The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Markeb01 Build Thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444502)

markeb01 04-01-2013 04:16 PM

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

Thanks for the comments guys. Driving the truck a few times showed it was easy to transition to the new mirror location. The loss of the passenger side view hasn’t been an issue as it was only used for backing into parking spaces anyway. It’s not much different than 20 years of experience with peep mirrors where the passenger side was also pretty much useless.

The new Revell 57 Ford tudor sedan kit has one mirror per kit that looks very similar. I already have 3 of the 57 kits, so a pair of those mirrors will soon find their way onto the 1/25th replica of my truck, even if I have to use a new cab to make the paint come out nice.

Grizz, thanks for the link to the photo dump. What a fantastic assortment of interesting vehicles. I think what I enjoy most is the individual creativity shown in both the selection (availability) of vehicles, but also the way they are finished. Often here in the states once a new fad or trend pops up, too many people copy the same idea and the flood of similar efforts get somewhat boring to look at.

I really am running out of simple improvement projects. The only remaining piece I have on hand is the chrome bead for the rear window. It will go in as soon as the weather warms up a bit. After that I think I will focus on saving up enough money for a new engine.

markeb01 04-05-2013 02:40 AM

This afternoon I thought it was time to look back on the external changes the truck has seen since the Blitz Black repaint in 2009, to get a better handle on the big picture.

This photo was taken right after reassembly. To me the shot almost looks like a new military aircraft before any of the markings go on. If I ever had to go back to this configuration I could be quite happy with it. It looked simple, basic, and purposeful:

http://imageshack.us/a/img705/8931/005gfur.jpg

And here’s a similar shot of how it looks today. I like the chrome/stainless additions as I think it makes the truck look more dignified and refined:

http://imageshack.us/a/img194/1734/007fim.jpg

Most of the cosmetic changes are pretty obvious, including the new grille, 327 fender emblems, windshield trim, spotlights, mirrors, bed cover and rails. The 15x5 front wheels were replaced with 15x7’s that match the rear, and all were repainted black.

I will likely invest in chrome vent windows and side glass frames in the future. And having the front end chromed might look nice, but I’d rather have a new engine for that amount of money.

It seems like something is still missing, but I’m becoming increasingly cautious about making any more changes to the outside. I remember back in the 1960’s how many nice show cars were ruined by their owners. Many never learned when to quit and continued making habitual “improvements” until all original beauty was lost. I don’t want to commit the same mistake.

Is there something obvious I’m missing, or should I quit now and leave well enough alone?

Seriously - all opinions are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Ta2Don 04-05-2013 08:35 AM

My $.02 = I like it that way you have it now, other than the chrome for the back window, I like the new engine instead of the chrome front... What direction are you considering for the new power-plant?

markeb01 04-05-2013 05:05 PM

I’m curious Don, it wasn’t clear if you like or dislike the chrome rear window bead. If you don’t like the chrome bead is it because of concerns over durability, or just think they look cheesy? I value and appreciate your input.

I like the looks of the chrome bead when new, but have seen enough that look lousy after a few years to wonder if it will hold up. I’m figuring on my truck it should last quite a while as the truck rarely sits outside baking in the sun. And in case it doesn’t I’ll be hanging on to the black beadlock to replace the chrome version should it fail.

I’m considering two different options on the replacement engine. My first Targetmaster 350 replacement engine carried my 46 Ford sedan for 300,000 miles and was still running strong when the car was sold. The identical P/N 10067353 350/260hp engine currently in the truck was purchased back in 1991 for $1260, and has powered the truck somewhere around 150,000 miles.

I don’t want to deal with rebuilding it as it suffered severe overheating back in 1995 and blew the passenger side head gasket. It runs and performs adequately, but fouls # 6 & 8 plugs about once a year ever since.

So option 1 is simply buy another identical engine for about $1500, swap in my Pete Jackson gear drive and plop it in the truck. I might also consider installing a Thumpr cam for fun, and swap over to Hydrovac brakes so I can continue to stop in spite of the resulting low vacuum.

Option 2 is to buy either a more expensive crate motor, or have one built up for something in the neighborhood of $3500. The main advantage here would be to obtain an engine that has been properly balanced. Poor balancing is the main disappointment I have with the base 350 crate motors. Each of the GM crate engines I’ve owned had a significant imbalance in the 2,000-2,500 rpm range, and it would nice to experience smooth performance without that irritation. If I go this way I’ll seriously consider going to the 1 piece crank seal which will require a new flywheel and possibly a different intake manifold.

It would be nice to have the roller cam, eliminating the oil problems associated with flat tappets. The trade off being what could be a significant cost increase, depending on how many accessories from my current engine can still be used.

Rich 5150 69 04-05-2013 05:16 PM

Mark, my 350 vortec had the same issue in about 2500 RPM, not sure what the issue is...I`ve got right in around 200k on it thou, can`t complain....

markeb01 04-05-2013 05:39 PM

Good to know Rich, thanks. I had a buddy years ago that worked at GM and he mentioned they assembled “balanced” production engines by grabbing a set of connecting rods from bins of rods that had been sorted by weight. So although the static weights were similar, the dynamics of the individual rods and crankshafts never received the finely tuned adjustment of actual dynamic engine balancing.

I suppose this is the best that can be expected from a low budget crate engine.

1Bad62Pro/Street 04-05-2013 06:12 PM

Here are some links on crate motors if you choose to go that route Mark.
=============================================
+ Summit Racing :

Edelbrock:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...make/chevrolet

All Brands:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...engine-type/v8
+ JEGS High Performance :

All Brands:

http://www.jegs.com/c/Engines-Compon...10763/10002/-1
+ Speedway Motors, Inc.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Classi...html?page=GRID
Hot Rodding Made Simple: Affordable Turn-Key Crate Engines
http://www.rodauthority.com/tech-sto...crate-engines/
http://cdn.speednik.com/files/2011/12/SBCGUIDE.jpg

http://www.state-flags-usa.com/nc.gifhttps://2tydsa.bay.livefilestore.com...Pro_Street.gifhttp://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...stian_flag.gif

Bomp 04-05-2013 07:20 PM

My .02
You have one nice truck. Like the changes you made. Top notch and attention to detail.
On the motor. Me personally I'd go for it. That usually gets me into trouble but getting pushed back in the seat is worth it. Well, until I have red/blue in the rearview.

66-PMD-GMC 04-05-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 5993204)
I’m considering two different options on the replacement engine. So option 1 is simply buy another identical engine for about $1500, swap in my Pete Jackson gear drive and plop it in the truck.

Option 2 is to buy either a more expensive crate motor, or have one built up for something in the neighborhood of $3500. The main advantage here would be to obtain an engine that has been properly balanced.

It would be nice to have the roller cam, eliminating the oil problems associated with flat tappets. The trade off being what could be a significant cost increase, depending on how many accessories from my current engine can still be used.

I have a couple questions Mark.
Why on earth would you want a gear drive?
Second question comment, I know of no "oiling" issues with hydraulic flat tappet cams but they are notorious for wiping out lobes. Where did you hear of oiling problems in hydraulic lifters...??
comment- The March 2013 copy of Super Chevy has a great article on roller cams and their superior advantages over hydraulic flat tappet cams.
You should check it out.
Last comment, I just finished helping a friend build his 350 Chevy small block. I believe it was a Vortec engine (99 maybe) and I am pretty sure it came with a roller cam originally.
The block was definitely "beefier" than a standard mouse motor and the lifter bores were deeper.
I am no expert on SBC as I am a tried and true Pontiac fanatic however, My buddy Brad spent just short of $2300 on a completely balanced SBC long block including head work and a roller cam. (his motor dyno'ed at 393 HP BTW)
Why would you need to spend $3500 on the worlds cheapest motor to build especially if you have a running SBC to start with for all the externals....??
Not throwing stones friend... just want to educate myself.. :)
:5150:

Ta2Don 04-05-2013 07:35 PM

Just re-read my earlier reply, I didn't word that correctly. I like the idea of the chrome bead around rear window, especially since you have the windshield one... so those are my thoughts on the rear window trim...

CRGRS 66 04-05-2013 10:01 PM

I love your truck Mark, everything about it, best part is how much you drive it, how you make constant improvements, and keep it so meticulously maintained. I definitely think that it is time for you to put a real bad A$$ engine in there, but i could spend your money all day long:uhmk:
:gmc2::gmc2::gmc2:

66-PMD-GMC 04-05-2013 10:51 PM

Hey Mark... got a PM from a concerned member..
I am not knocking what you are doing or planning...
If I came off rude.. my appologies... truly.. :)
I'm outspoken.. gets me in trouble... :rolleyes:

markeb01 04-06-2013 12:01 AM

Wow thanks everyone for the great feedback!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Bad62Pro/Street (Post 5993296)
[B][FONT="Courier New"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]Here are some links on crate motors if you choose to go that route Mark.

Thx for the nice condensed list. There are a bunch of options available there that are well within my budget. I’ll have to do a lot of study before making a decision, and that won’t happen until the end of the year as I’m undertaking some major house projects first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5993397)
My .02

On the motor. Me personally I'd go for it. That usually gets me into trouble but getting pushed back in the seat is worth it. Well, until I have red/blue in the rearview.

I’m leaning heavily in that direction. One of my lifelong weaknesses has been acting very responsibly, which got in the way of a lot of enjoyment. I’ve owned some pretty cool cars, but none of them ever had an engine I was thrilled about. And since I’m far from getting any younger, I just don’t see myself investing in something too boring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC (Post 5993413)
I have a couple questions Mark.
Why on earth would you want a gear drive?
Second question comment, I know of no "oiling" issues with hydraulic flat tappet cams but they are notorious for wiping out lobes. Where did you hear of oiling problems in hydraulic lifters...??
comment- The March 2013 copy of Super Chevy has a great article on roller cams and their superior advantages over hydraulic flat tappet cams.
You should check it out.
Last comment, I just finished helping a friend build his 350 Chevy small block. I believe it was a Vortec engine (99 maybe) and I am pretty sure it came with a roller cam originally.
The block was definitely "beefier" than a standard mouse motor and the lifter bores were deeper.
I am no expert on SBC as I am a tried and true Pontiac fanatic however, My buddy Brad spent just short of $2300 on a completely balanced SBC long block including head work and a roller cam. (his motor dyno'ed at 393 HP BTW)
Why would you need to spend $3500 on the worlds cheapest motor to build especially if you have a running SBC to start with for all the externals....??
Not throwing stones friend... just want to educate myself.. :)

Easy answer on the gear drive – my wife and I both love the sound they make, especially combined with the manual 4 speed. And with the 4.10 gears the engine will easily spin to the red line providing a real symphony of mechanical music. The only thing that could improve the racket would be steel tube headers and solid lifters, but I’m just too beat up to deal with the tappet adjustments any longer.

Not sure what confusion I offered, but I’m not aware of any SBC oiling issues either, other than wiping out flat tappet cams due to the crappy oil now on the market. Not sure if it’s worth dealing with the expense of additives to keep a flat tappet cam alive, or whether I should just bite the bullet and switch to the 86 up block with the roller cam and 1 piece rear main seal. Upgrading to the later block will require a new flywheel, and I’m not sure if some of my engine brackets will still fit.

I’ll definitely be reading the article you provided. I’ve been collecting all the information I can for several months now.

I’m not looking to spend $3500 for a $2300 engine, just intending to set a budget that can realistically provide what I’d like to end up with. It’s likely I’ll buy with either a crate motor from Chevy, or something from Jegs, Summit, etc. A big part of that is because I don’t know of any dependable builders in my local area that I would trust.

A few years back my wife’s original unmolested 68 F250 needed the engine rebuilt. After several recommendations and what I thought was thorough background research I contracted with a local shop to rebuild her engine. They did nothing promised. Instead of retaining my numbers matching engine, they replaced it with a generic rebuild and left the truck outside to be vandalized.

I had a buddy recommend his racing engine builder. They put together a beautiful 440 for his Road Runner, but the tab was almost $8,000 so I’m not sure they’d focus much attention on an engine in my budget range.

And the only custom engine I ever had built set me back over $3,000 back in the 1980’s and ended up being known as the demon engine. It provided a continuous string of problems until the crank went away and wiped out the block. So I’ll admit to being gun shy about having anything custom built locally ever again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 5993414)
Just re-read my earlier reply, I didn't word that correctly. I like the idea of the chrome bead around rear window, especially since you have the windshield one... so those are my thoughts on the rear window trim...

Thanks again Don. I just wanted to clarify because if you saw something I didn’t, that would have to be considered before I pulled the old seal out. I value your opinion and if the idea of the chrome bead had turned out to be stupid I would likely just leave the back window the way it is!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 (Post 5993687)
I definitely think that it is time for you to put a real bad A$$ engine in there, but i could spend your money all day long:uhmk:
:gmc2::gmc2::gmc2:

I’m of the same mindset! I love spending other people’s money when I don’t have to deal with the consequences! :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC (Post 5993795)
Hey Mark... got a PM from a concerned member..
I am not knocking what you are doing or planning...
If I came off rude.. my appologies... truly.. :)
I'm outspoken.. gets me in trouble... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the concern, but truly no offense taken. I ask for opinions and welcome all responses even if they are critical. It’s hard to brainstorm in a closet by myself, so thought provoking questions help me make better decisions.

Again thanks to everyone for reading and/or responding!

66-PMD-GMC 04-06-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 5993963)
Easy answer on the gear drive – my wife and I both love the sound they make, especially combined with the manual 4 speed.

Not sure if it’s worth dealing with the expense of additives to keep a flat tappet cam alive, or whether I should just bite the bullet and switch to the 86 up block with the roller cam and 1 piece rear main seal. Upgrading to the later block will require a new flywheel, and I’m not sure if some of my engine brackets will still fit.

I’ll admit to being gun shy about having anything custom built locally ever again.

Mark, I appreciate your open minded approch to life.
If you like a gear drive.. go for it! I would suggest checking into some of the inherent problems that come with a gear drive. ;)

You will love the 1 piece rear mains.. :)
The roller cam is the way to go on any angry motored hot rod... :metal:

Have you ever checked into shipping from Arizona?
Having a motor built to your needs is the best choice you could make IMHO.

Not sure if you thought of it but there are a couple very good shops here.
I have to spend $80 a piston to build my Pontiac motors for example and at the prices I have to pay for parts, I don't trust anyone as far as I could throw them.....
If they screwed up balancing my motor I would be out thousands of $$$$.
I put my own motors together checking every dimension as I go...

Mark, I just don't trust crate motors. They are generically built.
If you would like some referalls for shops here, PM me and I can set you up with one of 2 very reputable shops that guarantee their work.
Just an idea...

markeb01 04-12-2013 07:26 PM

Not a lot to see but the truck got put to work today hauling the skeleton of a dead storage tent over to the county recyclers, this in preparation for a permanent custom built shed going up next week. All of my rusty old Buick wheels made the trip as well. Of course right after I unloaded, I remembered a new pay recycling outfit just opened up down the street where I might have brought home 20 bucks on the adventure! So much for forethought! :lol:

Now you see it:

http://imageshack.us/a/img69/8075/76042309.jpg

Now you don’t:

http://imageshack.us/a/img820/8792/30846581.jpg

All loaded up and ready to head out. It was bright and sunny when I started, cold and windy by the time I got done. There was enough of a load to bring the rear end down and inch or two.

Same stuff from a different angle.

http://imageshack.us/a/img849/9131/a01qm.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img811/1372/a02oq.jpg

I wanted to have some before sequence photos for when the new structure goes up. What this really means however, is that within the next week or two all the garden tools will have a new home and the only thing in the garage will be truck stuff! Making the wife happy certainly has advantages. :)

markeb01 04-12-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC (Post 5994008)

Not sure if you thought of it but there are a couple very good shops here.
I have to spend $80 a piston to build my Pontiac motors for example and at the prices I have to pay for parts, I don't trust anyone as far as I could throw them.....

If they screwed up balancing my motor I would be out thousands of $$$$.
I put my own motors together checking every dimension as I go...

Mark, I just don't trust crate motors. They are generically built.
If you would like some referalls for shops here, PM me and I can set you up with one of 2 very reputable shops that guarantee their work.
Just an idea...

Thanks for the input as always. Your comments got me to checking into a few local shops. So far I've found one small shop with 5 employees that builds custom engines (for like 25 years) and seems to have nothing but good feedback. In fact so far I haven't been able to find any negative information about them at all, and they are accredited with the BBB.

I also found another one that has multiple scathing reviews about their horrible customer support, poor engine reliability history, and dishonored warranty claims. So it certainly does pay to check first.

If I can be convinced the first shop is as good as they seem, I'll seriously consider having an engine done to my specs. They actually offer custom crate motors that are competitively priced with GM offerings, with better parts and balancing. It could actually end up being cheaper than a standard GM Performance item.

Ta2Don 04-12-2013 08:23 PM

Awesome to see your truck in action, so to speak!!! Looking good...

66-PMD-GMC 04-13-2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 6007861)
Thanks for the input as always. Your comments got me to checking into a few local shops. So far I've found one small shop with 5 employees that builds custom engines (for like 25 years) and seems to have nothing but good feedback. In fact so far I haven't been able to find any negative information about them at all, and they are accredited with the BBB.

I also found another one that has multiple scathing reviews about their horrible customer support, poor engine reliability history, and dishonored warranty claims. So it certainly does pay to check first.

If I can be convinced the first shop is as good as they seem, I'll seriously consider having an engine done to my specs. They actually offer custom crate motors that are competitively priced with GM offerings, with better parts and balancing. It could actually end up being cheaper than a standard GM Performance item.

Nothing wrong with covering your bases... and ... you will never regret having a motor built specifically for your application. :metal:

markeb01 04-15-2013 07:48 PM

After hours and hours of research, the new engine project got moved up the list. This morning I ordered up the cam and kit, Comp Cams HE268H (K12-210-2). I think it will perform well and sound great, and is a lot more practical than the Thumpr series. Should I ever have to go back to an automatic (for medical reasons), it would work fine with a stock converter up against my 4.10 rear end gears. The only item I won’t be using is the timing set, as I’m going to retain my Pete Jackson noisy gear drive.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/4079/ccak122102w.jpg

Next I checked online and found Harbor Freight had their engine hoists and stands on sale, so I scooted over and picked up one of each. A helpful employee hefted the 300 pound load and a few minutes later they were home in the garage:

http://imageshack.us/a/img689/1609/58128596.jpg

A few hours of assembly work and both are ready for service. They both seem reasonably sturdy although the bolts look like grade 2 to me and will be replaced. I’m thankful the hoist includes a handle. That one feature makes using these things so much easier. The instructions were lousy, but nothing was missing and everything fit together easily.

http://imageshack.us/a/img706/7902/37814197.jpg

No matter where I pick up the new engine I need a way to get it off the truck, whether mine or a delivery van. With these tools available I can finalize more decisions and get moving.

Both units fold up to a reasonably small footprint which is a nice benefit. More to follow.

CRGRS 66 04-15-2013 11:06 PM

Exciting!

Ta2Don 04-16-2013 09:27 AM

Let the Fun continue!!! Keep Rockin'

Bomp 04-16-2013 12:17 PM

Congrats on the new tools:metal:
When I got my cherry picker I was amazed at how many friends needed to use it. Think the cherry picker has over 10,000 miles being hauled around:haha:

my .02
You have one of the cleanest and well organized garages I've ever seen.

pdxhall 04-16-2013 05:39 PM

Hey Mark, it's great that you're getting your new engine. I'm getting real close to the place in my build that I need to start thinking about an engine so I'll be following close to see what you come up with. You seem to be wanting the same type of performance I'm looking for so I'm interested in what you come up with. By the way, the latest upgrades to you truck are very cool. :metal:

Jmorales3181 04-16-2013 08:56 PM

Nice addition to the garage!can't wait to hear a new video once your new motor goes in! Those videos you last posted still make me want to consider going manual trans. :chevy:
Posted via Mobile Device

markeb01 04-17-2013 01:34 AM

Thanks for the comments guys. I’m expecting to have the same problem with the cherry picker. I’ve got a coil spring compressor that finally came home after having been in several states and spending a year in a storage shed in Modesto belonging to someone I’d never met that was a friend of one of my sons. :lol:

I can hardly wait for the new engine & video myself. It should sound and accelerate much better than the current setup. I’ve been waiting for decent weather to do an inside and outside walk around clip, but those are now on hold.

After watching several YouTube cool car videos with beautiful young ladies adding to the visual interest, I suggested my daughter’s participation would make those videos far more interesting. She’s adventurous and thought it would be a lot of fun. Unfortunately she lives a couple of states away and only visits 4-5 times a year, so I’ll have to put some effort into choreographing a video worthy of her talents before her next visit. I’m pretty sure those uploads will be appreciated way more than my other stuff.

Regarding transmissions, I drove the truck for 13 years with a Turbo 350 but never got rid of the clutch pedal because I always wanted to go back to a stick shift. I finally took the plunge 8 years ago and have always been glad I made the change. I had back and knee problems even then, but figured if I got 5 years out of the swap it would have been worth it. My knees are much worse now, but I don’t see ever going back to an automatic unless it just becomes impossible to drive a manual. When I was a teenager if you couldn’t drive a stick, you didn’t know how to drive. And I’ve never outgrown the youthful thrill of hearing those gears wind up. My only disappointment is that I don’t have an M22 with that screaming low gear!

66-PMD-GMC 04-17-2013 10:21 AM

Because of your thread, I was doing some checking around for a motor.
I ran across a guy with a 99 vortec engine, He had all the machine work done except for final honing.
He also has everything except pistons, cam and lifters. It's set up for a roller cam.
The engine is in a bag and sitting on an engine stand.
The seller is moving and sold me everything for $300.
This is the 2nd sbc I have ever bought. I think I got a good deal.
Every now and then I run into a great deal... sure glad I found this. :metal:

markeb01 04-17-2013 06:20 PM

Good for you. Some of those moving or divorce sales can really open up the bargains. Big heavy items like engine blocks and body shells go from treasure to burden in a heartbeat. Kind of like Sunday afternoon at the swap meet.

1963c-10 04-17-2013 07:54 PM

cant wait to see the new engine in and running. i too had my engine built w/hydraulic flat tappet cam over roller, just what i grew up wrenching on. i like the sound of the gear drive, but w/the heavy cam in the big block and headers, i figured it might just drown out anyways. i did alot of research on drilling out oil gallies for timing chains/gear drives for extra oiling. there is a good article in a build book i have.anyways, way off coarse....great looking truck as always and looking forward to the changes to come
Posted via Mobile Device

markeb01 04-19-2013 12:01 AM

After checking out a few local engine building options, I’ve decided to stick with what I know. This morning I picked up my 4th GM base model 350 (the 260 hp version) from a local Chevy dealer. It sure pays to shop around. I paid the Summit Racing price in Spokane. I checked in Idaho where the taxes are cheaper hoping to save a few bucks, but their asking price was $400 higher!

I bought my first 350 Targetmaster engine in 1980. I spent five years building a 67 Chevelle which was powered by an anemic 283 and Powerglide. For my birthday that year the 350 was my first ever brand new engine. Compared to the 283, the 350 coupled with a Muncie 4 speed absolutely flew. Sadly 3 or 4 days later a drunk driver ran a red light and totaled the car. The drivetrain got swapped into a 68 Buick and sold off, so I never really got to enjoy the new engine.

In 1984 the 2nd GM 350 Targetmaster engine went in my 46 Ford sedan. It served dependably for 8 years and 300,000 miles, and was still running great when I sold the car.

The 3rd GM 350 was installed the truck in 1992 and is getting tired. I think they were called Goodwrench engines by that time. It would have probably lasted a lot longer but back in 1995 I got stuck on the freeway on a 100+ degree day and the motor got cooked. It ultimately blew a head gasket and chugged to a stop. It’s been serving faithfully with nothing more than a new head gasket ever since, but 6 & 8 spark plugs get fouled every few months.

In any event, the 260 hp engines are about $1600 and the 290 hp versions are $400 more for nothing but a cam change. So I figured I’d rather pick the cam I really want and add a few more goodies while I’m at it. And great "timing" ;) the cam, kit and valve springs showed up today. I still need to pick up some long slot rocker arms, gaskets and a few other items before it goes on the stand.

I picked the engine up first thing and had to leave it in the bed while I hustled over for some oral surgery. Afterwards I managed to get the engine on the ground and the bed cover back on before the pain stuff wore off. That was the end of production for today.

It will be a few days before there’s any more engine progress as I will be performing construction for the wife tomorrow (pain permitting) and dealing with contractors next week.

I’m really looking forward to getting this put together and installed.

Ta2Don 04-19-2013 12:08 AM

I feel your pain Mark, I too had some dental work this past Monday, looking forward to some welding this weekend!
Posted via Mobile Device

66-PMD-GMC 04-19-2013 12:41 AM

Too bad you can't pop a couple of those edelbrock heads on that new motor, a nice rumpety cam and the other go fast parts you want so you can make a bunch more power.. :)

likaroc13 04-19-2013 02:45 AM

Congrats on the new engine purchase. Looking forward to your build & installation.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rich 5150 69 04-19-2013 03:27 AM

Mark glad to see a new motor, I`m in the same issue, my vortec has 200k on it, same with the auto.

markeb01 04-19-2013 08:43 PM

Ordered all but two remaining items needed for the new engine today. Everything from an Air Hold Fitting Set to change the valve springs to ZDDP additive, along with gaskets, a balancer, and a vacuum canister for the brakes. It sure doesn't take long to run up a bill!

All that’s left to pick up now are new motor mounts from Napa and a new oil pan gasket from GM. One bummer with these base level GM crate motors is having a dipstick provision on both sides which prevents using aftermarket or those cool one piece oil pan gaskets.

markeb01 04-22-2013 12:22 AM

I decided it would be easier to pull the engine & transmission as one unit, so today I picked up an engine tilter from Harbor Freight. One reviewer indicated the included chain was of poor quality and actually broke on lifting, so I inspected the chain and found it is definitely of questionable quality and will be replaced. Some of the individual link ends don’t line up and are fused crooked, while others are smashed with jagged pieces of metal sticking off the joints.

In the garage I rounded up my tailshaft plugs and clutch alignment/transmission installation kit.

Also completed enough internet research to validate removing the centrifugal weights from the Centerforce pressure plate I have won’t be a problem. The weight rattle has annoyed me ever since I installed the 4 speed back in 2005.

With all remaining parts due to arrive this week I’m getting more than a little excited to get started on the engine swap.

Ta2Don 04-22-2013 08:50 AM

Looking forward to it as well, I really enjoy watching your progress through any part of this insanity we so enjoy and love. Anticipating all the pics and the video of the new engine's maiden voyage... Keep Rockin' Mark!!!

1Bad62Pro/Street 04-22-2013 03:03 PM

Mark,

I'm just now catching up.
Is this the engine you purchased for your truck?
http://www.jegs.com/i/GM-Performance...67353/10002/-1

And the cam kit?
http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp-Cams/249/K12-210-2/10002/-1

Good stuff:;)
Joe Gibbs Break-In Motor Oil
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...Term=Joe+Gibbs

HR-2 Conventional 10W-30
Great for small block engines and "crate" motors.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Joe-Gibbs-Raci...ductId=1503690

Good Info - Training Center:
http://www.drivenracingoil.com/news/...aining-center/

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/DrivenRa...ow=grid&view=0

http://www.state-flags-usa.com/nc.gifhttps://2tydsa.bay.livefilestore.com...Pro_Street.gifhttp://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...stian_flag.gif

markeb01 04-22-2013 05:24 PM

Yep that's the engine and cam I picked up. Since both Summit and Jeg's offer free shipping, I was originally going to get the engine from Jeg's due to the cheaper price, but the convenience of picking the engine up locally compared to trying to unload it from a delivery truck and get it up into my garage was worth the extra bucks to me. I also added a set of Crane long slot rocker arms as I've had good experience with them.

markeb01 04-22-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6027044)
Anticipating all the pics and the video of the new engine's maiden voyage...

Thanks Don! Having plenty of time on my hands today overseeing a construction contractor, I finalized my 97 step checklist for the engine swap. I like having the step by step process all written down ahead of time and go over it in my head several times to make sure I haven’t forgotten anything before the wrenches start turning. During the project I keep it on the bench and move from step to step checking them off as I go. For me it almost eliminates mistakes.

And tomorrow my wife will have her new 20 foot long yard shed, after which all the yard tools leave the garage! That will open up a huge footprint making the engine switch much easier. The other issue I’ve been having is terrible weather, windy, wet, cold, and muddy so the garage floor is also filthy. As soon as the shed is loaded, I’m going to wash down the garage floor so I can get started with the valve train and cam swap on the new engine. We’re projected to have 70+ degree weather this weekend, so I’m likely to get started right away. Going over and over the checklist making adjustments, I feel like I’ve already done the swap and can see it finished.

Another thing I realized is how glad I am the inner fenders are gone. Everything is just sitting right there in plain view allowing unparalleled access. With the engine out I’d love to do a full detail job on the chassis/front suspension and repaint the exhaust manifolds, but since the truck is also our primary back up, I’m going to try and do the swap in 1-2 days and do the best I can on cosmetic details later.

I’ll be sure to take a lot of photos and get a video up as soon as the cam is broken in.

markeb01 04-23-2013 08:06 PM

Wandering around the General Store this afternoon looking at shiny stuff, I noticed they carried POR-15 exhaust manifold paint. I also noticed the full pint can was marked down from $29.99 on clearance for $22.99. It looks like I’ll be painting the exhaust manifolds after all!

And my wife picked up some chain at Lowe’s for me today to replace the junk chain that came with the engine tilter. Here’s the difference in quality:

These shots are of the Harbor Freight tragedy in waiting. This is probably okay for hanging a bird feeder, but I’m not willing to bet my life on it. IMHO it’s predictably dangerous and including it with a lifting device is irresponsible:

http://imageshack.us/a/img836/9668/0019pn.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img163/659/0020dxg.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img203/7080/0021ks.jpg

For comparison here’s the Lowe’s version. All the links look perfectly fused and exactly the same, which gives me a whole lot more confidence:

http://imageshack.us/a/img521/1747/0022hu.jpg

We also stopped by the Chevy dealer and stumped the experts on needing a double dipstick oil pan gasket for the new crate motor. They had to refer to GM tech support to identify the correct part number!

And finally I have confirmation that all remaining items for the engine swap are in transit, with everything due to arrive between tomorrow and Saturday. We’re a day behind schedule due to builder delays, but I’m still hoping to get started reworking the new engine this weekend.