The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Whose on Steelies? Post 'em up! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=321961)

cris well 01-15-2012 10:40 AM

Re: Whose on Steelies? Post 'em up!

AustinScott--

I was wondering what those would look like on our trucks.

I thought about using those wheels and rigging up a set of the 88-98 chrome plastic caps on them.

I'd get the yellow off them--solid black or maybe charcoal.

jhwkns 01-15-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allchevy58 (Post 5123854)
My new wheels.

Nice! What are the tires?

allchevy58 01-15-2012 11:54 PM

Thanks. Wheels are 16X8 and tires are LT265/75R16. I bought 285's and they rubbed up front and I didn't want to lift the truck.

bondo510 02-05-2012 11:29 PM

webfoot , what hub caps fit those ?

RustyBillet 02-06-2012 12:20 AM

7's And I think they're 215 or 225 70's. 2.5/4 drop.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...7F9EA-orig.jpg

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...0E0CE-orig.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

mtm_seven 02-06-2012 12:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Caprice Steelies with newer centers and also orig hubcaps

295 rear, 245 front

I think they look OK but I'd rather them both be flush with the body rather than sucked in....

special-K 02-06-2012 07:49 AM

It seems people are trying to change the definition of "Steelie" to any wheel made of steel,now that alloys or styled steels have become the standard on newer vehicles. There was a time (like forever,since spoke wheels) when the standard wheel was a steel wheel that either came with a hub cap (what folks call "dog dish") or wheel covers,which some call "full wheel covers" when they are actually all "full" because they all "cover" the "wheel". These OEM-type wheels that came on everything is what car guys gave the name "Steelie" to. Then,in the '60s came "Road" wheels and "Rallye" wheels,both were a sport wheel that came on performance cars. Road wheels were given different names by car makers but were steel "mag style" wheels. We all know what Rallye wheels are. They are European inspired wheels with more or larger vent slots painted silver. Steelies were made in wider widths by wheel companies as well. Then came wagon wheels and other styled wheels and they all have their own names,too. The name steelie gives what was at one time just a wheel it's own name so were can say,"I have 8" steelies",rather than having to say 8" factory style,OEM-type,stock center,or hub cap style wheels.
I'm not trying to be a jerk,but names are a part of our language for specific identification to save us from having to use descriptions so everyone knows what we are talking about. So,let's keep it that way...aight?

shawno72 02-06-2012 09:49 AM

I hear what you are saying Tim but I think this younger generation is well from a different era. I agree with ya that "steelies" are stock steel wheels and everything is well, everything else. Why not post a couple of pics of what is considered steelies so that those who don't know will know. For those that are younger or who don't know if it's not the stock steel, basic low end no frills wheel then it's not a steelie. Rally wheels technically do not count, made of steel yes but not stock steelies. Make sense? Just trying to help further explain what Tim is trying to point out. Here is my truck on stock steelies with hub caps
http://i.imgur.com/X2quj.jpg
And here is my truck with rallies, not steelies
http://i.imgur.com/qMk99.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

Mayo 02-06-2012 05:17 PM

I agree with you guys. Although I am only 22, I expected to come into this thread and see steelies, not just wheels made of steel.

jhwkns 02-06-2012 08:03 PM

You're right Tim. I guess some people just don't know the difference.

Meanwhile, I'm rollin' on steelies.http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r...shadyspot7.jpg

Mr Pops 02-06-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayo (Post 5170597)
I agree with you guys. Although I am only 22, I expected to come into this thread and see steelies, not just wheels made of steel.

Good call!

1985-GMC 02-06-2012 11:05 PM

Im also only 21, but IMHO steelies is where its at. Rallies are cool too but you can't go wrong with stock steel wheels. Heck I think some of the wheels posted in this thread weren't even steel. :lol:

Hey how about some stock Dually wheels, are they allowed? :) I just got mine all painted up and got new rubbers put on them today.

special-K 02-07-2012 09:01 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Stock steel dual wheels have always been referred to as "Budd" wheels. They may be made by Kelsey Hayes or anyone else,but it's like calling all colas "Coke",if you know what I mean. Budd must have been the first or biggest company to make solid steel disc wheels for dual wheel trucks.

Hey,we're all here to have fun. I don't want to spoil the party or come across like Professor Trucksworth or anything. But,those of us who've been around a while learned what we know from those before us when we were fresh into things,and if the word doesn't get passed down then it gets lost. I don't care what wheels anyone shows as long as they know what it is. Many threads get started asking to see a particular thing and there ends up with "not exactly what you asked for,but..." It's all good.
Basically,the rules changed from tradition in '88 with trucks to where there is no standard for wheels. Everything is styled steel or styled alloy.
First to last...
*Traditional OEM type or "steelie",accepts hubcaps
*Rallye,accepts center cap
*88+ styled steel,accepts center cap. Crossover from steelie to rallye/styled steel.
*99+ styled steel,accepts center cap

yfs200p 02-07-2012 01:39 PM

My truck is on them... It doesnt exactly go down the road on them just yet, but it definitely sits on steelies LOL

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...4/d98965fe.jpg

Schwinn 02-07-2012 02:00 PM

1970 2WD Blazer lowered 2" & 4" spindle dropped with Disc Brakes added cuz of year it only came in drum. Tires are 275-60-15 Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTS
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/x...ERATHOME-1.jpg

waybad 02-07-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 5172135)
Stock steel dual wheels have always been referred to as "Budd" wheels. They may be made by Kelsey Hayes or anyone else,but it's like calling all colas "Coke",if you know what I mean. Budd must have been the first or biggest company to make solid steel disc wheels for dual wheel trucks.

Hey,we're all here to have fun. I don't want to spoil the party or come across like Professor Trucksworth or anything. But,those of us who've been around a while learned what we know from those before us when we were fresh into things,and if the word doesn't get passed down then it gets lost. I don't care what wheels anyone shows as long as they know what it is. Many threads get started asking to see a particular thing and there ends up with "not exactly what you asked for,but..." It's all good.
Basically,the rules changed from tradition in '88 with trucks to where there is no standard for wheels. Everything is styled steel or styled alloy.
First to last...
*Traditional OEM type or "steelie",accepts hubcaps
*Rallye,accepts center cap
*88+ styled steel,accepts center cap. Crossover from steelie to rallye/styled steel.
*99+ styled steel,accepts center cap

thank for the explanation, I needed that:metal:
Tinker

snacks 02-07-2012 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
217/70-15 225/75-15

Gokart Mozart 02-07-2012 08:24 PM

What about optional wheels? Aren't rallyes considered stock, especially 6 lug?

SCOTI 02-07-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gokart Mozart (Post 5173315)
What about optional wheels? Aren't rallyes considered stock, especially 6 lug?

Ralley's would not be considered 'steelies'; they would be ralleys.

special-K 02-08-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 5173372)
Ralley's would not be considered 'steelies'; they would be ralleys.

EDIT: I meant to quote Gokart's question about rallyes being stock and elaborate on Scoti's explanation (but,I ain't retyping all that!)

When we say "stock" center wheels we mean wheels that take hub caps that were not meant to be exposed completely. Prior to '67 they were just wheels. Then came rallye wheels on sport optioned cars. And,yes,the first car rallyes had hub caps but were a new concept and are referred to as center caps...just like all the ones that show lugs. Prior to '67 even Vettes had the same type of wheels as trucks,ChevyIIs,Corvairs,Chevelles,Impalas...Ford,Dodge,Rambler...they were just wheels. Once styled wheels came about folks started referring to traditional wheels,or stock as opposed to aftermarket mags,as steelies. They are the only wheel that had no name. There was a time when you had to buy mags and put them on if you wanted your vehicle to look hot. Mags were first used on competition cars only,then guys started putting them on their street vehicles. Before that,there were some aftermarket designs,like Baby Moons or a few types of wheel covers. The first form of personalizing the wheels on a vehicle was swapping a popular wheel cover from another vehicle,Like Lancer or Fiesta. On Ford hot rods a popular swap was '53 F100 hub caps.

Jimbabwe 02-08-2012 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Steelies.
A quick P-chop of what to expect once I get my front and rear Dropmember goodies installed.

Rochlow 02-08-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbabwe (Post 5174562)
Steelies.
A quick P-chop of what to expect once I get my front and rear Dropmember goodies installed.

I'm going for the same look.

Jimbabwe 02-08-2012 11:59 AM

Are you? I was going to use the 18/20" TT 2's from my previous truck, but I think I like the stock look with the steelies better. Plus I won't have to swap rear axles and shorten the rear to lay out. Do you know if the current 235/75/15's will be a problem keeping from laying frame? Maybe a 215 front and rear? The front might also not lay out with those tires being 29" tall, even without inner fenders. Probably a better question for the suspension forum. I've also gotta find disc friendly ones for the front.

Rochlow 02-08-2012 01:28 PM

Yea, I'm going to be using stock steel wheels with a dropmember front and a mild dropmember in the rear. I want the truck to have a bit of a rake. I will be using 15x8 stock steelies on the rear with hubcaps and trim rings and 15x7 steelies in the with the same caps and rings

With a drop member front and rear, I don't think you will have a problem laying frame with that tires set up.

VWNate1 02-18-2012 11:19 AM

Re: Steelies?

God thread ! .

My '69 C/10 is currently on FUGLY American Racing white steel wagon wheels , soon for the scrap heap , I just found a full set of 15" stockers and am looking for some dog dish hubbies , hopefully the plain jane steel ones..