The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

lilred2 05-26-2016 11:56 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

1 Attachment(s)
Started getting my new Boyd tank installed and adjusted the valves.

firedemon 05-26-2016 09:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
got the speakers out from under the seat and the kick panels in what a difference . going to have to do something with the interior doors when grumpy new door panels get here that sky blue aint going to cut it . originally was planning on pulling the doors and stripping them out when I get ready to paint the outside so I didn't paint them when I did the rest but now with all the rest mostly finished its going to bother me that they look so bad

matthamby 05-27-2016 07:49 PM

Just dropped off my seat to have it patched. 2006 Silverado seats, driver's side has a hole in the fabric and into the foam, he said it may be done tomorrow, I hope so!

FLA_Instigator 05-27-2016 10:12 PM

Today the cab got insulated, next on the list is heater by-pass valves to stop the flow of heat through the blower. This pic was before all the seams were taped up. All told less than $50.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps5kjaqqy6.jpg

DarkFlounder 05-29-2016 12:08 AM

Finally had the time to diagnose my lack of horn. Connection point under horn was filthy and simply needed to be cleaned.

Dual horn setup, one horn working, one horn not working. Soaking the non-working horn in WD40 to see if that clears up the issue.

Either way, got a working horn. Better than leaning out the window and yelling at bay area drivers.

un4gvn! 05-29-2016 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich69shortfleet (Post 7602818)
Are those Procar Pro90 lowback seats? If so, how do you like them? I was toying with the idea of installing those in my truck. I can get them at Speedway Motors which is local to me so I'd save a ton on shipping.

I installed the same seat but with the head rest I love them. The only thing is if you use the procar seat frame that is made for our year trucks, they are really high. My head was about a inch and a half from the head liner and I couldn't see out my door window without bending down a little. The frame is nice and sturdy. I shortened mine two inches. Work s great now.

matthamby 05-29-2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by un4gvn! (Post 7608406)
I installed the same seat but with the head rest I love them. The only thing is if you use the procar seat frame that is made for our year trucks, they are really high. My head was about a inch and a half from the head liner and I couldn't see out my door window without bending down a little. The frame is nice and sturdy. I shortened mine two inches. Work s great now.

What is the height of your seats, I measured mine in the cab to be 15" from floor to top front of seat, the ones I'm planning on putting in are 13" measured the same way, I thought of making a frame that would bolt into the cab using factory holes then allowing me to use factory holes in the new seats while raising them between 2 to 3 inches.

midniteblues 05-29-2016 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up a set of these 8 lug accuride wheels yesterday from a local for less than a case of cheap beer.

I wouldn't pay any more than that for f#!d parts.
They cleaned up nicely though.
Even though it won't be correct(not much on the k will be) I'll spray them with some leftover 526 from my 67 build.

Metaldoc 05-29-2016 04:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just need to paint all the frame work, but all fits.

VWNate1 05-29-2016 05:50 PM

Horns are pretty easy to re awaken ~ you need a good battery and test light , test for continuity , if there's continuity *slowly* tighten the adjuster screw until the test light goes out then back it off -barely- until the light comes back on , mount it and test it ~ the adjuster is really sensitive , a 1/10th turn is a lot .

I always recommend using a relay in heavy current consumers like horns .

The older ones , you can drill out / grind off the rivets and polish the contacts , , re assemble and adjust to suit .

Remember ! : a horn will not sound correctly unless it's solidly mounted .

chevy2tom 05-29-2016 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaldoc (Post 7608897)
Just need to paint all the frame work, but all fits.

Metaldoc, more info on this setup please!

fleetimus 05-29-2016 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fabricating mounts & brackets on the BBC.

Metaldoc 05-29-2016 07:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy2tom (Post 7608994)
Metaldoc, more info on this setup please!

I used the original center holes to start. Re-drilled the cross members 6 1/8 on centers out from there. Welded nuts in all the holes. 1 1/2 x 3/16 flat bar as hold downs drilled 5/16 holes through. 5 3/8 x 1 composite deck board. I'll be using 1/4 x 1 allen cap screws from the top. I cut the boards from 12 foot lengths.
8 x 12' composite
10 x 1 1/2 x 3/16 flat bar
200 nuts, bolts

midniteblues 05-29-2016 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 7608966)
Horns are pretty easy to re awaken ~ you need a good battery and test light , test for continuity , if there's continuity *slowly* tighten the adjuster screw until the test light goes out then back it off -barely- until the light comes back on , mount it and test it ~ the adjuster is really sensitive , a 1/10th turn is a lot .

I always recommend using a relay in heavy current consumers like horns .

The older ones , you can drill out / grind off the rivets and polish the contacts , , re assemble and adjust to suit .

Remember ! : a horn will not sound correctly unless it's solidly mounted .

Dang nate wish I would known that before I chucked all the horns I had that didn't work highs and lows....live and learn.

SKT 05-29-2016 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaddyO2053 (Post 7595561)

Had some pics taken today for classic truck magazine

Attachment 1533723

Seriously!?!

A sharp looking truck like that and you're just gonna post one pic on this forum?

Let's see some more pics of this beauty!

wesmigletz 05-29-2016 09:30 PM

Drove 320 miles round-trip today in my 67 SWB to get a hood, grill and fender from forum member Inlandsurfer. I need these to replace the onse my son damaged when he smacked a pole.

VWNate1 05-30-2016 12:36 AM

Horn Service

Quote:

Originally Posted by midniteblues (Post 7609099)
Dang nate wish I would known that before I chucked all the horns I had that didn't work highs and lows....live and learn.

Yeah ;

Me too ! .

I used to chuck 'em back in the days when new ones were cheap but I never really liked the sound of the new ones , once I began taking apart and repairing old , dead and discarded Klaxons (motorized ah-OOO-gah) , I decided why not take apart a pre war BOSCH vibrator typ horn , then I began to experiment much to the dismay of everyone else wherever I worked , my Son , Ex Wife , Brother , Neighbors , etc. , etc. because I save them by the box full and rarely does any vehicle I have , ever use the original horns.....

My Base Model C/10 had the DeLuxe dual horns I stripped off some abandoned junker somewhere...

It takes a gentle touch but it's worth the effort IMO .

Lastly , when selecting horns , choose two horns that toot off key individually , when they both blow at the same time , they harmonize and sound musical ~ try it ~ .

69chevytrucker 05-30-2016 12:38 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-j6UGygoVw
made it go under its own power for the first time

OregonNed 05-30-2016 12:46 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Sanded the inside of the bed for the last couple of weeks, and also prepped some new parts. It got the first coats of primer today by my friend Justin, and now the sanding starts again.

66clow 05-30-2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesmigletz (Post 7609171)
Drove 320 miles round-trip today in my 67 SWB to get a hood, grill and fender from forum member Inlandsurfer. I need these to replace the onse my son damaged when he smacked a pole.

Did your son survive after he told you he wrecked the truck? :haha:

66clow 05-30-2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaldoc (Post 7609067)
I used the original center holes to start. Re-drilled the cross members 6 1/8 on centers out from there. Welded nuts in all the holes. 1 1/2 x 3/16 flat bar as hold downs drilled 5/16 holes through. 5 3/8 x 1 composite deck board. I'll be using 1/4 x 1 allen cap screws from the top. I cut the boards from 12 foot lengths.
8 x 12' composite
10 x 1 1/2 x 3/16 flat bar
200 nuts, bolts

Tell me you have an instructional video too. Let's see the final deal when complete. Those boards come slotted already on the sides? Looks great!

wesmigletz 05-30-2016 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66clow (Post 7609551)
Did your son survive after he told you he wrecked the truck? :haha:

Yeah, but just barely...

BTW, that is a picture of him with the tan truck in my avatar.

firedemon 05-30-2016 04:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
last 3 days actually got both quarters the hood and upper cowl all sanded to bare metal and primed . found way too much bondo going to be lots of work ahead

RodnRudy 05-30-2016 05:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I wire brushed the inside edge of the cab openings to get rid of the old glue from the weather strip, primed and spot painted them. Also got the top Da sanded ready for primer, seam sealer, and paint. I utilized an impromptu paint booth, the beech tree beside my garage!

66clow 05-30-2016 06:58 PM

Cancel spring wouldn't stay in place, I think a piece of the plastic broke off. Added a little jb weld to keep it in place. Tried to clean the speedo cable to get odometer working but problem must be in the trans gear. Aligned the hood a bit. Tightened the right valve cover was leaking a little in the rear.

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...psmiqgsjeh.jpg

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/...pslqbgupbr.jpg