The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   CUSTOM CAMPERS lets see them! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=476940)

DeadheadNM 01-23-2021 09:53 AM

Re: CUSTOM CAMPERS lets see them!

1 Attachment(s)
Interesting about the Husky edition. Would like to learn more. Here’s a decal from a 72 Suburban indicating that GM began offering a “Trailering Special” package that I’d like to learn more about as well.

72c20customcamper 01-23-2021 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lil hoodlum (Post 8867805)
Any new additions?

I bought this 1968 C20 Custom Camper 50th about 4 months ago. She not much to look at as she has been lowered. Future plans are raise her back up to stock height and add some larger tires, after that put some miles on it.

Factory equipt with 327 and manual 4 speed with heavy duty leaf sprung rear end. 327 is gone and a 1972 350 resides in its place.

50th truck too. Nice truck

jocko 01-23-2021 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8868363)
Interesting about the Husky edition. Would like to learn more. Here’s a decal from a 72 Suburban indicating that GM began offering a “Trailering Special” package that I’d like to learn more about as well.

I'd love to learn a little more on this one too Pete - have never seen any Trailering Special references in the 67-72 era. In the square years, it was RPO Z82. Z83 was the Deluxe Camper Special, another new thing is square years, which added a few goodies on top of the Basic Camper Special package of Z81, that did exist in our era as everyone is familiar with. But the graphic sure looks original in that pic. Wonder if it started as a dealer thing that grew into an RPO in the square era..

68bowtie 01-23-2021 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8867932)
Been doing work on mine past 2 years also research on the truck couldnt find a paint number on the truck spid just shows the complex two tone found out it's a Husky edition . The Husky edition was a single Dealer promo truck as far as I can assertain several hundred were made. Truck was ordered from university chevrolet Seattle washington late 1971 Truck was painted placer gold GM car color from the factory .

Wow I had no idea. Special gold paint and husky edition. That’s pretty special!

DeadheadNM 01-23-2021 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 8868402)
I'd love to learn a little more on this one too Pete - have never seen any Trailering Special references in the 67-72 era. In the square years, it was RPO Z82. Z83 was the Deluxe Camper Special, another new thing is square years, which added a few goodies on top of the Basic Camper Special package of Z81, that did exist in our era as everyone is familiar with. But the graphic sure looks original in that pic. Wonder if it started as a dealer thing that grew into an RPO in the square era..

I dug briefly and unsuccessfully for any GM information re this package for the 72 model year. It seems that by 73 there was an organized Trailering Special package that could be had with emblems to boot. The decal here looked applied to original paint and use of the bowtie implies a GM sanctioned product I’d think. I’ll keep my ear to the ground for any related info.

Steeveedee 01-23-2021 12:52 PM

One could buy cars with a towing package. Two things I recall were a larger radiator and lower rear gears. I didn't pay much attention to the trucks in those days ('70-'72).

factorystock 01-23-2021 01:32 PM

Sure glad you had the build sheet for documentation, otherwise you would have the nay sayers chime in. Yes, there were always some dealer promotions available during these years (certain colors with certain options) but very hard to document these special builds with standard GM literature. GMC had a special promotion.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=gmc+contender

Bones72Super 01-23-2021 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had to go back through the thread to see if I had posted yet. There sure are a lot of awesome trucks in here! She's a little rough, 72 Cheyenne Super Custom Camper

72c20customcamper 01-23-2021 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by factorystock (Post 8868485)
Sure glad you had the build sheet for documentation, otherwise you would have the nay sayers chime in. Yes, there were always some dealer promotions available during these years (certain colors with certain options) but very hard to document these special builds with standard GM literature. GMC had a special promotion.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=gmc+contender

If this is for me ya its lucky I have it. CG turned me on to the Husky trucks remembered seeing them on the west coast years ago.

Thread on Husky trucks
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537169

rocketmench 02-21-2021 02:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi all, I was wondering if anybody could identify this slide-in camper we had when I was a boy. My dad used to take us everywhere in it.

The truck was a red 1968. I'm guessing the slide-in camper came with it as the color schemes match.

Our slide-in camper looks a lot like the Winnebago's from that period, I've attached a couple pictures I found online from 1969.

Rich72C10 02-22-2021 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones72Super (Post 8868503)
Had to go back through the thread to see if I had posted yet. There sure are a lot of awesome trucks in here! She's a little rough, 72 Cheyenne Super Custom Camper

"72 Cheyenne Super Custom Camper" that's a mouth full there! What's the SPID on this gal? That would be a cool truck to have!

Bones72Super 02-22-2021 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8883899)
"72 Cheyenne Super Custom Camper" that's a mouth full there! What's the SPID on this gal? That would be a cool truck to have!

Here ya go

Louisvillekytruck 09-08-2022 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones72Super (Post 8868503)

Nice truck would like to see more pics of it

special-K 09-10-2022 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8883899)

:lol: I used to feel that way describing the K/20 Cheyenne Super Custom Camper I had. Then I added a Custom Deluxe Highlander Custom Camper to my collection. Life is more simple now with the Sierra Custom Camper now :cool: