The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   60-66 Suburbans (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Our "What are we going to do?" 66 Suburban Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=507111)

RockTonka 03-18-2013 12:38 AM

Re: Our "What are we going to do?" 66 Suburban Build

2 Attachment(s)
Got it on the road! Haven't started on the tubs yet, but finished up the brakes and put about 100 miles on it running around. Drives great, stops straight (and quick), speedo is off...my daughter was pacing me as I merged onto the freeway, thought I was going 70-75...she said I hit 90+. :lol: The taller tires and 3.54 gears has me at 2800 rpm or so at around 70 mph...I can live with that!

jbclassix 03-18-2013 12:47 AM

Man that looks good!

C@rnut001 03-18-2013 12:56 AM

I love what you are doing with this...Keep up the great work and thanks for updating it. Makes me want one too....LOL...

likaroc13 03-18-2013 01:03 AM

looks mean! :devil:

RockTonka 03-18-2013 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbclassix (Post 5954093)
Man that looks good!

Thanks Jeremy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by C@rnut001 (Post 5954108)
I love what you are doing with this...Keep up the great work and thanks for updating it. Makes me want one too....LOL...

Cool, we appreciate the props!

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5954121)
looks mean! :devil:

Yea, something about some meats out back just seems to change its whole personality. :lol:

mud.man.rj 03-18-2013 06:53 PM

The big tires makes it look like don't mess with me or else.

piratexpress1369a 03-19-2013 12:09 AM

dam that is fast ..don't get caught..lol

RockTonka 03-31-2013 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mud.man.rj (Post 5955548)
The big tires makes it look like don't mess with me or else.

More bark than bite :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 5956372)
dam that is fast ..don't get caught..lol

Shouldn't be a prob...I don't make it a habit to speed around...anymore, at least. ;)

Can't really tell in the pics, but we made some 1 1/2" lowering blocks and brought the rear down a bit...it had quite the stink bug thing going on! Seems alot more obvious driving it and seeing it in person...we like it alot better.

Also dropped a 2 lb residual in the rear brake circuit...CPP says there's no need, but it tightened up the pedal and reduced some pad chatter we had going on.

C@rnut001 03-31-2013 07:44 PM

Man, your suburban is looking so good! Congrats on how far you have taken it! I am having to admit, I wish I had one just like it....it is great to read about your updates and building of it. Thanks for sharing all of your build with us.

hemifalcon 03-31-2013 10:20 PM

Glad you got the butt outta the air... I think it'll look way badddd if you get it to "pro-street" attitude...
Posted via Mobile Device

RockTonka 06-19-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C@rnut001 (Post 5983244)
Man, your suburban is looking so good! Congrats on how far you have taken it! I am having to admit, I wish I had one just like it....it is great to read about your updates and building of it. Thanks for sharing all of your build with us.

Thank you and thanks for tuning in!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemifalcon (Post 5983666)
Glad you got the butt outta the air... I think it'll look way badddd if you get it to "pro-street" attitude...
Posted via Mobile Device

Butt is still in the air a bit...gonna have to stay that way though. It's a good working height for hauling people, stuff, trailers, and what not.

RockTonka 06-19-2013 11:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My son decided we needed a bit more oomph for the burb and brought in a NOS Supershot kit for Father's Day. :metal:

Well, he SAID it was for Father's Day...but I think he was just using that as an handy excuse to have something to play with!! Works for me! :lol:

Got the bottle mounted and plate plumbed in, but still need to wire it up and run the the N2O line...my boy will work on that this weekend. Will fill the bottle next week and start playing around with it...start off with a 100 shot and see if we need to push the 150-175 its capable of.

RockTonka 06-19-2013 11:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Still haven't finished tubbing the rear, well...haven't really even started that yet. And, yes, running in the rain sucks! We're running the hell out of it...hundreds of miles all around here, only been caught in a downpour once...seriously, there was more water coming down inside the burb than out!! Wife was with me too :lol:, she was a trooper though and had a blast. She did say that I really need to get the tubs done though...:lol::lol:

Couple posing pics around the house...

mud.man.rj 06-19-2013 11:37 PM

Those rear tires must move a lot of water in the rain.

RockTonka 07-13-2013 03:25 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The boy and I goofed around a bit tonight and finally got the fenders pulled back together and tacked in...

Dewey Clines 07-14-2013 02:38 PM

Really nice! The rear end is just killer. This is what I would like to have mine turn out like. Did I read correctly that you narrowed the rear end to 54" and had your rims widened to 12" then used 15" Hoosier tires on the 12" rims? I have the new American Racing rally wheels that are 20x12 that I was going to use under mine with 18x10" up front. What size did us use for your front. I haven't decided on tires yet so having done yours with 15" do you think this would work with the 20X12"?
Dewey

RockTonka 07-16-2013 01:55 AM

Thanks Dewey!

Yep, rear end narrowed to 54" WMS to WMS with 15X8 ralleys widened to 12", 4" on the outside of the wheel center to keep the back spacing at the stock 3 5/8" BS. I'm using 15x8 ralleys up front with 275/60R-15s.
I don't know what the back spacing on your wheels might be, but our approach was to build around the BS of the wheels and just make it work ;)

Psycho75 07-16-2013 03:30 AM

Man I first off let me say this is an awesome build. Great fab skills, great attitude on this rig man. You really have something special there. Love all the dimple died holes. Very cool. Subscribed. :ito:

Dewey Clines 07-16-2013 01:14 PM

Just a couple more questions. Please clarify WHS for me. Not a term I'm familiar with! You say that you kept the stock BS on the wheel at 3 5/8". With the stock tubs being around 13" it sure looks like it's more than that in the photos. Was that because you shortened the axle? My stock axles (I have a 373 and a 411 that I want to get rid of - anybody?) that are both 58" from bolt brackets side to side. I have my wheels ordered with 5" back spacing and my rear end at 54". What do you think? Will this combo fit with opening up the tubs or should I call and have the back spacing set at 4".
Thanks for you input.
Dewey
Posted via Mobile Device

Dewey Clines 07-16-2013 01:55 PM

Sorry meant "WMS" also forgot to ask who built the gas tank for you? I have the Poterbuilt Deluxe "C" notch mild drop kit with inside air bags that I hope fits as well as your set up. Time will tell or the cutting torch will fix it!
Dewey
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefRocka 07-16-2013 03:30 PM

Patiently waiting on Burnout videos ....

Or will you be on that show ??

:metal:

RockTonka 07-16-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho75 (Post 6175178)
Man I first off let me say this is an awesome build. Great fab skills, great attitude on this rig man. You really have something special there. Love all the dimple died holes. Very cool. Subscribed. :ito:

Thanks Psycho! We're just having fun with it and enjoying the journey as much as possible :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey Clines (Post 6175684)
Just a couple more questions. Please clarify WHS for me. Not a term I'm familiar with! You say that you kept the stock BS on the wheel at 3 5/8". With the stock tubs being around 13" it sure looks like it's more than that in the photos. Was that because you shortened the axle? My stock axles (I have a 373 and a 411 that I want to get rid of - anybody?) that are both 58" from bolt brackets side to side. I have my wheels ordered with 5" back spacing and my rear end at 54". What do you think? Will this combo fit with opening up the tubs or should I call and have the back spacing set at 4".
Thanks for you input.
Dewey
Posted via Mobile Device

Wheel Mount Surface = WMS, and yes, shortened the housing/axles. Based on what worked with my set-up, 4" BS would seem appropriate w/mini-tubbing...but you may be measuring rear end width differently than I. I have just enough room between tires/springs/frame/brakes/arms, and body for my specific set-up...I don't think much more could be squeezed in there. Your set-up will be different...hopefully you can glean a bit of info here to make your decisions easier :uhmk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRocka (Post 6175861)
Patiently waiting on Burnout videos ....

Or will you be on that show ??

:metal:

Ha! I'll work on that...haven't finished hooking up the NOS yet :waah:

And, no, I will not be on that show! Ain't my style...at all!! :lol:

Also...Patiently waiting on Progress on your burb :lol::lol:

Dinos63 07-20-2013 12:26 PM

so ooo cool

RockTonka 07-21-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey Clines (Post 6175756)
Sorry meant "WMS" also forgot to ask who built the gas tank for you? I have the Poterbuilt Deluxe "C" notch mild drop kit with inside air bags that I hope fits as well as your set up. Time will tell or the cutting torch will fix it!
Dewey
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry Dewey, I missed your question on the gas tank. It was built by Boyd's Welding, I bought it second hand from a member here. Very nicely built tanks...check out the link below VVVV

http://www.fueltankparts.com/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinos63 (Post 6181850)
so ooo cool

Hey Dino, Thanks!

RockTonka 08-01-2013 11:13 PM

tack, tack, tack, tack, tack, tack...grind, grind, grind, grind, grind...little bit of primer and a piece of indoor/outdoor and we're good to go for a bit! :metal:

Still haven't wired in the NOS switches :waah: Don't know why not...it'll take all of 1/2 hr...gonna try to get that done this weekend.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7328/9...d3c4c487_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7412/9...b8abf810_c.jpg