The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project 69SWB (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=555682)

~Whitey~ 09-26-2013 04:40 PM

Re: Project 69SWB

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6287051)
Ah, bringing back memories of when I worked on my doors. All those hole are very time consuming and can warp your metal if you hurry them.
Very nice progress since I checked in last.
On those seams, I used Plio-Grip seam sealer. The no sag stuff if I remember right. LINK

Hey Mike did you smooth it out and finish it so it looks like no seams at all? That what I want to do, but maybe it's not something that's possible. :-/
Posted via Mobile Device

KSWes 09-26-2013 06:02 PM

I used seam sealer in my jams. Just the stuff from advanced auto parts in a caulking tube. Squirted it in there with a good caulking gun then smoothed it out with my finger wearing nitryl gloves, you have to dip your fingers in clean water as you're smoothing it out to help keep it from sticking to your glove. Using filler up there would be tough because getting it smoothed out it would all have to be hand sanded. And if those seams have any potential to flex a filler could crack I would think. I can take a picture tonight of mine and put it up to see if it's something you'd be happy with if you want me to. I'm going for a good looking solid driver on mine though, not sure if you'd be happy with what I did.

Good to see an update! Nice job getting busy on the doors. Looking good!

~Whitey~ 09-26-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSWes (Post 6287238)
I used seam sealer in my jams. Just the stuff from advanced auto parts in a caulking tube. Squirted it in there with a good caulking gun then smoothed it out with my finger wearing nitryl gloves, you have to dip your fingers in clean water as you're smoothing it out to help keep it from sticking to your glove. Using filler up there would be tough because getting it smoothed out it would all have to be hand sanded. And if those seams have any potential to flex a filler could crack I would think. I can take a picture tonight of mine and put it up to see if it's something you'd be happy with if you want me to. I'm going for a good looking solid driver on mine though, not sure if you'd be happy with what I did.

Good to see an update! Nice job getting busy on the doors. Looking good!

Man thanks Wes and yeah put up a pic. I'm going for a good looking daily driver too... Just picky... Too picky sometimes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Xeen 09-26-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Whitey~ (Post 6287032)
how would I smooth it out and finish it flat with the rest of the door jam? Want it so you can't tell there are seams there after I'm done. I've always been told putting filler on top of seam sealer is a bad idea. Have you done it with good results?

I'm pretty sure 3M seam sealer is sandable, but I could be wrong and I'm on my 4th beer and I'm too lazy to find out :lol:

Low Elco 09-27-2013 08:06 AM

I used the Lord seam sealer from the body shop supply. Can be used in a normal caulk gun and spreads like buttah. Lacquer thinner on a finger and swipe. Truck looks good!

mcbassin 09-27-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Whitey~ (Post 6287093)
Hey Mike did you smooth it out and finish it so it looks like no seams at all? That what I want to do, but maybe it's not something that's possible. :-/
Posted via Mobile Device

I did trowel it out as good as I could. I just used a small flat piece of flexible plastic. The stuff I used set up pretty fast though so you have to work quick.
I have seen something I wish I would have done since then, tape off the edges on both sides of the seams. Then you just peel the tape off both side before it completely sets up.
good luck

KSWes 09-27-2013 10:37 AM

Sounds like some good ideas from the other fella's since my post. The seam sealer I put in is sand-able but it's easier to get it smooth before it sets up for sure.

Not perfect but I think it looks ok.

~Whitey~ 09-27-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6287724)
I'm pretty sure 3M seam sealer is sandable, but I could be wrong and I'm on my 4th beer and I'm too lazy to find out :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6287985)
I used the Lord seam sealer from the body shop supply. Can be used in a normal caulk gun and spreads like buttah. Lacquer thinner on a finger and swipe. Truck looks good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6288001)
I did trowel it out as good as I could. I just used a small flat piece of flexible plastic. The stuff I used set up pretty fast though so you have to work quick.
I have seen something I wish I would have done since then, tape off the edges on both sides of the seams. Then you just peel the tape off both side before it completely sets up.
good luck

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSWes (Post 6288688)
Sounds like some good ideas from the other fella's since my post. The seam sealer I put in is sand-able but it's easier to get it smooth before it sets up for sure.

Not perfect but I think it looks ok.

That looks really good and better than I thought... Since I had my cab blasted I can't remember what it did look like when I was driving it. I don't think I'll worry about trying to make the seams disappear and leave them for what they are.

I appreciate all the input from you guys. Thanks!!

TchncnDen 09-27-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

That looks really good and better than I thought... Since I had my cab blasted I can't remember what it did look like when I was driving it. I don't think I'll worry about trying to make the seams disappear and leave them for what they are.
That is the route to take. Seam sealer remains flexible for a reason, if you used a filler without welding them up they would crack.

sduckworth13 12-09-2013 04:04 AM

Jimmy, how's the truck project coming along?

Low Elco 12-09-2013 11:11 AM

Yeah! Yeah! What's up heah? Hope you're well!

~Whitey~ 01-07-2014 12:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 6409004)
Jimmy, how's the truck project coming along?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6409224)
Yeah! Yeah! What's up heah? Hope you're well!

Thanks for checking in on me fellas.... I've been sidetracked with some mods to my Harley, but that's done now I'm back working on the truck. I've been putting a lot of time into my doors, wish I could have bought new skins, but no-can-do.

I've basically welded up all the holes from trim and mirrors mounted over the years, filled/layered in the welded area with All-Metal, then I really soaked the insides with Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator and I'm ready to put some primer on these dudes. I think I'll still use some seam sealer on the seams inside the doors.

First layer of All-Metal after welding up the holes
Attachment 1196964

mostly level, I'll finish it out with putty. The runs are from the Rust Encapsulator I spray on the insides. It'll sand off.
Attachment 1196958

Coated pretty nice, got a few small spots to hit again.
Attachment 1196963

Once I get the doors in primer I can mount them and really start knocking out the body work.

-

sduckworth13 01-07-2014 12:54 PM

Jimmy, I was starting to look for your truck on craigslist, thought you abandoned ship :). Glad everything's good and your still at it, doors look good.

~Whitey~ 01-07-2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 6457894)
Jimmy, I was starting to look for your truck on craigslist, thought you abandoned ship :). Glad everything's good and your still at it, doors look good.

Never! Not for sale!

Low Elco 01-07-2014 02:09 PM

Glad you're still on this. Gotta see the end!

Bennett68C10 01-07-2014 08:59 PM

Glad to see your back at it Jimmy, nice job on the doors

jmking9 01-09-2014 12:19 AM

I was starting to get worried about ya! Glad to see your still at it.

~Whitey~ 01-12-2014 07:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6458017)
Glad you're still on this. Gotta see the end!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 (Post 6458683)
Glad to see your back at it Jimmy, nice job on the doors

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmking9 (Post 6460789)
I was starting to get worried about ya! Glad to see your still at it.

Thanks guys.. I've been at it, just got sidetracked for a while on bike stuff.

I decided to take a little detour here from the sanding and the sanding and the sanding and the sanding.. You guys get the idea I'm sure.

I've had ordered my whole interior from a board vendor Truckseats a while back, real nice guy and has the got hookup with some really fantastic products. The quality of everything has been top notch.

So on with the pics.. the best part of any post. ;)

Old and new foam
Attachment 1199121

Laying it all out
Attachment 1199123

New cover and foam installed. My grandson loves to come in my Chevy room (spare bedroom used to store my junk) and get into my stuff!
Attachment 1199124

My dear sweet wife says I can work in the kitchen sometimes if it makes my life easier. I'm blessed.
Attachment 1199125

Closet in the Chevy room is a good place to hang small parts to dry when it's too cold for paint drying in the garage. The brackets I wire brushed, used Eastwoods Fast Etch, painted first with Eastwoods Rust encapusaltor, the top coated with Rustoleum High Performance Paint, says it dries in 15 minutes. Yeah right. No paint dries in 15 minutes. paaalease. But it is good stuff if you let it dry a couple days.
Attachment 1199126

~Whitey~ 01-12-2014 07:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's the seat all done, brackets installed.

Nacho thought he was in trouble when I put him up there on the seat. Only thing I didn't do and I would have if I were made out of money is to have the seat frame blasted and powder coated. But I'd say that's a little overkill for a driver.
Attachment 1199133

Here is a pic of the drivers side. It's all there except for the bigger spring, I have it somewhere just got to find it.
Attachment 1199134

This is the side I am not sure about. I think it should have a small spring and clip on the outside of that key that slides back and forth. Can one of you guys verify what the passenger side bracket is supposed to look like (both sides) where the rod attaches?
Attachment 1199135

sduckworth13 01-12-2014 07:55 PM

Seat looks great Jimmy

Bomp 01-12-2014 09:03 PM

Seat looks great.
Storage closet and (room In the House no less) for drying paint, you are one lucky guy.
Grandson, camo jammies and diggin in truck parts (truck guy in the making):metal:

Looks great.

~Whitey~ 01-12-2014 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 6467563)
Seat looks great Jimmy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6467686)
Seat looks great.
Storage closet and (room In the House no less) for drying paint, you are one lucky guy.
Grandson, camo jammies and diggin in truck parts (truck guy in the making):metal:

Looks great.

Thanks fellas, yeah I'll make a truck guy out of that little guy for sure.

Low Elco 01-13-2014 09:29 AM

I was gonna say, you need to get your wife one 'a them pope hats and sing a song, or somethin'. If I tried to bring curing enamel parts in the house, I'd get shot! Lucky man!

KSWes 01-14-2014 12:44 PM

That seat looks great! Nice progress, sometimes you gotta take a break from one thing and work on another to keep your motivation going. Glad to see the updates!

~Whitey~ 01-14-2014 02:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6468372)
I was gonna say, you need to get your wife one 'a them pope hats and sing a song, or somethin'. If I tried to bring curing enamel parts in the house, I'd get shot! Lucky man!

HA! She's good to me, I can't complain... I am a lucky man indeed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSWes (Post 6470516)
That seat looks great! Nice progress, sometimes you gotta take a break from one thing and work on another to keep your motivation going. Glad to see the updates!

Thanks Wes! I'm glad to be back on the truck. I want to be driving this thing by summertime.

Next item up for some loving is a fine fine specimen... A 1968 C10 Steering Wheel in all it's glory. Picked this up on Craiglist for $60 Column, Horn Cap (great shape), and all. I never really cared for the look of the 69 Wheels. I won't be using the column as I have a tilt column that was in my truck already.

Attachment 1199940

This is what I'll be using to fill in the cracks after I open them up a bit with a v-cut. I've heard that just using bondo/filler doesn't last but a couple years before it's cracking again, but this stuff or similar products last forever pretty much.
Attachment 1199941