The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

BugzC10 03-15-2019 03:28 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67/70C10SHORTY (Post 8487677)
I almost got motivated to work on my truck today

Sometimes you just need some R&R...:metal:

70STOVEBOLT 03-15-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

That’s my kind of motivation!

zicc1835 03-15-2019 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 8485420)
I loaded the ramp truck yesterday for the 5hr trip to the beach for the big one in SC.
First show of the season for me.
:chevy:

neat Andy....love the cart

Steeveedee 03-15-2019 06:49 PM

Quote:

Heh, I open one of those and the blood in my butt turns to lead and I have to sit down. No more work after that!

Ben IV 03-16-2019 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8487360)
If you don't have one yet, get one of the books on rebuilding Q-Jets. The sheet that comes with the carb leaves a lot of necessary information uncovered.

I watched a couple pretty good YouTube videos. Bolting it on today after work to see if I can get the truck to run for the first time in over 5 years.

Boog 03-16-2019 06:53 AM

It is a good idea to run fresh gas to it from a gas can and not use the old gas in the truck tank if there is any in it.

weq92f 03-16-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machas74 (Post 8486996)
I added 383 emblem on hood.

Been looking for someone doing something like this! Thanks! Looks good.

-klb

allchevy58 03-16-2019 11:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pulled it out today to wash it. First day warm enough since the first of the year.

'70_402 03-16-2019 11:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Fired up the motor in the truck for the first time... got some sheet metal put back on... looks like a truck again..

SoCoC10 03-17-2019 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Final door adjustments, front fenders, hinges and hood went on. Found you've got to put a curve in to the upper fender trim or the clips will start to pull away. The trim fits nice and tight now. Can't find a competent glass guy so the cowl, antenna, wipers and arms will go on Monday. Then it's on to the interior. Can't wait to put the Truck World Saddle interior in it.

66clow 03-17-2019 03:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Dimple day.

fishyalien 03-17-2019 03:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made wooden bedside rails out of scrap 🙂

HO455 03-17-2019 04:48 PM

Skipped lunch at work and took a nap in the back of the Burban. :mm:

vitamin_c95 03-17-2019 06:35 PM

The 71 has been mine for 3 weeks, and it has not ran since aug or sept last year. So I went got it started finally and heard it run for the first time in my owner ship.

Ben IV 03-17-2019 09:35 PM

Put on the Q-jet I rebuilt. Swapped the points distributor for an hei, with new plugs and wires. Changed the oil added some atf and took it for it's first drive in over 5 years according to the po.

OregonNed 03-17-2019 09:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally some nice weather so I dusted her off and took a drive both yesterday and today

89AKurt 03-18-2019 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OregonNed (Post 8489348)
Finally some nice weather so I dusted her off and took a drive both yesterday and today

Dang, that's really nice! I'm looking at the mirrors, undecided about round or square, but in no hurry to splurge on brand new ones.

I did several things today and yesterday, had a short that drained the battery, think I found the wiper switch was the culprit (fingers crossed). Someone has to represent the Dorky Cheapskate membership, my fix today was to get the super fragile dome light back into place. I used this really sophisticated construction adhesive called Liquid Nails, squirted into the broken snap-in side. Tube was still good from house remodeling this summer, so it was free. Looked in the Owners Manual to see how to turn it on, NOTHING. :confused:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7868/...3fe35553_c.jpg

Ol Blue K20 03-18-2019 09:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Blue got new shoes on Friday

rcazwillis 03-18-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89AKurt (Post 8489435)
Dang, that's really nice! I'm looking at the mirrors, undecided about round or square, but in no hurry to splurge on brand new ones.

I did several things today and yesterday, had a short that drained the battery, think I found the wiper switch was the culprit (fingers crossed). Someone has to represent the Dorky Cheapskate membership, my fix today was to get the super fragile dome light back into place. I used this really sophisticated construction adhesive called Liquid Nails, squirted into the broken snap-in side. Tube was still good from house remodeling this summer, so it was free. Looked in the Owners Manual to see how to turn it on, NOTHING. :confused:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7868/...3fe35553_c.jpg

Interior light is turned on by rotating headlight knob. You should feel it click into on position

RodnRudy 03-19-2019 05:44 PM

Waiting to get the engine block back from the machine shop, getting a .030 bore and some higher compression pistons. So I've been cleaning parts, bolts, intake and head surfaces, boring stuff but it's got to be done. Oh and I moved the snow thrower and shovel to the storage shed, after all tomorrow is The first day of Spring!

SoCoC10 03-19-2019 08:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Windshield, trim and gasket finally got installed. Cowl and antenna went on next. I assembled the inner grill to outer grill after painting the grill supports. Installed front bumper, sidemarkers and emblems.

Chris_oz 03-19-2019 08:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Now that the “Chevy Shed”, as it has become known, is finished, I got some time to work on the Chevy.

Oil and filter change, check / set timing, check operation of vacuum advance, check operation of mechanical advance.
Set idle mixture and give it a general once over.

It has a Pertronix Ignitor fitted.
I find it unusual that the hall affect trigger mounts to the rotor button, so it advances with the rotor button as mechanical advance comes in. I would have thought it would in effect double the advance, but it doesn’t seem to.

I found the earth strap from ignition base to distributor body was loose, wire was still making contact, but just flopping about, it was mounted to the vacuum advance mount screw, so it too was just floating.

The mechanical advance weight springs are very worn and loose, I can remove the springs by hand with ease, I ran a look-out check, the worn springs and pivots are giving me +8 degree of mechanical advance even at idle (650 rpm)
I added some stiff o-rings to the shafts along with the spring and even removed one of the weights, it slowed the advance rate but was still adding 6 degree mechanical advance at idle.

With timing set at 12 BTDC at 650 rpm (4 degree base and 8 degree from work mech advance) with vacuum off and plugged, all in by 2100-2200 rpm and only 28 degree advance.

It has a new B1 (Echlin VC-680) vacuum canister fitted, it is functioning as it should, started to add advance at 8 inHg, all in by 18 inHg and added a further 16 degree, but the timing was floating a few degree with the mechanical advance still working, I was doing the check just over idle using a vacuum pump.

I think it might be time for a rebuild or new distributor, everything is worn in there.

I have been looking at alternatives and like the idea of the All-in-one HEI with coil in cap, but they are ugly, and I do like the stock look.
I have bought a set of weights and springs with advance limit bush to see if I can get this back to a working condition, if not I will decide which way to go.

Tonight I will do a wet and dry compression test, she blows a little blue smoke on start up when cold and I would like to know if its valve guides / seal or rings.
The oil was WAY over full, almost 1” over the high mark on the stick, I know that doesn’t help with smoke (or power), so I will see how it is tonight when cold with fresh oil at the correct level.

Barnfind46 03-19-2019 11:25 PM

I installed my rear shocks,got the horn working,fixed a transmission cooling line leak and tightened up the emergency brake cable. Now I can get the truck inspected and tagged! No pictures! Too boring!

HYPR 03-20-2019 12:52 AM

Geez,
After reading some of the posts I feel like a slacker! However I am proud to say that my '72 C20 CS now has working brakes. The PO sold it to my buddy who owns a local body shop and he sold it to me. When he picked it up on his flat bed the PO said it had no brakes but he had replaced the MC and Booster. Well immediately from previous experience I knew all the flex lines needed to be replaced (wow that was fun finding them) and blowing out all the hard lines with compressed air to start completely fresh. I then with use of a Motive Power Bleeder (a pretty useless to for anything other than keeping the MC full of fluid because the adapter leaks at anything over 5 psi!) and a Vacuum bleeder and a set of new Russel Speed Bleeders.
I also fixed the screwy fuel line set up and replaced the useless OS electric fuel pump and got it running. Next will be replacing the sometimes it will work starter.

66clow 03-20-2019 06:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Still trying to get these things straight. Originally didn't care since I was going to bedliner them. After all this work I got to show them off with some paint if they come out straight🤪