The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   And so it begins................ (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=338536)

JohnC 10-05-2009 08:54 AM

Re: And so it begins................

It all starts with pulling the valve covers. Once you do that it's all over man. Next thing you know you will have parts laying everywhere. :lol:

highperf4x4 10-05-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnC (Post 3552747)
It all starts with pulling the valve covers. Once you do that it's all over man. Next thing you know you will have parts laying everywhere. :lol:

:lol:

Well I can't really do that. We're looking at moving soon so I can't just tear it down and go crazy yet. We'll see though.......... you never know!

While we're on the subject, ask your engine guy what he knows about the 402's

JohnC 10-05-2009 10:54 AM

I'll pm you his name and number.

nuke1 10-05-2009 03:29 PM

So did you get through the nite with sleep, deciding what you want for a motor, and if you really want to copy cat mine, go ahead, just shows me that `` I am KINDA A BIG DEAL`` LOL. just kidding. however mine cost nearly 10 grand to build, canadian so i guess about 8 american, I hate the stupid exchange rate thing, you ask me we are all american in a way, right North america.

joe231 10-05-2009 04:51 PM

holy hell! 8-10G's
you must have some serious power! :burnout:

highperf4x4 10-05-2009 05:10 PM

Haven't you seen his videos? :lol:

And he's got 24.5 mpg too! :metal:

I'm gonna pull the valve covers and take a look at things. This might be a weak lifter situation. The friggin engine runs so damn good and the oil pressure is so high I just can't believe it's a rod. Anyway, I'm gonna investigate more.

I still want to know exactly what you did to yours nuke. I can probably save a chunk of change since I do 80% of the work myself.

joe231 10-05-2009 06:31 PM

I haven't
point me in the right direction, please?

americanmusc1e 10-05-2009 06:53 PM

sorry to hear about the motor..................but if you have to rebuild it:

do this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-88890534/
swap out the cam for a bigger one and swap the heads for a set of AFRs
forged crank
forged rods
forged pistons....all included:metal:

nuke1 10-05-2009 07:03 PM

Well, my engine cost no labour but what it cost for the machine work on the block, never again, i will buy a motown block next time. Mine is .40 over, line bored, torque plate bored, 0 deck height, balanced and blueprinted. flat top pistons, comp xe274 cam, world products sportsman 2 heads, edelbrock rpm intake, mallory distributer, and a holley street avenger. Roller rockers, completely checked and gone through by my friend Cory, he builds drag car and drag bike engines. that is about it, a few more little things.

Check out the camaro build for that engine work by cory.

Joe 231, check out my build, second last page i think, the are there.

highperf4x4 10-05-2009 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 3553592)
I haven't
point me in the right direction, please?

It's in his havoc build thread in his siggy but with you viewing 40 posts per page it will probably be on the last page.

Quote:

Originally Posted by americanmusc1e (Post 3553628)
sorry to hear about the motor..................but if you have to rebuild it:

do this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-88890534/
swap out the cam for a bigger one and swap the heads for a set of AFRs
forged crank
forged rods
forged pistons....all included:metal:

That's a pretty good deal for 512lbs of torque but you know me brother. I likes to build em! :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuke1 (Post 3553638)
Well, my engine cost no labour but what it cost for the machine work on the block, never again, i will buy a motown block next time. Mine is .40 over, line bored, torque plate bored, 0 deck height, balanced and blueprinted. flat top pistons, comp xe274 cam, world products sportsman 2 heads, edelbrock rpm intake, mallory distributer, and a holley street avenger. Roller rockers, completely checked and gone through by my friend Cory, he builds drag car and drag bike engines. that is about it, a few more little things.

Check out the camaro build for that engine work by cory.

Joe 231, check out my build, second last page i think, the are there.

Well that's pretty much the same as the engine I built for the 4x4. It's a 350 bored .030 over, flat top pistons, align bored, decked, crank was straightened, turned, polished, chamfered, balanced/blueprinted, heads got 3 angle valve job, new valves, z-28 springs, shaved. Compression is about 10:1. Comp 12-242-2 camshaft, factory aluminum dual plane intake, flowtech headers, edelbrock 600cfm 4bbl. For a 5000lb truck it moves pretty flippin good but my mileage is not even close to the 20's ...... :lol:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...MC/truck11.jpg

As you can see from the mud baked onto the headers I haven't been easy on it either!! :metal:

bigbadchev72 10-05-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highperf4x4 (Post 3553706)
It's in his havoc build thread in his siggy but with you viewing 40 posts per page it will probably be on the last page.

That's a pretty good deal for 512lbs of torque but you know me brother. I likes to build em! :metal:

Well that's pretty much the same as the engine I built for the 4x4. It's a 350 bored .030 over, flat top pistons, align bored, decked, crank was straightened, turned, polished, chamfered, balanced/blueprinted, heads got 3 angle valve job, new valves, z-28 springs, shaved. Compression is about 10:1. Comp 12-242-2 camshaft, factory aluminum dual plane intake, flowtech headers, edelbrock 600cfm 4bbl. For a 5000lb truck it moves pretty flippin good but my mileage is not even close to the 20's ...... :lol:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...MC/truck11.jpg

As you can see from the mud baked onto the headers I haven't been easy on it either!! :metal:

I would HIGHLY suggest replacing that plastic fuel filter with a metal one or put it on the suction side of the fuel pump.

I was on my way to a wheeling trip weekend with mine installed that same way, Apparently mine was plugged up and I was srging like crazy trying to cruise down the hiway at 60mph, I pulled over and mine was swollen to about twice the size it is supposed to be. It would have been horrible if it would have exploded!

highperf4x4 10-05-2009 09:14 PM

Yeah I'm going to switch it back to a metal filter. It was there for observation while I was tuning the edelbrock. It can't get close enough to the headers to right now to get hot enough to expand and my fuel pump is stock mechanical so it's only about 6psi anyway. Still I don't care for the plastic filters anyway unless I'm needing to watch fuel flow.

Good advice.

bigbadchev72 10-05-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highperf4x4 (Post 3553886)
Yeah I'm going to switch it back to a metal filter. It was there for observation while I was tuning the edelbrock. It can't get close enough to the headers to right now to get hot enough to expand and my fuel pump is stock mechanical so it's only about 6psi anyway. Still I don't care for the plastic filters anyway unless I'm needing to watch fuel flow.

Good advice.

Just to clarify for others that may be running this setup I am running a stock fuel pump as well. Not a good idea to be running these filters on the pressure side of the pump.

highperf4x4 10-05-2009 09:35 PM

I agree. You also have to be careful to keep it away from a major heat source like an exhaust pipe even if it's before the pump. Yours had to have swollen because it got too hot. That is actually bad even for a metal filter. It will cause vapor lock if nothing else.

scotts62 10-05-2009 09:59 PM

Anything is better than those glass filter that are out there.. :puke:

That sucks about the engine man..
I took a day off today and went to the machine shop and bore the engine for the green 92 .040 over, now all i need is pistons and its all set ;)

highperf4x4 10-05-2009 11:29 PM

Good deal Scott. Post up pics!

I'm gonna have to start a new thread for my problem. It's turned into a puzzle.

scotts62 10-06-2009 07:33 AM

:lol:

TheSebring 10-10-2009 03:55 AM

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...T/100_1071.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...T/100_1069.jpg

My filter's about 8 inches from the carb. Does that meet the requirements for filter inflation :waah:?

highperf4x4 10-10-2009 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSebring (Post 3560993)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...T/100_1071.jpg

My filter's about 8 inches from the carb. Does that meet the requirements for filter inflation :waah:?

You can't run a metal filter that close to your alternator!!!! IT MIGHT PICK UP STATIC ELECTRICITY AND EXPLODE!!!!!!!!

:haha:

JohnC 10-10-2009 04:14 PM

That really messed with me for a second. Blake now has your avatar, and you have a different one. I had to go back and see who was who :lol:

highperf4x4 10-10-2009 04:47 PM

:lol: well that is actually a pic of him on the jetski.

My avatar is a pic of me next to one of my father's old trucks when I was about 7 yrs old. That's me on the left.

JohnC 10-10-2009 05:04 PM

Cool! :metal:

highperf4x4 10-10-2009 05:17 PM

Well I haven't gotten any further with the knocking sound coming from the fuel line at the tank. It did pretty much quit on the way back from OKC today though. I'm baffled.

We did hear something in the tank making a small clunking when we stopped though so I guess I'm diving into that tomorrow to have a look around.

JohnC 10-10-2009 05:25 PM

I'm not real familiar with those type of tanks. Maybe something has finally broken loose and is bouncing around near the pickup line.

TheSebring 10-11-2009 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnC (Post 3561581)
That really messed with me for a second. Blake now has your avatar, and you have a different one. I had to go back and see who was who :lol:

I saw that the prankster stole the picture of me launching the jet-ski out of the water and got it from him ;).

And yeah, when we braked on a downhill slope and the gas sloshed, we heard a tink... tink... tink... so we've got a new lead in the crime.