The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

idbeast 09-14-2019 06:38 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

3 Attachment(s)
I just got home from a car show of almost 150 cars and trucks, and I actually won a trophy! I guess the time on the dash helped, It was for Distinguished Dash. Exciting feeling to see a "dot" on my headlight!

jweb 09-14-2019 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8593428)
so I tried another idea. Disconected the front line at the m/c & plugged that port. Left the rear line connected.
Pushed the pedal with the engine off. it went down 3" & was firm. started engine, pushed pedal & it went to the floor.
Now im wondering if the m/c doesn't have enough volume in the rear chamber to make the rear brakes work.
Any thoughts?

Did you check the pushrod length?
https://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/916-31939.pdf

That could also be the problem

nvrdone 09-14-2019 09:04 PM

push rod length has been checked & is correct.
I did move the rear brake line to the front chamber port. pedal stays firm with engine off or running.
so today I ran across another idea while searching the internet.
Some one else had a similar problem and it turned out that his m/c didn't have enough fluid volume in the chamber to move the wheel cylinders. they didn't match the m/c.
so I checked mine. I have 1" wheel cylinders and the match to the m/c is 13/16"
that's not much but its worth changing them out. wish me luck.

cyril 09-14-2019 09:13 PM

Cruse in @ The Sonic in town. Major HOT only about 10 others showed

jweb 09-14-2019 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8593510)
push rod length has been checked & is correct.
I did move the rear brake line to the front chamber port. pedal stays firm with engine off or running.
so today I ran across another idea while searching the internet.
Some one else had a similar problem and it turned out that his m/c didn't have enough fluid volume in the chamber to move the wheel cylinders. they didn't match the m/c.
so I checked mine. I have 1" wheel cylinders and the match to the m/c is 13/16"
that's not much but its worth changing them out. wish me luck.

I might have missed it but what m/c do you have? Some of them from the 80’s/90’s the rear brake lines connect to the front of the master. Also if you didn’t bleed the air at the proportioning valve it can still have air trapped or the valve can be stuck.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qPLaPv8DITE

oldman3 09-14-2019 11:32 PM

idbeast, congrats...Jim

DransportGarage 09-15-2019 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idbeast (Post 8593439)
I just got home from a car show of almost 150 cars and trucks, and I actually won a trophy! I guess the time on the dash helped, It was for Distinguished Dash. Exciting feeling to see a "dot" on my headlight!

Well-deserved!

idbeast 09-15-2019 07:31 AM

Thanks Jim and Bob!!!

nvrdone 09-15-2019 02:54 PM

jweb: the m/c was included in the kit from CPP. its a 79 mustang booster & m/c - disc / drum. the instructions say that the chamber closest to the booster ( larger one) is for the front brakes and the smaller chamber is for the rear brakes. to use drum brakes on the front, add a 10# check valve. with drum brakes, there is no proportioning valve.
if changing the rear wheel cylinders doesn't work, the next step would be to chance to a corvette style disc /disc m/c with 10# check valves in each side.

DransportGarage 09-15-2019 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8593889)
jweb: the m/c was included in the kit from CPP. its a 79 mustang booster & m/c - disc / drum. the instructions say that the chamber closest to the booster ( larger one) is for the front brakes and the smaller chamber is for the rear brakes. to use drum brakes on the front, add a 10# check valve. with drum brakes, there is no proportioning valve.
if changing the rear wheel cylinders doesn't work, the next step would be to chance to a corvette style disc /disc m/c with 10# check valves in each side.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you use 2# check valves with disc brakes, and 10# with drums.

Black_Sheep 09-15-2019 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8594157)
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you use 2# check valves with disc brakes, and 10# with drums.

correct

nvrdone 09-15-2019 11:19 PM

dansportgarage: you are correct. since ive still got the stock drums front & rear, I do have the 10# check valve in the front. The master cylinder is a disc / drum so that makes me think there is a check valve in the rear brake port in the m/c

MiraclePieCo 09-17-2019 03:13 AM

What did I do with my truck today? I entered it in the TOTM contest! YAY! :metal:

idbeast 09-17-2019 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8594188)
dansportgarage: you are correct. since ive still got the stock drums front & rear, I do have the 10# check valve in the front. The master cylinder is a disc / drum so that makes me think there is a check valve in the rear brake port in the m/c

As I recall someone not too long ago was having the same problem, turned out to be a bad M/C

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8594800)
What did I do with my truck today? I entered it in the TOTM contest! YAY! :metal:

Way to go!!!!

Jim W

gigamanx 09-17-2019 09:08 PM

Now that the truck is up and running, playing with small projects. Installed an F bomb under the hood.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...89c2445a_z.jpg

idbeast 09-18-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigamanx (Post 8595076)
Now that the truck is up and running, playing with small projects. Installed an F bomb under the hood.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...89c2445a_z.jpg

I like it!!! :barn:

Jim W

MARTINSR 09-19-2019 07:25 PM

So cool to see you guys getting stuff done, getting to shows, so cool. I am still on hold with even touching mine after the move, can't wait to get back to my 5 minutes a day plan!

Brian

DransportGarage 09-19-2019 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8596001)
So cool to see you guys getting stuff done, getting to shows, so cool. I am still on hold with even touching mine after the move, can't wait to get back to my 5 minutes a day plan!

Brian

Well, hey! At least you're in Idaho!

idbeast 09-19-2019 11:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8596001)

Brian

That's okay, I'll do 10 minutes a day to include you!!!

Temporarily installed the rear bumper to see how lose it would fit, not bad, but the repop bumper mounts need to go to work with me tomorrow so I can fix the bend in the 3/8 flat bar that is not at a 90 degree angle and trim the bottom of the mount where it attaches to the bumper as it will majorly tweak my chrome as it doesn't fit the crease in the bumper.

Jim W

MARTINSR 09-20-2019 09:34 AM

The most profound thing I have ever heard referring to reproduction parts. A friend of mine said it when he opened the box with some parts he got for his '65 Corvette years ago.

"If they wanted to be honest, instead of putting in the catalog Exactly as original, they would put, Similar to original, can be used if nothing else is available"

Yep

Brian

DransportGarage 09-20-2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8596259)
The most profound thing I have ever heard referring to reproduction parts. A friend of mine said it when he opened the box with some parts he got for his '65 Corvette years ago.

"If they wanted to be honest, instead of putting in the catalog Exactly as original, they would put, Similar to original, can be used if nothing else is available"

Yep

Brian

I've only seen one company do that, and it's a Pontiac parts source called Ames Performance Engineering.

MARTINSR 09-20-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8596290)
I've only seen one company do that, and it's a Pontiac parts source called Ames Performance Engineering.

Good for them, they are honest!

Brian

Tempest67 09-20-2019 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you have a Pontiac, Ames is the best in the business

mobileortho 09-20-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobileortho (Post 8527783)
Removed another leaf from the rear (the three main ones remain). Can’t go any lower with this rim/tire combo.

Gotta move on to plan B. The drive shaft hits the emergency brake cross bar when I foot "accidentally" push the accelerator to hard! :lol: Putting the 4th leaf back in and adding a c-notch.

DransportGarage 09-20-2019 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest67 (Post 8596422)
If you have a Pontiac, Ames is the best in the business

Yes, they are...