The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Johns 66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=734699)

Johns 66 02-21-2019 06:00 PM

Re: Johns 66

5 Attachment(s)
Few More

cwcarpenter98 02-21-2019 06:44 PM

Looking great! :metal:

straight6chevyguy 02-22-2019 05:04 PM

It's looking really good John!

Side question: What do you plan on going with for exhaust on the truck?
Single pipe,Duels,Loud,quiet or what?

Johns 66 02-22-2019 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8471447)
Looking great! :metal:

Thanks Christian...slowly but surely

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy (Post 8472117)
It's looking really good John!

Side question: What do you plan on going with for exhaust on the truck?
Single pipe,Duels,Loud,quiet or what?

The truck already has dual exhaust on it now....Flowmasters...not sure what series or part number they are and they sound pretty good.

I am having Bryan cut a 3in hole and put a backing plate for strength in the trailing arm cross member so I can re-route the exhaust....To me its a little to close together at the bumper.....Im gonna try and use the flowmaster I have now to save a little money

Johns 66 02-23-2019 09:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
took the ole beat up rear fender wells and decided to fix them instead of buying new one. There was quite a few dents ...guess the truck was used as a truck....lol
Anyways worked on my metal, filler and sanding skills....have a ways to go on all....but at least I can always sand it off. Still trying to figure out how to put enough filler on and get it smoother before sanding but as you can see...I still have lots to learn..lol

I "Have Been Told" that this is probably one of the hardest part to do because of all the curves....I know it took me about 10 hrs to get them ready for primer and Im sure I missed a spot or two...But its a lot better than thinner metal Chinese parts...and a cost of about 300.00 including shipping. Gonna wait till I have more to prime plus am waiting my new gun...figure its better to learn a new gun with primer and base and clear.

roll_the_dice 02-23-2019 09:21 PM

Looks great John--Looks like a savings of $300 to me! Have they shipped your new guns yet?

Johns 66 02-23-2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8473017)
Looks great John--Looks like a savings of $300 to me! Have they shipped your new guns yet?

Andy...They have...They were on sale at Eastwood for 323.00 so way I figure it my paint guns cost me 2 days of sanding...a good trade for me.

I think Im gonna wait to epoxy prime until I get my truck back and just prime all of it at once. The hood should be blasted so when I get it back Im gonna sanding on it , put filler on it and get it ready for epoxy...after that work on the front clip, then the cab. Once all is in epoxy and high build then I will start blocking with 220 on up.

Johns 66 02-26-2019 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lil update....After looking at the grille I remembered that the backsides of these steel grilles usually rusted...So I took it all apart and painted the backside with POR 15....hopefully never to rust again.

I did receive my spray gun, hammer and dolly set plus some flexible sanding block from Eastwood. Will see how these work this weekend if it doesn't rain.

Johns 66 03-01-2019 05:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finishing Touches...Pick her up next week!!!!…...Then the real work begins....Sand and Prime..lol

Bought some aircraft grade paint stripper from KBS coatings gonna try and remove the old undercoating from the front and inner fenders. They said it would remove it...we shall see.

Got my sand for the Pressure Washer sand blaster attachment like Kdad used so should be able to get it down to a good starting place with these 2 things.

roll_the_dice 03-01-2019 07:00 PM

Awesome! Congrats!!! Looks great..

cwcarpenter98 03-01-2019 08:37 PM

That's going to be sweet!

straight6chevyguy 03-02-2019 12:25 AM

That's great news John!

Captainfab 03-02-2019 01:36 AM

sometimes, old undercoating becomes hard and brittle and can be chipped or scraped off.

Johns 66 03-02-2019 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8477593)
Awesome! Congrats!!! Looks great..

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8477671)
That's going to be sweet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy (Post 8477842)
That's great news John!

Thanks guys.....She is starting to come together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 8477882)
sometimes, old undercoating becomes hard and brittle and can be chipped or scraped off.

John I hope you are right.....If I remember correctly....when I was simply sanding down the old paint the undercoating was kinda hard.....I think between the stripper I got, water sandblasting kit and lots of scraping that I will be able to get them pretty clean.

If I can get then inside parts all the way down to metal Im gonna lay the POR15 to it, then undercoat.....hopefully that will alleviate any rust in the future.

kdad 03-02-2019 11:53 AM

Captains right. Might be best to scrape as much of it as possible first. I'm excited to see what you think of the blaster...

Johns 66 03-02-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdad (Post 8478058)
Captains right. Might be best to scrape as much of it as possible first. I'm excited to see what you think of the blaster...

I am too Scott...Once I get her back Ill start being able to work on everything and get it into Epoxy Primer. I plan on picking her up either Wed or Thurs next week.

Im gonna try and scrape as much as I can off then use the stripper and blaster.

Johns 66 03-04-2019 11:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well since it was freezing butt cold today...Went and did a lil shopping.

So I bought me some stuff....Got a Hazard Switch...paid 20.00 didn't think that was too bad.

A Chrome Chevrolet Script Emblem 20.00 Hard to Pass this up

A new in the box from Brothers Truck Parts a rear sway bar for my truck for 75.00 Didn't figure that was bad at all since they are like 150.00 from Brothers

Some fender rubber for 5.00

A lot better condition gear shift arm for 20.00

Also got a power steering pump with bracket and steering sector for 100.00

So not too bad of a day...I did pick up some other stuff that Im gonna sell....figured someone could use it.

Android04 03-05-2019 02:16 PM

Love the truck; especially the C60 grill. Look forward to the finished product.

Johns 66 03-05-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Android04 (Post 8480523)
Love the truck; especially the C60 grill. Look forward to the finished product.

Thanks Andrew...I think its gonna look killer once the truck is done and its installed;)

roll_the_dice 03-07-2019 04:40 PM

OK John....We want to see pictures of your truck ...since you went and picked her up today! I can see that grin all the way down here!

Johns 66 03-08-2019 12:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8482017)
OK John....We want to see pictures of your truck ...since you went and picked her up today! I can see that grin all the way down here!

Yes Sir...glad to have my baby back!!!!!:cf:

Traffic was horrible so the reason for the late post....just now getting home after putting her to bed for the night......had to kinda clean up a lil bit to get her in the shop.
Ill post some more pics later....and give an overview of what was done....Yes there is now no exhaust on my truck....:jdp:

This is the last time you will see her on a trailer......unless she breaks down.

Johns 66 03-08-2019 03:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I also learned a little information tonight...I guess a crook is gonna be a crook no matter what. I was always taught and under the impression that when looking at older vehicles that you should take a magnet with you to check the body....and I did that when I bought mine and of course thought I was getting a fairly rustfree truck.

When I picked up my truck tonight they straightened the tailgate since it had a slight bow in it....well when they did the outside cracked...Yes BONDO. So I decided to dig out to see how bad it was, but before I did I stuck a magnet to see if it would stick.

Well guess what it stuck...so it cant be that thick...just a skim coat..WRONGO!!!!!!

Evidentially the previous owner or whomever "Fixed Up" this rust free truck decided that just as I thought that anyone who wanted to buy it would bring a magnet....just like I did.

So in their sneakiness and deceptiveness they took metal shavings/dust and added it to the bondo before they spread it,,,guess what happens then? Magnets stick to Bondo.

Yes I dug down till I found true metal and noticed the metal fragments in the bondo. Previously I thought because I was using a wire wheel to get the bondo out and the wire wheel was breaking that I was just getting wheel spinters….well turns out that actually I was getting the metal shavings from the bondo.

I cant stand a crook, liar and a thief...Now I really know why the PO wont answer my calls. Karma and the Good Lord will get whomever did this.

Its hard to see the metal shavings/dust in the bondo but trust me its there. This one spot is at least 1/2 in thick.

So looks like im gonna have to look for a tailgate now......That stinks!!!!

roll_the_dice 03-08-2019 09:34 AM

Wow...can't believe they put metal shavings in the bondo. That is underhanded for sure! You will get her fixed up, but it is disappointing I am sure.

cwcarpenter98 03-08-2019 11:04 AM

Dadgum, that sucks on the tailgate. Think on the positive though, the rest of it is looking great!

Robert Haas 03-08-2019 11:36 AM

magnets stick through bondo if the bondo is less then 1/4" thick.

Old wives tale using magnets to find body filler.

The one caveat of that is to use those flexible magnetic labels/stickers that have the rubberized magnet on them. those will not stick to even a skim coat of body filler.