The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Raymond (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612847)

Elliot949 10-21-2015 12:16 AM

Re: Raymond

I made a trip over to Patterson Racing today... I gotta tell you guys.. This shop is so Clean from the front door to the very back that you could eat of the Floor... This is just a sample of the Shop... Where they actually work on the engines looks just like this...

http://images54.fotki.com/v461/photo...Racing1-vi.jpg

Here is my Engine Block... all of the machine work is completed They were able to Deck the Block without even damaging the Blok numbers... Allan new it was important to me so he made sure it happened... When the Heads get completed then I will bring it home and get it painted then take it back to get the assembly completed... Patterson is grinding me a one off cam to the specifications that we think will be perfect for what I want this to do... Allan is guessing about 450 HP... and with a 700R4 behind it with my 308 Posi differential it should pull between 17-20mpg Like I really care... This truck won't see the gas pumps that often in the first year or so...

http://images57.fotki.com/v81/photos...182015A-vi.jpg

Enjoy...

GAc10boy 10-21-2015 09:57 AM

Wheweeee! That's clean.

Elliot949 11-18-2015 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here we go... I picked up the block and heads from Patterson Racing on Monday and brought them home to paint them... I got them all completed and returned them to Patterson yesterday... I am loving the color on this... I got a call from Patterson this afternoon and was told that all of the Rotating parts showed up today so the start on mic'ing, gapping, fitting everything the block should be completed by tomorrow or Friday... The roller rockers, pushrods and all the items to complete the heads should be showing up anytime along with the new MSD HEI distributor, Cloys double roller timing chain and starter... They are going to go through the 3 deuces to make sure we don't have any issues when we fire it... I am hoping to have the engine completed...

I can't wait to film it on the Dyno...

GAc10boy 11-19-2015 12:08 AM

Exciting progress!

swamp rat 11-19-2015 12:14 AM

Your truck is turning out super nice!

Elliot949 11-19-2015 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAc10boy (Post 7381203)
Exciting progress!

Yep Robbie we are making movement forward... I still have some big items to buy for it like the Transmission, Air conditioning, Radiator, Drive shaft and then the biggie the interior... once I can come up with the money for those it should be able to be finished... I am hoping for Early 2016...

Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 7381210)
Your truck is turning out super nice!

I appreciate that Buddy... it has been a long haul getting to this point but hopefully we are on the down hill slope..

Vic1947 11-19-2015 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot949 (Post 7381013)
Here we go... I picked up the block and heads from Patterson Racing on Monday and brought them home to paint them... I got them all completed and returned them to Patterson yesterday... I am loving the color on this... I got a call from Patterson this afternoon and was told that all of the Rotating parts showed up today so the start on mic'ing, gapping, fitting everything the block should be completed by tomorrow or Friday... The roller rockers, pushrods and all the items to complete the heads should be showing up anytime along with the new MSD HEI distributor, Cloys double roller timing chain and starter... They are going to go through the 3 deuces to make sure we don't have any issues when we fire it... I am hoping to have the engine completed...

I can't wait to film it on the Dyno...

Sweet looking bullet, Dan. Bet that engine color set Patterson's hair on fire, though. His cars were fast as all get out but drenched in beige inside and out as I recall. ;)
Looking forward to the dyno numbers!

Elliot949 11-19-2015 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 7381843)
Sweet looking bullet, Dan. Bet that engine color set Patterson's hair on fire, though. His cars were fast as all get out but drenched in beige inside and out as I recall. ;)
Looking forward to the dyno numbers!

LOL... Thanks Vic... Great to see you post... I haven't seen you lurking for a long time...

Actually you are correct for Years Patterson ran Boring Beige cars when it was just him and Chevrolet so he was allowed to run what he wanted... When Chevy Pulled Sponsorship from the "lower" class cars he was forced to start running the colors of his sponsors... He quickly went away from Chevrolet for a short period and Ran Dodges and was pretty instrumental in developing the "Pro Stock" truck series... He really hated working with Dodge for various reasons and went back to Chevrolet mostly out of pocket then Chevy came back on as a sponsor and he just moved to running White cars... Patterson's biggest problem racing was never making HP... It has been Todd's capability of driving that is the issue... He hired some big guns during the late 80's and 90's and that just didn't work well for him...

I don't look to make big HP... Allan said 450 but I really don't think so plus I told him I wanted a REAL RELIABLE engine so huge HP was not a big item on my list but I would like to be able to light them up easily if I decide too...

So are you ready to get started again on CRLS?...

flashed 11-19-2015 08:38 PM

Boy that engine looks FINE .

Elliot949 11-19-2015 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7382047)
Boy that engine looks FINE .

Thanks man...

Vic1947 11-20-2015 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot949 (Post 7382029)
LOL... Thanks Vic... Great to see you post... I haven't seen you lurking for a long time...

So are you ready to get started again on CRLS?...

Kathy and I were discussing that very thing on the way home from Houston last week, Dan. I've been focused on Maybelline so much that a layer of dust has settled on CRLS. My two immediate problems are no space and no dough. The most practical solution is to find Maybelline a new home, which would kill two birds with one stone as they say. That isn't playing too well around here, however. Or we could put the new Challenger in storage and resume work on the truck a little at a time as funding permits. Either way, it will probably be the first of the year before I make any moves. Most of my subscribed threads have been quiet recently so it's good to see you making some progress.

Elliot949 11-20-2015 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 7382579)
Kathy and I were discussing that very thing on the way home from Houston last week, Dan. I've been focused on Maybelline so much that a layer of dust has settled on CRLS. My two immediate problems are no space and no dough. The most practical solution is to find Maybelline a new home, which would kill two birds with one stone as they say. That isn't playing too well around here, however. Or we could put the new Challenger in storage and resume work on the truck a little at a time as funding permits. Either way, it will probably be the first of the year before I make any moves. Most of my subscribed threads have been quiet recently so it's good to see you making some progress.

Man Vic... Do I understand that FUNDS issue... I am about out of those myself... I am hoping to have enough to finish the engine, get the transmission, Vintage air, and the Radiator... If my funds will hold out that long then I can get Raymond completed up to the interior and Drive shaft... at that point it would be done but the interior and drive shaft will probably have to wait a year due to the fact Jan and I are planning on building a house in 2016 and we are doing that out of pocket so there will be absolutely NO pickup funds in 2016... I am looking for sponsors for the interior though... Hopefully someone want in on this truck...

Elliot949 11-21-2015 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok... it is like I am starting the 12 days of Christmas... LOL... Got the wiring kit for Raymond yesterday... man this kit is SCHWEET!!!!...

I went with the Highway 22 kit instead of the Factory style due to pretty much nothing on this truck is Original... This allows mounting the fuse box anywhere I want it so smoothing the firewall is not a problem...

blake's first 11-21-2015 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your engine is looking good .. Mine is almost done tooAttachment 1469467

Elliot949 11-21-2015 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blake's first (Post 7383989)
Your engine is looking good .. Mine is almost done tooAttachment 1469467

Sweet

Elliot949 11-23-2015 09:50 PM

Went by Patterson's today to take the polished aluminum parts back to them after sealing them over the weekend... I was told that all the parts are there with the exception of a couple of small parts, the custom grind camshaft, push rods and the distributor...

They are starting the bottom end tomorrow and will finish up sometime late next week with the top end... so probably the week of December 7th we will be firing it and running the dyno on it... I am hoping to be able to film it on the Dyno...

Vic1947 11-23-2015 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot949 (Post 7386651)
... so probably the week of December 7th we will be firing it and running the dyno on it... I am hoping to be able to film it on the Dyno...

Here's a little something to compare it to... ;)

305 SBC, solid lifters, steel production heads, 450HP

Elliot949 11-24-2015 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 7386805)

Sweet... We will see... My main thing is for it to be a good drivable small block with some decent fuel economy... I also want a little thump to it and still make enough vacume to run the accessories...

Pick 11-24-2015 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 7386805)

I see injector stacks....and it looks like it could be a magneto hiding behind them?.....would that be a 305 sprint car engine?

Elliot949 11-24-2015 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pick (Post 7387092)
I see injector stacks....and it looks like it could be a magneto hiding behind them?.....would that be a 305 sprint car engine?

That is what it looks like .. but still.. 450 ho... is impressive

Pick 11-24-2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot949 (Post 7387094)
That is what it looks like .. but still.. 450 ho... is impressive

Oh, no doubt! I was just trying to make sure if I was seeing what I thought I was seeing. :lol:

Vic1947 11-24-2015 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot949 (Post 7387051)
Sweet... We will see... My main thing is for it to be a good drivable small block with some decent fuel economy... I also want a little thump to it and still make enough vacume to run the accessories...

All excellent goals, Dan, particularly the vacuum. Nothing's worse than having to compensate for picking the wrong cam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pick (Post 7387092)

Indeed it is! Machine work by G&G Performance Engine in Tomball, TX, assembled by me in Sedalia, MO and dyno'd at Ostrich Racing Engines in Des Moines, IA.

Elliot949 11-24-2015 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 7387176)
All excellent goals, Dan, particularly the vacuum. Nothing's worse than having to compensate for picking the wrong cam.

Yep... Allan is Grinding the cam himself for this engine... I am lucky the he is doing most of this engine himself... I have heard rumors that Patterson Racing is merging with someone else so this could be the last street engine that "Patterson" builds...

Indeed it is! Machine work by G&G Performance Engine in Tomball, TX, assembled by me in Sedalia, MO and dyno'd at Ostrich Racing Engines in Des Moines, IA.

I can tell you Vic... Had Patterson not accepted to do this Engine you and I would have been talking... I appreciate your friendship...

Pick 11-24-2015 01:09 PM

Quote:

Very cool!

Elliot949 12-09-2015 07:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
THIS WAS A EXCITING DAY!!!!... Patterson Racing completed the engine today for Raymond... It made a impressive 403HP and 456 Foot Lbs Torque... I AM STOKED!!!!... I will bring it home tomorrow...

I also to the truck back over to Carlson's Hot Rods to get the firewall welded and finished off and a couple of small issues taken care of... when it comes back in a couple weeks I will do the final block on it and get it painted... once that is done we will slip this little "JEWELL" in it and start wiring it...