The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin' (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=774867)

Ol Blue K20 06-11-2021 03:20 PM

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Geez!......

jaros44sr 06-15-2021 08:51 AM

Vic they’re pretty easy to change if you have the right pin tool
I ran into that with my TPI
Let me know and I’ll send you a tool or talk you thru it
Put the tool into the notch and the pin will pop out after you remove the white lock on the connecter

Vic1947 06-16-2021 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 8932704)
Vic they’re pretty easy to change if you have the right pin tool
I ran into that with my TPI
Let me know and I’ll send you a tool or talk you thru it
Put the tool into the notch and the pin will pop out after you remove the white lock on the connecter

Thanks, Jim. I have a set of pin tools (some flat, some round) I've used to disassemble weather pack connectors, etc. It hadn't occurred to me to do that with the connector I have ordered, but that would be preferable to splicing the wires.

I've been busy mocking up the dual quad setup and rearranging wiring. Seems like every time I turn around there's something I need to tweak. The choke mounted TPS is meant for a Holley carb and while the FST carb electric choke looks exactly like a Holley, it's not. Same goes for the progressive linkage - meant for Edelbrock carbs so the rods are a bit too short for my setup. Kathy will pick up the stainless rod I need today so I can make new pieces. But it's coming together.

I'd ordered a MSD Atomic trans controller only to find the TCM and harness were both on backorder until sometime in July. Cancelled both orders and got a Painless Perfect Torc setup. It arrived yesterday and so far, I'm impressed. As you'd expect, the wiring is top notch and the controller features are awesome. I don't know for sure yet, but it may actually work with the Lokar Electronic Sport Mode shifter I have to allow manual upshifts and downshifts. I emailed them to be sure their paddle shifter feature would work with a 4L60E type transmission. I know it would with the fully electronic 4L80E but I've read the 4L60E requires some sort of modification.

Will post some photos when I have a bit more progress to report.

jaros44sr 06-16-2021 11:34 AM

Glad it’s starting to work out I tried to get my computers working for two years before I gave up and put it in a shop that knew what they were doing

Got a pic of the dual quads I love fancy induction stuff

Been following your builds since CRLS I never posted up before but I do follow your great builds and great write ups

Wish you luck as you progress thru your problems

Vic1947 06-16-2021 05:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 8933091)
Glad it’s starting to work out I tried to get my computers working for two years before I gave up and put it in a shop that knew what they were doing

Got a pic of the dual quads I love fancy induction stuff

Been following your builds since CRLS I never posted up before but I do follow your great builds and great write ups

Wish you luck as you progress thru your problems

Thanks, Jim! Here's a preview of the dual quad setup. On the linkage side, I had to make the longer rod because the FST carbs on the Holley intake have a different spacing between the throttle levers than the Edelbrock setup. On the choke side, I had to relocate one of the legs for the TPS bracket due to the difference between the FST choke bolt pattern and a Holley. The rear view shows the Camozzi fitting that the 1/4" plastic line goes into. It feeds manifold pressure/vacuum to the MSD ignition box so it can retard/advance the timing under operating conditions. I'm not sure why MSD chose to use a mechanical source for MAP. Seems like a sender that screws into the manifold somewhere and has a few wires would be better, but what the heck do I know? ;)

mongocanfly 06-16-2021 08:33 PM

Hope those duals work for you Vic,,,I know many a people running duals, and it seems common for them to describe that duals are a tuning nightmare at times

Vic1947 06-16-2021 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8933243)
Hope those duals work for you Vic,,,I know many a people running duals, and it seems common for them to describe that duals are a tuning nightmare at times

I agree that multi carb setups can be tricky, Greg. One of the guys at Hot Rod Express is a guru on dual carbs. A guy I spoke with said his duals have been working great for many years after getting dialed in by them. I reckon it can't be any worse than the EFI. ;)

jaros44sr 06-17-2021 08:58 AM

Those look sweet personally I would have to mount them with Allen drive ss studs and nuts to stop the rust factor JMHO

Good luck hope to hear engine noises soon

Vic1947 06-17-2021 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 8933412)
Those look sweet personally I would have to mount them with Allen drive ss studs and nuts to stop the rust factor JMHO

Good luck hope to hear engine noises soon

Me too! SS studs on the way from McMaster-Carr along with some other hardware.

BTW, the Painless Perfect Torc trans controller I bought for the trans supports a paddle shift function. As it turns out, my Lokar shifter has bump switches built in. I'd planned on not connecting them because I thought only 4L80E and later trannys had that capability. Apparently, I was wrong. Talked to both Performance Automatics and a tech at Painless and they said there was no reason the 4L60E wouldn't be suited for it. Will give it a try and see if it works.

jaros44sr 06-18-2021 07:58 AM

They are my go to place for hardware next day delivery

Love my paddle shifters in my camaro my favorite quote is my wife saying “what was I thinking when I agreed to buying a car with 425 HP “

Whats the plan for regulater and fuel lines

Vic1947 06-18-2021 09:07 AM

I had paddle shifters in a Dodge Charger I owned awhile back. Lots of fun but I never really mastered them. Probably won't use the feature on this car all that much (assuming it works) but will be an interesting science project.

I plan to use the existing pump, regulator and the lines except for the short ones going to the carbs. I did order a 0-15 psi gauge to replace the 0-100 unit for the EFI setup. The in-tank pump is an Aeromotive 340 lph that's overkill for the carbs. Hoping the regulator will be happy bypassing that much fuel.

Russell Ashley 06-18-2021 01:09 PM

Can't you just remove the contacts out of the plugs and put them in the one that you need. Swapping pins would be easier and neater than splicing wires.

Vic1947 06-18-2021 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 8933921)
Can't you just remove the contacts out of the plugs and put them in the one that you need. Swapping pins would be easier and neater than splicing wires.

Thanks, Russell, Jim suggested that also and I plan to give it a try with my pin tools. Haven't had a chance to mess with it yet as I've been on the mill making a custom gauge pod for the AFR and trans pressure gauges. When faced with an "A" priority like getting the car running, I sometimes get diverted by non essential tasks. ;)

Vic1947 06-20-2021 06:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Still no engine noise. A change this drastic means having to redo almost everything. I've been pretty much tied to the lathe and mill. Made a new throttle cable bracket because I didn't like the one I modified to clear the progressive linkage. Also had to machine a fuel distribution block because no one makes what I needed. The throttle cable had to be shortened quite a bit and I'll have to build an adapter to go on the end of the aircraft cable.

Meanwhile, I was unable to remove the pins from the connectors as I'd planned. The slots for the pin tool were much smaller than the tools I have. So I soldered the wires and used shrink tubing for a nice tidy fix. With the split braided cover over the splices, you can't even tell it was done. Of course, the wires that go into the pigtail were reversed relative to the cam sensor plug. The brown/white wire is the signal wire and the middle wire is the ground, so the remaining one is for power. Layout is C B A instead of A B C. Or at least I hope so. The way my luck's been running, it will fry the sensor and the MSD box right before setting the car afire.

I did get a notice from FITech that the ECU, etc. are on their way back. Should be here on Tuesday. They reset everything to the factory defaults and tested the units, so they should be ready for some adventurous individual yet to be found. But it won't be me.

mongocanfly 06-21-2021 02:59 PM

("right before setting the car afire.")...ughhhh...please dont let that happen..!!!

Ol Blue K20 06-22-2021 10:00 AM

I'm still crossing my fingers Vic.

Low Elco 06-28-2021 05:06 PM

I was wondering about you this morning. I hope all this works for you!

Vic1947 06-28-2021 07:06 PM

Today hasn't been my day. The fuel regulator won't go low enough to use with the existing setup, so I removed it to prepare for a replacement. I'm not sure if the in-tank pump will work either, although I'm hoping it will. The issue seems to be the return line size. If it's too restrictive, the regulator may limited as to how low you can adjust the pressure. The carbs call for 6.5psi. The pump is internally limited to somewhere close to 100 psi so the regulator has to do all the work. Edelbrock has one that will handle high flow pumps but makes no mention of the max pressure value. If the regulator won't play nice with the rest of the system, I'll have to change the pump and perhaps the lines as well.

I spent about 15 minutes on hold with Aeromotive in Lenexa this morning before giving up and leaving my number for a call back. Haven't heard from them all day. I'd like to get their opinion, but a new regulator will be required no matter what.

The wiring is almost finished. I've got the stereo / NAV enclosure back in place and all the new wiring for the bump (paddle) shifter feature in place. Also added a rocker switch in the console to toggle between street and performance calibrations for the trans.

As I was moping around the shop right before supper, Kathy let me know the next door neighbor was preparing to build a fence between our houses that would come right up to the end of our back driveway. I negotiated an extra 1.5 feet of room by offering to pay more than my share of that section. (In KCMO you have to pay half even if you don't want the fence.) Not what I needed right now.

Vic1947 07-04-2021 06:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Happy 4th of July, everyone! Fireworks started a few days ago around here and should build to a rousing finale tonight. We love sitting out on the deck and watching the neighbor's pyrotechnics. Cheap thrills.

I'm getting closer to the moment of truth. Wiring is complete, although I left the fuel pump wire disconnected so I can do the MSD ignition and Painless TCU calibrations without flooding the engine. The throttle and cruse control cables are in place as is the new fuel regulator. I'm not satisfied yet with the throttle cable. It's only opening the blades about 75%. There are a couple of adjustments I can make but it may require a modification to the pedal assembly. I can calibrate the throttle position sender by manually opening the throttle, but I'm not sure how that will affect the transmission shift points. Probably better to calibrate it with 100% travel than a partial amount. That way when I get the pedal issue sorted out, it will be ready to go.

regan wilson 07-05-2021 06:14 PM

That looks awesome Vic. You know I'm kinda fond of dual carbs.

Vic1947 07-05-2021 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan wilson (Post 8940186)
That looks awesome Vic. You know I'm kinda fond of dual carbs.

Thanks, Regan, I think I'm gonna like them too.

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!! (Video link below)

Today I input all the parameters for the transmission and the ignition boxes, programmed the fan controller and the throttle position sensor. I also set the high and low fuel pressures and checked for leaks (just one fitting I'd failed to tighten fully). Then it was time to bust it off. Per the FST carb instructions, I gave the throttle two pumps and turned the key to start. Instant happiness. It fired up like it had been on the road for months. I let it warm up and adjusted the idle down then waited until the temp got high enough to trigger the low fan. Everything seems to be working. I ran the trans thru PRND and it felt good and solid. Trans pressure on the new gauge was reading around 250 psi. The AFR gauge was reading about 11 at idle. Once I get it on the road, I'll have a better idea of whether I need a jet change. Right now I'm pretty impressed with the way the carbs worked right out of the box. Also, the MSD, Painless and Dakota Digital electronics all worked great.

Tomorrow I plan to recalibrate the speedometer and check in with Hot Rod Express. Still need to get the A/C charged up and working. I'll sleep a lot better tonight. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdHkGkoo_ws

sduckworth13 07-05-2021 08:00 PM

Woohoo! Sounds amazing Vic!

mongocanfly 07-05-2021 09:09 PM

Best thing I've heard all day..!!!!

regan wilson 07-05-2021 09:41 PM

that sounds sweet Vic.

Ol Blue K20 07-06-2021 06:33 AM

Congratulations Vic!!!

jaros44sr 07-06-2021 02:42 PM

Congratulations on your success engine and car look and sound amazing

You knocked another one out of the park you do great work and I always enjoy your write ups

Is there another build in the wings

67C10Step 07-07-2021 07:52 AM

IT"S ALIVE!!! Ha, ha, ha, ha!!

Sorry, just could not resist. Super good work and glad to see this fine project moving towards completion. Love those wagons.

nsb29 07-07-2021 09:48 AM

We all knew you could do it

Vic1947 07-07-2021 07:23 PM

Thanks everyone, glad you enjoyed the video tour!

The car is back at Hot Rod Express. They got the A/C charged today and worked on some issues that cropped up during the drive down there. Unfortunately, it's unlikely they'll have it done in time to make the cruise-in down at the lake on Friday. I took my laptop to them this morning that has the Painless and MSD software on it so they can fine tune the transmission line pressures, shift points and TCC lock up as well as the timing curve. The MSD has a couple of built in (read only) timing tables for a LS3, but also supports up to four custom tables as well. HRE has a lot of expertise where this is concerned, so I want them to do whatever it takes to make the powertrain reliable and easy to drive.

I mentioned the exhaust note was a bit obnoxious inside the car and they suggested a pair of high flow cats in front of the mufflers might be a better choice than resonators. If they have time to add those while it's there, I think it would help. (I know, I know - if it's too loud, you're too old.) :rolleyes: If not, I'll bring it back when they have some space available.

That's all for now. It's weird having an empty workshop. I wasn't planning on another build, but I'm not sure if I can stand not staying busy.

nsb29 07-08-2021 09:00 AM

I had the same problem to loud and didn’t like the tone ether so I installed a pair of glass packs in front of the mufflers made a big difference. We will be driving across country in aug were going to our place in so-cal and I just didn’t want to listen to these crappy flomasters for 2500 miles! Maybe I’m too old as well LMAO

JayMc46 07-13-2021 02:19 PM

How is Hot Rod Express comeing along.

Vic1947 07-13-2021 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayMc46 (Post 8944682)
How is Hot Rod Express comeing along.

I've been down there the last two days and I'm headed back first thing in the morning. They convinced me to move the throttle brackets to the rear carb which has meant a ton of revisions. It will probably be for the best in the end, but right now it's a PITA.

I swapped in new plugs today and it looks like two cylinders weren't firing at all. Not sure if it was the plugs, the wires, the coils or a mix. Once we get it going again, I'll run some diagnostics to see if I can isolate the issue(s). I also pulled the carbs and put leaner jets in the primaries. However, while removing them, I found a major hiccup. Originally, I had everything hooked up and working, but then had to remove the intake to route some wiring. When I reassembled it all, I failed to plug the 12V lead into the electric choke. So all this time, the choke was fully closed on the primary carb while I was driving around. No wonder it ran like crap.

I think when all the bugs get sorted out, it should be a fun deal. But right now, it's giving me heartburn. HRE is going to build the throttle bracket, tune the carbs and progressive linkage and do a bit more work on the MSD timing curve. I hope to be able to pick it up next week. There's some cruise-in's I'd like to attend before we hit the road for the Tri-Five Nationals.

jlsanborn 07-13-2021 09:15 PM

Sounds like you're on the right track and it's going to run like a dream! I'm three years into a Holley TBI on the Dirty Girl and it still isn't just right :crazy:

LOVE the car, Vic!

Low Elco 07-13-2021 09:54 PM

Congratulations, Vic! Finally (I hope) it runs as good as it looks!

Ol Blue K20 07-13-2021 10:59 PM

I'm glad you're making some progress. Awesome!

Vic1947 07-18-2021 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 8944934)
Sounds like you're on the right track and it's going to run like a dream! I'm three years into a Holley TBI on the Dirty Girl and it still isn't just right :crazy:

LOVE the car, Vic!

Thanks, John! I'm surprised we don't hear more about the issues with EFI. One of the guys at Hot Rod Express has had a local Holley certified tuner working on his setup for a couple of months now. He called the other day to say he'd given up and suggested upgrading to a newer version. Depending on the age and design of a system, it could be borderline impossible to get it to work right. I've heard stories of how a calibration file that works for a particular combination won't work on the same exact setup in another car. Makes you wonder how they expect anything to function out of the box.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 8944961)
Congratulations, Vic! Finally (I hope) it runs as good as it looks!

Hey Chip, this coming week should tell us a lot. The throttle bracket and the cables are all done and the car is ready to fire up. I need to get some software down to HRE tomorrow so they can monitor the vitals while doing a test drive. Hopefully the changes we've made will help.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8944994)
I'm glad you're making some progress. Awesome!

Thanks, Dale. Every time I think I'm moving forward, something crops up I hadn't planned for. We'll see this week if any bugs are still lurking around.

Vic1947 07-19-2021 01:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some progress to report. This morning, the wagon moved from the trim shop area to the paint booth under its own power. When I left, Rick was working on the idle settings and planning for a test drive later on. The throttle bracket seems like it will work. To get the throttle blades to open fully, they adjusted the pedal stop which increased the angle inside the car a bit. Not sure how it will feel, but when I get it home, I can make another extension for the lever to increase the arc if I don't like the current setup.

I think I'm also going to ditch the stainless headers. They radiate a ton of heat and the spark plug boots barely fit. Had to buy the ceramic ones as I knew they'd be touching the tubes and regular silicone boots would never stand up. HRE has a couple of sets of LS3 crate motor take-offs so I may just have them install a set and revise the exhaust down pipes. Not sure when they can get to it, but I'd like for it to be done before the Tri-Five Nationals in August.

jlsanborn 07-19-2021 03:10 PM

I've used these with great success. Might not be the look your after though!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/d...caAqoDEALw_wcB

cornerstone 07-20-2021 12:32 AM

Boy, have I been missing out! Just flat out amazing work Vic.:metal:

California Dreamin' is no dream my friend.... It's as real as Gavin Newsom's recall.;)

Low Elco 07-21-2021 01:12 AM

Shoooo purdy!