The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

67C10Step 03-29-2024 11:47 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

1 Attachment(s)
Hopefully in the short rows of a power steering install on my 67. Everything has gone about a smooth as expected to this point. Waiting on new hoses as the initial ones I purchased I did not like the way they fit.

It looks like the power steering box I installed is going to cut about one full steering wheel turn from lock to lock. I will have to learn how to drive the truck all over again.

pjmoreland 03-31-2024 01:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Installed this crossmember that moves the trailing arm attachment upward and provides more clearance for the driveshaft to be higher. This allowed me to raise the rear of my transmission to improve the u-joint angles.

'68OrangeSunshine 03-31-2024 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 9300504)
Installed this crossmember that moves the trailing arm attachment upward and provides more clearance for the driveshaft to be higher. This allowed me to raise the rear of my transmission to improve the u-joint angles.

I like your cross-over exhasust pipe.

pjmoreland 03-31-2024 02:05 AM

The guy who built my exhaust system just decided to do it that way. Not sure why.

'68OrangeSunshine 03-31-2024 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 9300507)
The guy who built my exhaust system just decided to do it that way. Not sure why.

Well, if you didn't know -- It's an old hot rodder's trick.
The pulses from one bank of cylinders cancel out the pulses from the other bank, resulting in less perceived noise to human ears.
[Dogs, not so much.]
Also helps scavenging to increase low end torque.

I have it on my '71 Jimmy. Crossover is behind the transfer case. Symetrical with a V8.
With an L6, cylinders 1-2-3 have the forward collector, and cylinders 4-5-6 have the aft collector. So the cross-over has to slant diagonaly to occlude each other's detonations. [So an ''N'' pipe instead of an ''H'' pipe.
My C/10 Stepside was set up in the '80s at Simmons' Engineering in Tucson. My project mechanic was an old country boy Circle Track hand. He knew a few old tricks as Chevy Sixes were preferred in that event due to their quicker hole shot response.

X-Pipes are supposed to have the same effect, but I think when they channel down into one double tube, they don't get the scavenging the two interconnected tubes get.
IDK. Probably a good topic for someone with a Dyno and no other obligations than to pursue automotive research.
:chevy:

CAMAROBOY68SS 03-31-2024 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice weather this weekend so yesterday finally got the C10 on the road to put some miles on the new 327 and 5 speed to fully shake it down. Stopped at a museum that had some planes parked outside for a picture.

PbFut 03-31-2024 12:29 PM

That's a nice pic. Reminds me of when I lived closer to Miramar. At that time a naval air station and home of Top Gun. (1980s) The Blue Angles came to town every year. What a show. It's all Maine now, but I think the Angles still do a show. If you have not seen a Blue Angle air show, it should be on your bucket list. TV does not do justice. Top fuel drag race and Blue Angles are must see live events.

CAMAROBOY68SS 03-31-2024 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PbFut (Post 9300617)
That's a nice pic. Reminds me of when I lived closer to Miramar. At that time a naval air station and home of Top Gun. (1980s) The Blue Angles came to town every year. What a show. It's all Maine now, but I think the Angles still do a show. If you have not seen a Blue Angle air show, it should be on your bucket list. TV does not do justice. Top fuel drag race and Blue Angles are must see live events.

Thanks, I grew up neat a small airport that would do the state air show every year and either the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds would come to town. The house we lived at was in the flight path for them so we would just get on the roof and watch them all day. Was always amazing, plus would then see all the older planes make laps.

Sheepdip 03-31-2024 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 9300507)

Otis is done that way, the truck had brand new Magnaflow's on it when I got it, but were way too loud and raspy for me, so my muffler man said this will tone it down, and it did...a lot. It makes the distinct left/right exhaust tones blend to a more pleasurable combined tone.

KQQL IT 03-31-2024 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1904 Qjet hopefully leaks less than the 45 yr old one before.

72c20customcamper 04-01-2024 07:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Already been told no “While it’s apart I might as well” :lol: cleaned the crude off the upper control arms truck has the original ball joints .

Rust_never_sleeps 04-02-2024 01:35 AM

Finally finished my speaker "enclosure" and bolted it to the dash

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 04-02-2024 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAMAROBOY68SS (Post 9300609)
Nice weather this weekend so yesterday finally got the C10 on the road to put some miles on the new 327 and 5 speed to fully shake it down. Stopped at a museum that had some planes parked outside for a picture.

That's one of the nicest trucks I've seen.

72c20customcamper 04-02-2024 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the engine out today

72c20customcamper 04-03-2024 04:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It’s a good thing that the engine leaked oil everywhere .

72c20customcamper 04-03-2024 04:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And the list gets longer by the day :lol:

72c20customcamper 04-03-2024 07:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Nothing like working on a west coast truck

pjmoreland 04-04-2024 01:24 AM

That is some clean sheet metal

Jiggers72-GMC 04-04-2024 08:55 AM

Nice work so far Mark, well done man
when I was cleaning my frame, I was always excited to see numbers ...........

72c20customcamper 04-05-2024 03:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Cleaned up the old block . 3500 psi hot water pressure washer

72c20customcamper 04-05-2024 08:02 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Frame came out real nice with the hat pressure washer . All the original brake lines look new . The pressure washer rental cost me $96 for the day I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Steeveedee 04-06-2024 11:59 AM

That came out nice, and you didn't even have to take the washer off the trailer. Mighty handy.

weq92f 04-06-2024 04:13 PM

Started prepping to replace the water pump today. Decided the radiator and fans needed to come out so I started draining it and unhooking lines and hoses. The goal was not to make a mess. With that in mind I decided to move the truck out of the shop onto the gravel to remove the radiator and pump, this way any coolant in the block could just run out there. OK! I hop in the cab and fire it up, pull it into reverse and didn't get that immediate thump into gear...it took me maybe a second to go from I'm gonna move this truck to engine OFF NOW!

...and so now I get to do exactly what I was trying to avoid, and then some!

-klb

72c20customcamper 04-06-2024 06:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just painted everything black since it’s a driver

67C10Step 04-06-2024 09:07 PM

Not on my truck, I just drove mine to my buddies. New power steering is working great and wish I’d done that swap sooner.
Helped my buddy get his radiator in, all hooked up, and filled. We then rebuilt the driveshaft with all new u joints and carrier bearing. Got right the point of ready to fire up and ran out of time. Ready for first start and break in after full rebuild.