me good enough to put color and clear on it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I think this is a learning process and the more I do the better I will get and learn what to do and what not to do.

At this point I am not really sure how much the high build primer will cover.....hopefully I will have these 4 pieces done by Saturday then epoxy and high build them

kdad 02-12-2019 02:58 AM

Looks great John....

Android04 02-12-2019 02:15 PM

Looks good!

Johns 66 02-12-2019 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdad (Post 8464168)
Looks great John....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Android04 (Post 8464472)
Looks good!

Thanks fellas.....more in next post

Johns 66 02-12-2019 07:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well with my new found enthusiasm I started today and the goal was to get one piece done....If you look at the overall project you will lose your mind and get discouraged easy. My inexperience in body work is kinda telling on itself a little bit in that Im not sure what will show. I can finish furniture and wood so with that in mind I started.

I smeared filler on a lot of the bedside in and out and then commenced sanding with 80 grit....only to sand it down and still had small dents...more like pings...then I finally realized its not like spreading sheetrock mud where you press hard....need more of a light touch.....So I spread filler again...lightly this time so it will fill all the low places.

Sanded in and out with 80, put a guide coat on the sanded with 180....It took a little bit of doing but got the hang of it by the time the outside was done......so the passenger side and the rear cross piece is block sanded down to 180...YAY

SCOTI 02-12-2019 07:27 PM

Back in the day when I was in Jr college paint/body classes (more than a decade ago) the drill was:

*High quality epoxy first on a stripped & prepped panel.
*Then rough up where the filler is going to go.
*Thoroughly clean the surface.
*Prep & apply filler.
*File & block as needed.
*Repeat as necessary using proper guide-coat for the Highs/Lows.

I guess things have changed.

Johns 66 02-12-2019 07:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ALSO today was a good news bad news from Bryan. Besides some finish welding the drivers side will be done......He also got the passenger side NOS door drilled for the mirror and somehow welded some nuts on the back side so I can simply bolt it in...kinda like the drivers side. Since this was an option back in 66 they didn't come pre-drilled with captive nuts.....

BUT then he told me about my bed wheel wells....He said when they got blasted they were pretty much gone...big holes filled with bondo and undercoating so I will have no choice but the get new ones.....

Boy my "Pretty Much Rust Free" truck isn't what they said it was....I guess the PO didn't lie to me because instead of rust they just made body panels out on bondo...I guess that's why the PO wont take my calls...lol

Johns 66 02-12-2019 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8464713)
Back in the day when I was in Jr college paint/body classes (more than a decade ago) the drill was:

*High quality epoxy first on a stripped & prepped panel.
*Then rough up where the filler is going to go.
*Thoroughly clean the surface.
*Prep & apply filler.
*File & block as needed.
*Repeat as necessary using proper guide-coat for the Highs/Lows.

I guess things have changed.

Oh Im sure they probably haven't....Im just a real newby at this as in never done it.

The one bedside you see was blasted and I had it coated with epoxy primer...that and the rear cross brace for nearly 400.00...no sanding just sprayed the primer...bout fell out....Then decided I can do this...

So here is my plan going forward......I got the one bedside that was epoxied block sanded down to 180....I will then spray epoxy primer on it , them high build primer and block with 220, etc...down 600 and ready for color.

The header panel and drivers side are replacement parts and edp coated...I blocked then down with 80 and found only a few places than need filler, Once I get filler applied and blocked I will block it down to 180 and then repeat the epoxy/high build process .

Am I missing something?

demckenz 02-12-2019 08:08 PM

Good work. Was wondering on the green engine paint if anyone checked out the Buick green? The Alpine green looks a little light. I got the code for Detroit Diesel/Alpine Green.

Darrell

Johns 66 02-13-2019 10:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Couple more updates......Progress is always good.

Didn't work on the ole girl today had some church things to do...but did organize my parts and realized one of my backup lamps is ate up....so rusted couldn't get the bulb out normally....had to pry it out and then broke the socket....So now gotta get another one.

cwcarpenter98 02-13-2019 10:22 PM

The cab is looking great! They do some great work there

Johns 66 02-13-2019 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8465696)
The cab is looking great! They do some great work there

Yes Sir...Bryan and his crew are top notch

kdad 02-14-2019 02:01 PM

Looking very nice. Bryan and his crew are doing some great work there. Trust me its not as easy as it looks. Throws hammer across garage....LOL

roll_the_dice 02-14-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdad (Post 8466060)
Looking very nice. Bryan and his crew are doing some great work there. Trust me its not as easy as it looks. Throws hammer across garage....LOL

Better be careful...might throw the hammer and accidentally hit the truck and cause more work!

Looking great John! I've got to learn how to weld...never expect to be at that level, but I want to learn.

Johns 66 02-14-2019 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdad (Post 8466060)

Oh How I know...I tried to MIG weld a spot on the door....way out of my league...just kept burning holes.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8466073)
Better be careful...might throw the hammer and accidentally hit the truck and cause more work!

Looking great John! I've got to learn how to weld...never expect to be at that level, but I want to learn.

Yeah learned long time ago that throwing things just cost me more money......Bryan has a TIG welding class he offers periodically...I may just have to go learn some things.

Johns 66 02-14-2019 07:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok...for todays episode of "Rust Free Truck"/ "Not A Show Truck"

Continued to sand on the bed sides, header panel and I THINK I have them ready for primer...They are all blocked down to 180. Will put epoxy and then high build on them Saturday.

Also got the bed braces scuffed down and coated with POR 15 along with the bottom side of the rear rock guards. I sure hope this POR15 stuff is as good as they say it is....then again I probably wont be here in another 50 years to find out...Maybe Christian will be able to document it in his old age...lol

And lastly the wonderful gauge reface kit I bought was JUNK...Andy went to put them on and JUNK...they had what looked like waves in the decals.....SOOOO Called LMC and there are gonna send me another set out.

cwcarpenter98 02-14-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8466253)
Maybe Christian will be able to document it in his old age...lol

Now that's funny right there :lol: Might not even be able to drive them 50 years from now if driverless cars become a thing. That's a scary thought

kdad 02-15-2019 12:55 PM

I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to learn welding in the back yard from dad. He demanded that I learn to Oxy/Acetylene weld and cut and then become very proficient at arc welding. Applied that knowledge while working on my uncles farm as a young teenager through the summers and again working for another uncles trucking company in the winters and then again in High school where they taught Mig and Tig welding. Back when shop class was highly regarded as a necessity. Spent many a night in the shop welding aluminum and chromoly for local sprint car teams in California. After 40 years of welding I too still have my moments.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8466201)
Oh How I know...I tried to MIG weld a spot on the door....way out of my league...just kept burning holes.....

I also learned years ago to never throw a tool near the project... always throw in the opposite direction.. LOL
Yeah learned long time ago that throwing things just cost me more money......Bryan has a TIG welding class he offers periodically...I may just have to go learn some things.

Never hurts to expand ones knowledge base that's for sure....

Johns 66 02-15-2019 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8466285)
Now that's funny right there :lol: Might not even be able to drive them 50 years from now if driverless cars become a thing. That's a scary thought

Yeah....Black Market gas and out running the Po Po!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdad (Post 8466698)
I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to learn welding in the back yard from dad. He demanded that I learn to Oxy/Acetylene weld and cut and then become very proficient at arc welding. Applied that knowledge while working on my uncles farm as a young teenager through the summers and again working for another uncles trucking company in the winters and then again in High school where they taught Mig and Tig welding. Back when shop class was highly regarded as a necessity. Spent many a night in the shop welding aluminum and chromoly for local sprint car teams in California. After 40 years of welding I too still have my moments. Never hurts to expand ones knowledge base that's for sure....

That is so cool...My Uncles taught me how to do woodworking which does come in handy...building cabinets and furniture and hobby projects which I do enjoy but welding would sure help a lot. I know you cant know how to do everything but I think I will surely take Bryans class next time he offers it.