The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

ghackett1 06-11-2023 09:38 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Quote:

Originally Posted by zicc1835 (Post 9211259)
nothing to my truck today ...but I went to a local car show and saw this 69 owner did the LS swap nice truck ...oh :):devil: and I took my 48 Pontiac and took Peoples choice award :metal:

Looks like a great car show! Thx for pics!

'68OrangeSunshine 06-11-2023 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zicc1835 (Post 9211346)
Yes sir::mm:

Cool.

OregonNed 06-12-2023 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Over the weekend I painted my new brake calipers to be ready prior to my brake conversion. Used high heat primer, followed by VHT high temp black and clear coat.

Rust_never_sleeps 06-13-2023 04:02 AM

Popped the rear lines off the combo valve and blew air through them to verify there were not obstructions.
RR finally bled out fine with low vacuum. LR still seems to have something constricting or perhaps leaking air
Will confirm both in the cold light of day

Casper42 06-14-2023 06:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
slapped my truck onto my chest - so far, much better fuel economy

72c20customcamper 06-14-2023 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cool shirt .

Towed the trailer over to my moms . It will be on the trailer tomorrow behind the motorhome . Should be in Macungie in the afternoon

Jiggers72-GMC 06-15-2023 07:03 AM

Nice T shirt Casper, very nice

have a safe trip yo PA Mark, lookin' good

samkost 06-15-2023 12:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
After chasing and correcting a couple of wiring/fuse box gremlins, I dropped the steering column (hopefully for the last time ;)) and replaced the 50 year old tachometer.

'68OrangeSunshine 06-15-2023 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samkost (Post 9212528)
After chasing and correcting a couple of wiring/fuse box gremlins, I dropped the steering column (hopefully for the last time ;)) and replaced the 50 year old tachometer.

How robust are those OEM tachs?
Will a reversed polarity burn them out?
[Asking for a friend.]

Casper42 06-15-2023 08:26 PM

why'd you need to drop the column? I got my cluster out "fairly" easily without - just a little finesse and wiggling. were you in attendance at Enumclaw the other week?

Quote:

Originally Posted by samkost (Post 9212528)

pjmoreland 06-16-2023 03:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally got around to stripping and painting these pulleys I got from Classic Bowties over a year ago in preparation for installing a Gen 5 Vintage Air system in a few weeks.

samkost 06-16-2023 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9212609)
How robust are those OEM tachs?
Will a reversed polarity burn them out?
[Asking for a friend.]

I replaced it with an aftermarket tach.
I’m unfamiliar with the reverse polarity you mention.

samkost 06-16-2023 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casper42 (Post 9212620)
why'd you need to drop the column? I got my cluster out "fairly" easily without - just a little finesse and wiggling. were you in attendance at Enumclaw the other week?

Just being careful.
Fresh paint mainly.
Oil gauge line, speedometer cable, dash harness clip and big clumsy hands for easier access. :lol:
I missed the Enumclaw show.

72c20customcamper 06-16-2023 02:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Found a nice period correct Coleman cooler at a reasonable price

Casper42 06-16-2023 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed Retrobright LED headlights, in Classic White. Far better visibility, and they look pretty close'ish to OEM. Classic Industries ran a 20% discount last weekend, so that really helped on this somewhat pricey purchase.

67C10Step 06-17-2023 06:53 PM

Wife and I took the truck on its furthest journey since putting it back on the road. Went to the annual car show and swap meet on Petit Jean mountain in Morrilton, AR. About 80 miles one way and the truck did fine. Did get me to thinking about vintage air though!
Picked up a pair of Chevrolet script valve covers for my little mouse motor. Gonna try to get those cleaned up and painted before the C10 shin dig in July in north AR.

Sheepdip 06-17-2023 08:52 PM

My GV Overdrive went on the blink a couple weeks ago and finally had time to trouble shoot it. I started with the easily accessible stuff and thankfully found it right away.

The button/switch on the manual gear shift has two bullet connectors GV supplied that feed into a little snap in telephone style connection adapter pigtail just before the controller, about 4" or so long. It grounds the milli-volt relay that powers the 12 volt solenoid to engage the OD.

I unplugged that phone connector from the controller and hit it with Electric Clean, plugged it back in...no dice.

Next I unplugged the two bullet connectors at the other end of the pigtail and hit them with Electric Clean, they tested with good continuity with the ohm meter so I knew the button was good, re-connected and... Bingo!
Dirty/bad connection at the bullets was the problem. I was a happy camper!:bann:

Rust_never_sleeps 06-20-2023 01:50 PM

Got the rear drums pressure bled, after failing multiple times to do so with vacuum(yes the shuttle valve was pinned). Had to finish building the Motive bleeder due to missing o-ring and their goofy clamping system, but it works really well once it seals.

indymachinist 06-20-2023 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Charged the A/C. Rode home with the windows closed in comfort. Oh yeah!

Steeveedee 06-20-2023 07:52 PM

Brought some glued-up wood for shelving home. Made a freeway run to warm up the bodily fluids while I was at it. Surging at idle. Probably needs a new needle and seat, again. Cliff Ruggle's kit lasted a few years. I got lazy and bought local, didn't get the ethanol-proof needle.

pjmoreland 06-21-2023 04:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Stripped and painted these original side mirrors

72c20customcamper 06-21-2023 10:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Have I said before I hate doing hoods . Four coats of filler primer dusted with guide coat , initial sand with 150 paper . Going up to 220 - 320- final is 400 since it’s a single stage paint

67C10Step 06-21-2023 05:40 PM

72c20,
How do you like the Durablocks for sanding? Saw some in different lengths at the swap meet last weekend and considered them since I am about to really get into the bodywork on my jeep project.

72c20customcamper 06-21-2023 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 9214142)
72c20,
How do you like the Durablocks for sanding? Saw some in different lengths at the swap meet last weekend and considered them since I am about to really get into the bodywork on my jeep project.

There are very good . I bought the big set at the Carlisle truck show two years ago prices are all over the place for the same set guess it depends on the seller . I did have a couple of them that I had bought years ago but never the whole set

pjmoreland 06-23-2023 01:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Installed some original mirror heads after painting them black. Painted this crusty lug wrench while I was at it.