The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Tricked-out Chevy six cylinder engines (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=276823)

vegadesign 06-10-2013 03:10 PM

Re: Tricked-out Chevy six cylinder engines

not much of a tricked out one, but its green!! lol

Before
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/...pscc6da5b8.jpg
After
http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8a68f184.jpg

K5 Addiction 06-10-2013 04:25 PM

I'm not gonna wade into any of that mess except to say I've had nothing but good dealings with Tom & have never heard him claim to invent anything. He's a very solid & honest engine builder.

paintman 06-10-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6116896)
Even Larry at clifford. Did you know I got majorly scammed by clifford? He told me all this crap about how to restore my 6, and mind you, did a darn good job of it cause if I had followed his instruction I would have dumped all most or more than four grand into my motor! Only to have major problems with it. Were did I get my knowledge of this? I talked with a guy who did exactly as Larry at clifford told him and he had nothing but constant flood out problems and timing issues and to top it off he spent over 6,000 dollors in that motor only to have problems! I have watched all off Tom Lowe's lump port videos, copied, I have looked at his lumps, they were copied also. Now there are a ton of people praising Tom Lowe for all his achievements when all they were was copies of the real thing. Two scam artists out there are Larry Clifford and Tom Lowe. Believe me I have almost learned the hard way.

So if I follow your logic, your saying that all the manufacturers of domed pistons would also be considered scam artists, except for the original designer? Unless there was a patent on the lumps, anyone could have copied them. Tom was just quick on the draw in my opinion. It may not be considered ethical to some people, but certainly not illegal. THAT IS OF COURSE IF THERE WAS NO PATENT. And lets not forget that patents run out.

Also, don't forget there was/is also a P.E.S. lump on the market. Although shaped slightly different it was the same exact principle. Was that guy a scam artist.
All you have to do is change the design slightly such as the shape or the way the lump is fastened and I say its fair game.

If you don't like people who copy other peoples ideas, I recommend you not hang out any any type of Motorsports event. Out here on the East coast we are big into the dirt modified racing. I can tell you for certain that there are 4 or 5 car builders that buy their competitors cars through a 3rd party, take them back to their shop, measure and copy them. Are they scam artists or just opportunists? Hell it was happening so much back in the early 90's that now all the parts are interchangeable on 6-7 different makes of dirt cars.

Now before everyone dog piles on me.........I am in no way standing up for T. Lowe. I'm just pointing out its the way of the world now a days. As for Clifford,...I know nothing about them except that I own one of there intakes, and I wish they still made aluminium timing covers:lol:

Vernski 06-11-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6117606)
I am not out to hurt anybody who has used Tom L. for engine building. As for Tom, I just got upset when I saw the direct copies of these lumps. And I am not trying to create a mess.

T.J. If there were patents on the lump ports they will have to battle it out in court. If there were no patents it's a open field and free enterprise. Sometimes life is not as fair as we would like it to be, then acceptance is the key. Sorry what I posted got you upset it was FYI for all of us..:b69:

Heater63 06-11-2013 12:27 PM

Nothing but GREAT experiences with Tom. And I know of know other guy that would pool a bunch of guys and small donations together and spend days and days doing dyno comparisions of the 250 AND 292 in various trim.
Read the stuff on inliners and you will see Tom shares, is accurate with his info, and is courteous in doing so.

my 2 c.

TJ's Chevy 06-11-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heater63 (Post 6118327)
Nothing but GREAT experiences with Tom. And I know of know other guy that would pool a bunch of guys and small donations together and spend days and days doing dyno comparisions of the 250 AND 292 in various trim.
Read the stuff on inliners and you will see Tom shares, is accurate with his info, and is courteous in doing so.

my 2 c.

Glad to know you have had good experience with him. Accurate and courteous i can bear the witness. The only thing I was upset about was the copy of the lumps and i am not the only one.

gimmy 64 06-11-2013 08:14 PM

who do you think came up with the lump ports? is this something you know or some one tell you? I know Larry --- twisted Six has been selling them for along time but I don't think he was the original person to develop them he just started to make them and sell them . I think the idea was done along time ago by racers and never developed. so if you built a hand made blower manifold for a 235 chevy six and vick edelbrock started to manufacture one similar would you be pissed and never by edelbrock?

TJ's Chevy 06-11-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegadesign (Post 6116892)

May not be tricked out but looks like a good start in my opinion. Thanks and keep us posted.:chevy:

Vernski 06-13-2013 04:43 PM

Hi guys I bought Leo Santucci's Chevrolet inline six-cylinder power manual this is the second edition. I'm disappointed that the only color pages are the front and the back. Does the first edition have color pages inside the covers? I see the first edition costs more so did I get what I paid for Black&white? Vernski:thumbs:

TJ's Chevy 06-13-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 6121933)
Hi guys I bought Leo Santucci's Chevrolet inline six-cylinder power manual this is the second edition. I'm disappointed that the only color pages are the front and the back. Does the first edition have color pages inside the covers? I see the first edition costs more so did I get what I paid for Black&white? Vernski:thumbs:

The first edition does not have any color photos either. Did you get the first printing of the second edition or the second printing? Was told by Mike Barile at ravenswood( he one of the writers) That a knew printing of the second edition was coming out and this had all the factory horse and torque specs for the chevy 6. Glad t know you got the power manual vernski!:metal:

Vernski 06-13-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6121976)
The first edition does not have any color photos either. Did you get the first printing of the second edition or the second printing? Was told by Mike Barile at ravenswood( he one of the writers) That a knew printing of the second edition was coming out and this had all the factory horse and torque specs for the chevy 6. Glad t know you got the power manual vernski!:metal:

To bad you can't see what's in the manual before you buy it. There are no factory hp or torque specs in this edition none only some bits of expected gain after modifications. I'm not saying it's not useful but my expectations were no where close to the hype I'd heard about it. Close but no cigar:smoke:..Vernski

sixtyeightchevykid 06-14-2013 08:42 AM

went and talked to the best exhaust guy i know yesterday and he said he would love to do the exhaust on a six. im pretty excited. im going to be getting the langdons cast headers duals exiting behind the drivers rear tire. i have another question. i want to use studs in the head to hold the manifold and headers but i want to know what size the studs need to be the length is what im after. thanks

TJ's Chevy 06-16-2013 10:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well here it is. Finally got my carb. Gonna get a exhaust system put in sometime next week. This thing sound awesome running straight pipes! Though I got a major headache in the cab while I was driving it. Has a 600 cfm edelbrock. Sounds like a mean machine when you rev it up.

TJ's Chevy 06-16-2013 10:50 AM

Gonna hook up the water system today, maybe.

boucher racing 06-16-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6125897)
Well here it is. Finally got my carb. Gonna get a exhaust system put in sometime next week. This thing sound awesome running straight pipes! Though I got a major headache in the cab while I was driving it. Has a 600 cfm edelbrock. Sounds like a mean machine when you rev it up.

Looking good man! There is nothing like that split 6 exhaust note. Nice work

TJ's Chevy 06-16-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boucher racing (Post 6125902)
Looking good man! There is nothing like that split 6 exhaust note. Nice work

Thanks! To bad its not legal in these parts to run straight pipes!:whine:

Vernski 06-16-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixtyeightchevykid (Post 6122906)
went and talked to the best exhaust guy i know yesterday and he said he would love to do the exhaust on a six. im pretty excited. im going to be getting the langdons cast headers duals exiting behind the drivers rear tire. i have another question. i want to use studs in the head to hold the manifold and headers but i want to know what size the studs need to be the length is what im after. thanks

If your replacing the two alining pegs with studs mine were 2" in length seemed to be about right..Vernski:lol:

Vernski 06-16-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6125925)
Thanks! To bad its not legal in these parts to run straight pipes!:whine:

They are just trying to protect you from yourself and others, even with cherry bombs or purple hornies you still need hearing protection if you are within fifteen feet [talk about headache]:crazy:Vernski

JR25 06-16-2013 02:16 PM

:ennyd:Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there!:ennyd:
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

TJ's Chevy 06-20-2013 06:59 PM

For those of you who are running Clifford headers. How did you take out the studs on the front and rear of the head. Having a heck of a time with mine. Thanks.:chevy:

Vernski 06-20-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY (Post 6133785)
For those of you who are running Clifford headers. How did you take out the studs on the front and rear of the head. Having a heck of a time with mine. Thanks.:chevy:

I used a pair of visegrips and heated it with a butane torch they came right out. My friend Bill welded a nut on the stud let it cool out and used a rattle gun they came out also good luck..Vernski:lol:

Twisted6 07-21-2013 08:04 PM

Do not over tighten the end studs Esp. the front. It can crack in the end when it bottoms out in the head. So just be sure to ad some thread sealer to the studs. And you will be fine. I to would like to know more on the EZ EFI
what CFM is it? and how is it working out.
Thanks

chevy_mike 07-21-2013 09:52 PM

Not in my truck but just rebuilt this for my '64 Chevy II wagon. 250ci, Clifford intake and headers, Holley 390cfm carb, HEI.

http://gallery.lisaandmike.org/album...a/PICT6451.jpg

http://gallery.lisaandmike.org/album...a/PICT6452.jpg

Vernski 07-21-2013 10:35 PM

[quote=chevy_mike;6183904]Not in my truck but just rebuilt this for my '64 Chevy II wagon. 250ci, Clifford intake and headers, Holley 390cfm carb, HEI.

What is the bio on the valve covers? That looks sharp on there..Vernski:metal:

TJ's Chevy 07-21-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted6 (Post 6183704)
Do not over tighten the end studs Esp. the front. It can crack in the end when it bottoms out in the head. So just be sure to ad some thread sealer to the studs. And you will be fine. I to would like to know more on the EZ EFI
what CFM is it? and how is it working out.
Thanks

Thanks for the info Larry. I've called you a couple of times before on technical info for my 292. Glad to know you have joined us.:chevy: