The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   69 GMC "Ol' Blue" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=339960)

mud.man.rj 06-10-2013 12:20 AM

Re: 69 GMC "Ol' Blue"

Yep did that before, had a hard time on my buddy's truck getting the last piece out. Then we changed his to 1 ton diff's too. Darn 38.5" Boggers.

americanmusc1e 06-13-2013 10:34 AM

Hey man I'm passing you up!!! on the axles anyway. I just finished totally rebuilding my '82 10b for the front of my '69. Hopefully yours isn't as bad as mine. I spent over $300 at the parts house on new all new spindle bearings/seals and u-joints.

mjensen 06-13-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by americanmusc1e (Post 6121481)
Hey man I'm passing you up!!! on the axles anyway. I just finished totally rebuilding my '82 10b for the front of my '69. Hopefully yours isn't as bad as mine. I spent over $300 at the parts house on new all new spindle bearings/seals and u-joints.

Ha! Well, when it comes to stuff like this I tend to over-analyze instead of just git'r'dun :lol: Did you replace the inner axle seals when you did yours? How about the pinion seal?

americanmusc1e 06-13-2013 12:22 PM

yes, and the pinion and carrier bearings. all that came in a kit with mine. That was an additional $50 to the $300 i spent on the spindle bearings, But I had to change out the gear ratio so it was an easy decision for me. My axle now has all new parts except for the ball joints. I'll probably regret that later, but I want to get it on the road and then I'll take it to the alignment shop and see exactly what it needs.

mjensen 06-13-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by americanmusc1e (Post 6121604)
yes, and the pinion and carrier bearings. all that came in a kit with mine. That was an additional $50 to the $300 i spent on the spindle bearings, But I had to change out the gear ratio so it was an easy decision for me. My axle now has all new parts except for the ball joints. I'll probably regret that later, but I want to get it on the road and then I'll take it to the alignment shop and see exactly what it needs.

So, when you did the pinion seal, you had to reset the gears (backlash and bearing preload) right? Was it difficult?

americanmusc1e 06-13-2013 12:33 PM

I installed new gears so yes I had to set up the backlash and gear pattern again. If You are just installing a pinion seal you can probably go buy some gear marking compound (or just use grease) and check the pattern before you pull anything loose. Then pull the pinion nut off and change the pinion seal. then put the nut back on and tighten it down and double check the pattern. As long as you don't crush the crush sleeve any more than it already is you should be fine and the pattern shouldn't change. And as long as you don't take the carrier out the backlash shouldn't change.

if the pattern does change you should pull the carrier out and MAKE SURE you keep the shims in order because they handle the backlash. and then get yourself an in-lb torque wrench and a new crush sleeve and set the pinion preload back to specs. I'm not 100% sure what that spec is though. I think mine is set around 15 in-lb.

EDIT: I should make it clear that the crush sleeve controls pinion bearing preload and it is very important that the pinion bearings dont' have any slack in them. The marking compound may not give you a good indication of this. The best way is to pull the carrier out and reset the bearing preload with a new crush sleeve and a in-lb torque wrench. BUT! this is a front axle and it does not move with the hubs unlocked. It really does not see near the mileage that a rear axle will see. you are probably fine with the method above.

mjensen 06-13-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by americanmusc1e (Post 6121619)
I installed new gears so yes I had to set up the backlash and gear pattern again. If You are just installing a pinion seal you can probably go buy some gear marking compound (or just use grease) and check the pattern before you pull anything loose. Then pull the pinion nut off and change the pinion seal. then put the nut back on and tighten it down and double check the pattern. As long as you don't crush the crush sleeve any more than it already is you should be fine and the pattern shouldn't change. And as long as you don't take the carrier out the backlash shouldn't change.

if the pattern does change you should pull the carrier out and MAKE SURE you keep the shims in order because they handle the backlash. and then get yourself an in-lb torque wrench and a new crush sleeve and set the pinion preload back to specs. I'm not 100% sure what that spec is though. I think mine is set around 15 in-lb.

Awesome! Thank you for letting me hammer you with questions when you just came to check in :lol:

americanmusc1e 06-13-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjensen (Post 6121624)
Awesome! Thank you for letting me hammer you with questions when you just came to check in :lol:

no problem! make sure that you read my edit that I just added to my previous post and check out the facebook link in my sig for some pictures of my front axle rebuilt. Someday I need to actually do a real build thread.

mjensen 06-13-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by americanmusc1e (Post 6121628)
no problem! make sure that you read my edit that I just added to my previous post and check out the facebook link in my sig for some pictures of my front axle rebuilt. Someday I need to actually do a real build thread.

I've actually been following your progress on FB, I'll have to look again at the axle rebuild stuff. Also, got the edit. Thank you again!

americanmusc1e 06-13-2013 12:45 PM

here are two very helpful links for working on a GM 8.5" front diff.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=536415&page=2
http://truckmodcentral.com/forums/f1...l-setup-11732/

mjensen 06-24-2013 10:49 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Well, it was an awesome day yesterday! I finally got the Extreme Chassis Black laid down! I still have to flip the frame and get the bottom, but I'm really pleased with how it turned out!

All scuffed up and ready to lay down
Attachment 1124671

Attachment 1124672

Attachment 1124673

Attachment 1124674

67cheby 06-24-2013 11:15 AM

looking good !

Dieselwrencher 06-24-2013 08:58 PM

Nice work!!!

mjensen 06-24-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 6140827)
Nice work!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 6139876)
looking good !

Thanks guys! I hope I don't screw it up when I flip it :lol:

americanmusc1e 06-24-2013 11:17 PM

That frame is lookin good!! Mine is going to have to settle for rattlecan rustoleum semi-gloss black and no frame flip lol.

How is your front axle coming along??

Also I just noticed on your passenger side front shackle hanger you have that same piece of plate welded across one shackle. I thought that wasn't factory and I cut it out because it wouldn't work with my 73-87 lift springs and now I see it on yours. I wonder what they needed that for.

mjensen 06-24-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by americanmusc1e (Post 6141083)
That frame is lookin good!! Mine is going to have to settle for rattlecan rustoleum semi-gloss black and no frame flip lol.

How is your front axle coming along??

Thanks! Had I not purchased the paint about a year ago, I would have probably gone that route as well.

I moved the front axle out of the way so I could paint. Does that count? :lol: I just pulled the trigger on seals, ball joints, U Joints, "new" left axle assembly and the Mile Marker hubs you suggested. Hopefully the parts will start showing up so I have something to do on it this weekend.

Mustard72 06-24-2013 11:47 PM

Gotta love a freshly painted frame. Why, I don't know, but they look sure look cool. Mine is Rust-O-Leum, too. Sprayed it on with a gun, but still Rust-O-Leum.

mjensen 06-25-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard72 (Post 6141145)
Gotta love a freshly painted frame. Why, I don't know, but they look sure look cool. Mine is Rust-O-Leum, too. Sprayed it on with a gun, but still Rust-O-Leum.

I do love the fresh paint! I wish I had a rotisserie so that I could have finished it over the weekend. Oh well, now I'm going to have to figure out how to make it look decent when I paint the bottom.

Nothing wrong with Rust-O-Leum. I chose the Extreme Chassis Black for a bit more durability (I hope ;))

rgunlock 06-25-2013 01:41 PM

Frame is looking really nice Mike. That is one of those really satisfying accomplishments that motivates you to keep moving because that part of the build looks so good!

mjensen 06-25-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 6141874)
Frame is looking really nice Mike. That is one of those really satisfying accomplishments that motivates you to keep moving because that part of the build looks so good!

Thanks Rick! Hopefully things can start moving with this build here shortly.

Mustard72 06-25-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 6141874)

Plus, you no longer have to work on rusty stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

mjensen 06-25-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard72 (Post 6142598)
Plus, you no longer have to work on rusty stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

Amen! I spent a couple hours tonight cleaning up the front axle. I'll be ready to paint both of them this weekend. I haven't decided if I'm going to use the chassis black, or just Duplicolor them. I guess I'll decide this weekend :lol:

mjensen 06-27-2013 12:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
So having the frame painted has given me a boost of motivation. I've spent the last few days ordering parts, and cleaning up the front axle. I still need to clean out the axle tubes, but I should have the underside of the frame and axles painted and ready to rock this weekend :metal:

Here's some pics for my documentation purposes.

Here's what started this whole mess

Attachment 1125799

Axle seals must have been leaking a little because the inside of the axle tubes were caked with an oily gritty mess! I'm really happy I decided to rip this down now. It would have been a biotch to do this when the truck is done...and I'm 90 :lol:

Attachment 1125800

Attachment 1125801

mjensen 06-29-2013 12:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
New parts started showing up!!!

Attachment 1126501

Attachment 1126502

BIG a$$ box for one item :lol:

Attachment 1126503

rgunlock 06-29-2013 08:35 AM

looks like a complimentary fridge magnet in the box so that's 2 items!