The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

midniteblues 05-19-2016 11:22 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

5 Attachment(s)
Here is a few more.
I had to replace the oil pan as it was pretty rusty.
I used the oil dip stick from the van and cut it down some but kept it longer than the oe one so it's a easy reach in the 4x4 engine bay.
I have the block set up for the idiot lite dash and for a set of autometers.
Gotta find 2 more heat shields for the front plugs.
The only breather I had that would fit the smaller valve cover gromit had a dent in the top. So in a way of paying homage to a 400 I added the cheesy caprice emblem too the dented breather:lol:.

I have a metal tube(on the air cleaner)that goes into the crossover in the intake next too the choke tube.
I think the tube went to a valve at the outlet of the ps exhaust manifold witch I no longer have. So I'm not quite sure if I need it or not will my choke still work right if I plug the hole?

The ups guy dropped off My 400ci flywheel this morning:metal:

And this brush guard followed me home from cl last nite:lol:
I couldn't find another like it on my Google search it could be home made but for the $25. I paid for it its good enough for me and it fits great and bolted rite up....more dirty work.

Then on the way home we come across a gas powered ez go
Golf cart we Offered 2 beans for it...they excepted and we loaded it up.
My bud said let's come back with the trailer. Oh heal no its a hour drive to get here I'll make it fit NOW!
Holey cow if I had pics of all the crap I've ever had loaded in this lil' truck...the piano and a skid of pavers were the worst.

palallin 05-19-2016 10:56 PM

Well, my truck woke up on the wrong side of the bed and ran crappy all day. Felt and sounded like it was running on maybe 6 cylinders or less. Exhaust smelled of less-than-fully-burnt gas.

So, when I got home from work, I started pulling things apart to see what was amiss. I noticed that the hose on the breather line from the air cleaner to the valve cover was separated from the steel elbow, so I pulled the cleaner off and then tried to pull the fitting out of the valve cover. It pulled the top half of the grommet off with it, so I had to pull the valve cover to fish the bottom pieces of the grommet out of the baffle. (I discovered in the process that I need new valve cover gaskets, but that's a project for another day.) I need to get a new grommet, obviously.

Then I pulled the distributer cap off (HEI). The center contact is burned, and the 8 wire contacts are pretty nasty, too. The center contact and the rotating contact on the rotor are also in bad shape. PITButt getting the cap off so close to the firewall.

So the next step is to buy a new cap and rotor. I don't know how much a coil is, but I think I might get one of those, too. These parts have bee there at least since 2003, maybe longer.

I am hopeful that this will cure the problem, but, even if it doesn't, it needed to happen anyway.

palallin 05-19-2016 10:57 PM

Midniteblues: THAT is a pretty Mouse!

midniteblues 05-20-2016 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palallin (Post 7598793)
Midniteblues: THAT is a pretty Mouse!

Thanks man ....sometimes I try to do good.:lol:

mike16 05-20-2016 02:34 AM

bought a cap rotor plugs some fuel line and an air filter..... oh.... and added another qt of oil

VWNate1 05-20-2016 10:13 AM

Wow that grille looks great ! .

I bought a GM Heritage grille , no way the body man could make it fit :whine: back on went the old one .

I don't think those headers were ' ruined ' .

If you're not going to use the choke stove you'll have to put a brass plug in the hole so it doesn't puff soot all over your lovely engine .

My truck is mostly stock but I searched until I found some long oil and ATF dipsticks from a G Series van , now I don't have to reach in at all to check my oil and tranny :lol: .

Rich69shortfleet 05-20-2016 05:23 PM

Was going to order some Digi-Tails LED taillights but their website if FUBAR.

SoCoC10 05-20-2016 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nothi'n like fresh carpet.

VWNate1 05-20-2016 11:02 PM

Nice carpet ! .

I'm thinking of using green carpet to match the paint....

dmjlambert 05-21-2016 12:36 AM

You guys are way ahead of me. Today I flapped what was left of the rotten carpet out of the way and pried the rust-locked connector loose from the old decrepit high/low beam switch as it fell apart in my hands. Worked loose the screws, cleaned them up, and put in a brand new switch. I love it! Works great! My first use of a #3 phillips screwdriver in a long time.

firedemon 05-21-2016 04:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
tried to sand blast the bed today didn't work out going to have to try some chemical first . like the look of the flat black though

66clow 05-21-2016 04:23 PM

Finally got the truck road worthy. First fill up, got it weighed so I can get my tags, needed in California, first wash, and made the hour and half ride home yeah!
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...pss3vvdvce.jpg
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...ps46uzqkpa.jpg
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...psf5vmvo2g.jpg
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...psqzk8m5rj.jpg

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 05-23-2016 12:11 AM

Pulled my retract seat belts. They sure cleaned up nicely. Other than one faint scratch in a boot ("pictured" on right) the boots are like new. The interior on these trucks were sure made well. Cloth seats excluded, IMO.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...e8&oe=57DB7BAC

70STOVEBOLT 05-23-2016 01:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not today, but I forgot to post when I did this. Fabbed a bracket for my fuel psi regulator.
Gotta remove it for paint yet...

Rich69shortfleet 05-23-2016 01:35 PM

Bought LED taillights, side markers and front park/turn lamps.

OregonNed 05-23-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT (Post 7602492)
Not today, but I forgot to post when I did this. Fabbed a bracket for my fuel psi regulator.
Gotta remove it for paint yet...

That looks great! I want to find a regulator for my carb- may I ask what you went with? Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device

70STOVEBOLT 05-23-2016 01:42 PM

I used a Mallory 4207 that I bought from member Madmartigan. You can get them thru Summit, Jegs, etc. I used the Eddy fuel line kit with filter, then used a 45 degree flare female swivel - to - 3/8 male pipe adapter, then a brass 3/8 pipe street elbow. I made a new fuel line to go from the mechanical fuel pump to the elbow coming out of the regulator.
I used a Holley non liquid-filled gauge, as I read the liquid filled ones are not accurate once the underhood temps come up. I have about $100 in the setup, but I got a good deal on the line kit (Amazon, it was a returned item so it was discounted) and regulator. The bracket was just a piece of scrap steel that I cut with a bandsaw and rounded the edges with a bench grinder, then bent it in a vice with a soft hammer. I made a template out of paperboard beforehand and it fit perfectly.

tommy3horse 05-23-2016 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Over the weekend, I noticed a slight vibration when applying the brakes, seeming like the rears. This morning I pulled the drums and found the shoes needed replaced along with a turn on the brake lathe. Headed to pick-up the drums now, was a lot easier that I expected, like all the other drum brakes I have ever done over the years.

88Stanger 05-23-2016 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Lip Fab (Post 7595853)
Dimpled my door panels over the weekend.

that is a cool idea!

tdangle 05-23-2016 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
At some point the vac canister must have broken thru the mounting on the side of the AC box under the hood. Dad just covered the huge holes with gray duct tape and remounted it lower which also got broken at some point. I cut and mounted a plate to cover and seal the holes and remounted the new vacuum ball.

At some point in the future I may try to find a new AC box half, but for now it works.

Attachment 1535859

OregonNed 05-23-2016 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT (Post 7602510)
I used a Mallory 4207 that I bought from member Madmartigan. You can get them thru Summit, Jegs, etc. I used the Eddy fuel line kit with filter, then used a 45 degree flare female swivel - to - 3/8 male pipe adapter, then a brass 3/8 pipe street elbow. I made a new fuel line to go from the mechanical fuel pump to the elbow coming out of the regulator.
I used a Holley non liquid-filled gauge, as I read the liquid filled ones are not accurate once the underhood temps come up. I have about $100 in the setup, but I got a good deal on the line kit (Amazon, it was a returned item so it was discounted) and regulator. The bracket was just a piece of scrap steel that I cut with a bandsaw and rounded the edges with a bench grinder, then bent it in a vice with a soft hammer. I made a template out of paperboard beforehand and it fit perfectly.

Awesome. Thanks for sharing the information.
Posted via Mobile Device

70STOVEBOLT 05-23-2016 05:02 PM

Not a problem, glad to help.

slo72c10 05-23-2016 05:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
New seats started interior

Rich69shortfleet 05-23-2016 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slo72c10 (Post 7602704)

Are those Procar Pro90 lowback seats? If so, how do you like them? I was toying with the idea of installing those in my truck. I can get them at Speedway Motors which is local to me so I'd save a ton on shipping.

ole dollor 05-23-2016 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slo72c10 (Post 7602704)

those look nice, love me some bucket seats .....