The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960-1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Power Brake Booster Adapter Bracket (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=339081)

60apache 04-16-2018 10:38 PM

Re: Power Brake Booster Adapter Bracket

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caudillo64 (Post 5664965)
I just insalled mine easy bolt up no problems also looks good. Thanks.

what booster did you use?

Captainfab 04-16-2018 11:29 PM

You might have to send him a PM to get an answer to that question.

aerotruk63 04-22-2018 05:21 AM

I need a vacuum boost bracket for a 64 and a hydroboost for a 63.

Captainfab 04-22-2018 11:12 PM

I will send you a PM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerotruk63 (Post 8244340)
I need a vacuum boost bracket for a 64 and a hydroboost for a 63.

pdxhall 04-23-2018 02:33 AM

Hi John, I'd like to get one of your powder coated booster brackets for my '66, please.

402GMC 04-23-2018 03:38 PM

I would like one of the booster brackets for my 66

Captainfab 04-23-2018 11:33 PM

I will send you both PM's with ordering info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 8245074)
Hi John, I'd like to get one of your powder coated booster brackets for my '66, please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 402GMC (Post 8245522)
I would like one of the booster brackets for my 66

JasontheBeaver 04-29-2018 07:32 PM

Hey Captainfab, I'm looking to change my factory '66 brake master cylinder to a vacuum boosted unit. (still have drum/drum)
Will I need one of your brackets if I purchase one of these LMC kits?

Thanks for any guidance!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fusedfanl2...55704.jpg?dl=0

JasontheBeaver 04-29-2018 07:34 PM

JasontheBeaver 04-29-2018 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, here's a pic, finally figured it out.

Captainfab 04-29-2018 11:36 PM

If you want the booster and master assembly to be installed correctly as the GM engineers designed, then yes you will need one of my booster brackets. With a drum/drum braking system all you need is a '67-'70 booster and master cylinder assembly and one of my booster brackets to correctly and securely mount it to your firewall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasontheBeaver (Post 8250666)
Hey Captainfab, I'm looking to change my factory '66 brake master cylinder to a vacuum boosted unit. (still have drum/drum)
Will I need one of your brackets if I purchase one of these LMC kits?

Thanks for any guidance!

JasontheBeaver 04-30-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 8250842)
If you want the booster and master assembly to be installed correctly as the GM engineers designed, then yes you will need one of my booster brackets. With a drum/drum braking system all you need is a '67-'70 booster and master cylinder assembly and one of my booster brackets to correctly and securely mount it to your firewall.

So I would need a master cylinder and booster from this page correct?
If I buy that setup then I would also need to find a proportioning/combination valve to route the two lines coming out of the new cylinder, correct?
The previous kit I linked included a combination valve, this one does not.
I've tried researching this prior to asking potentially dumb and/or repeated questions but there are myriad paths.
I just want as close to bolt-on as possible. I understand there will be rerouting of the lines, but I do not have the ability to do any welding or fabrication.
I appreciate your help man!

Captainfab 04-30-2018 11:27 PM

The booster and master cylinder can be purchased at your local auto parts store. However if you do not have the means (or know someone that does) to lengthen the booster pushrod, you will have to purchase one of the aftermarket universal boosters. With a drum/drum brake system, you do not want nor need a combination valve. All of the power brake conversion kits I have seen from the big name parts suppliers are for either disc/drum or disc/disc braking systems. And what they are selling is a universal booster with universal booster brackets that require you to drill holes to bolt it up. And then it is not really securely attached to the pedal bracket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasontheBeaver (Post 8251115)
So I would need a master cylinder and booster from this page correct?
If I buy that setup then I would also need to find a proportioning/combination valve to route the two lines coming out of the new cylinder, correct?
The previous kit I linked included a combination valve, this one does not.
I've tried researching this prior to asking potentially dumb and/or repeated questions but there are myriad paths.
I just want as close to bolt-on as possible. I understand there will be rerouting of the lines, but I do not have the ability to do any welding or fabrication.
I appreciate your help man!

JasontheBeaver 05-01-2018 08:55 AM

Ok so in summary...
I go to the Napa store across the street and order a master cylinder and booster for a '67 c10 pickup, and I also order one of your brackets.
I'll also need to order a universal push rod because my existing rod is too short (lol).
Does the new cylinder have one outlet port like mine? If so then it's just a matter of running a new line from the port to my tee.
If the cylinder has 2 outlet ports then I'm assuming I remove the tee and run 2 new lines to connect to my existing ones.
Am I on the right track here?

Captainfab 05-02-2018 12:14 AM

Yes you can simply buy the booster and master locally. You can buy a universal brake booster pushrod, but you do not have to. If you know someone that can weld or thread, the booster pushrod and your original pushrod can be cut to length and joined together by either welding or threading and using a coupling nut.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=564518

It really is a good idea to split your brake lines and convert to a dual reservoir master cylinder. That is a much safer design. There are a thread or two here all about how to do that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasontheBeaver (Post 8251835)
Ok so in summary...
I go to the Napa store across the street and order a master cylinder and booster for a '67 c10 pickup, and I also order one of your brackets.
I'll also need to order a universal push rod because my existing rod is too short (lol).
Does the new cylinder have one outlet port like mine? If so then it's just a matter of running a new line from the port to my tee.
If the cylinder has 2 outlet ports then I'm assuming I remove the tee and run 2 new lines to connect to my existing ones.
Am I on the right track here?

JasontheBeaver 05-02-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 8252515)
It really is a good idea to split your brake lines and convert to a dual reservoir master cylinder. That is a much safer design. There are a thread or two here all about how to do that.

So you know my next question... is the new '67 master cylinder that I'm going to buy a dual reservoir model? If not, then it sounds like I need to do further research to find one that will fit this setup.

Captainfab 05-02-2018 11:01 PM

The '67-'70 master cylinders are of a dual reservoir design.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasontheBeaver (Post 8253131)
So you know my next question... is the new '67 master cylinder that I'm going to buy a dual reservoir model? If not, then it sounds like I need to do further research to find one that will fit this setup.

Kustom64 05-14-2018 08:57 PM

I’d like to order one of these brackets! Could you PM ordering info to me? Thanks!

Captainfab 05-14-2018 11:32 PM

I will send you a PM.

Budman56 07-27-2018 10:52 PM

Payment sent for brake booster black powder coat.

Captainfab 07-27-2018 10:54 PM

Payment received. I will have to check tomorrow and see if I have one in stock. I think I do. If I don't have one I will let you know. Thanks for the repeat business :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budman56 (Post 8310363)
Payment sent for brake booster black powder coat.

pdxhall 07-28-2018 09:06 PM

Hey Capt. I will be back home in about 2 weeks and I'm going to be ordering a powder coated bracket. Just some advanced notice.

Captainfab 07-28-2018 11:29 PM

I'll get a couple powder coated and set one aside for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 8310936)
Hey Capt. I will be back home in about 2 weeks and I'm going to be ordering a powder coated bracket. Just some advanced notice.

First c10 07-30-2018 12:25 PM

Hey John,
I have a few questions.
First, What is the reason GM used the longer bracket with the pivot or linkage?
Second, To use your bracket I will need to remove the bolts that go through the brake pedal assembly that go through the fire wall?
Third, How does the direct push rod to the brake pedal affect the braking or the feel when braking?

Thanks Scott

pdxhall 07-30-2018 04:11 PM

thanks, I'll be in touch
Brett