The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Coil spring rear sway bar? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=47603)

phase_one 08-26-2003 01:10 PM

I just acquired a sway bar for the front of my 70 C10. Just the bar nor hardware for mounting. What will I need to mount the sway bar and any tips.

TERRYP 08-26-2003 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Think this is a helwig bar on my 68

Hardrock2 08-26-2003 10:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just pulled this rear bar out of a stack of bars that I had stashed back.
I slid under one of my old trucks, and did an "eyeball" fit.
It is nearly perfect for width and angle, but I'll need to loosen one trailing arm to get it past the crimps (lips)
Should mount just like the old Chevelles, with a little fab work.
As I recall, I think it was out of an '84 Cutlass with the handling package.
Please excuse the ratty looks, it was a "throw it under there and see if it looks close" type deal! LOL!
In the pic it's not as far forward as it would be when mounted correctly.

Any opinions?
Mike:bowtie:

Already Gone 07-17-2005 02:34 PM

Will This Work?

I installed a front 1 1/4 inch bar from a 79 Chev 3/4 ton 8400 GVW "Trailering Special" pickup on my 72 BB longbox . The sway bar made such a difference in my truck that I want to get a rear one now. After reading this thread I went to my local wrecker to find an IROC and get the rear bar. I didnt find any IROCS but as I was wandering the yard I started to think that maybe the truck I got the front bar off with the "Trailering Package" may have a rear bar. I found the truck again and looked under it and yes it does have a rear factory bar. What do you think guys, will this bar work on my 72 long box? The biggest difference is the leaf versus coil suspension. I think I will go and get it this week and if it wont work for me one of the guys with a 73/87 can probably use it.

llegos 09-05-2005 01:34 AM

anyone know if the iroc will work with a rear leaf system? i am with longhornman in that handling is the crap without a swaybar up front, so i figure if i get one, i might as well get the other too...

neonlarry 09-05-2005 05:04 PM

IIRC leafs mount on top of the axle. If this is correct its doubtful the camero bar would work, as you can see from the pics it mounts along the top of the axle. Your best bet might be to look for a 73 up with a trailering package in the wrecking yards, that would probably work better. ^ ask AlreadyGone if his worked.

llegos 09-25-2005 07:25 PM

i found out that GMCPauls sells a 7/8" rear bar for both coil and leafs in the rear

cornutz 09-25-2005 10:47 PM

Larry- what year iroc should I be lookin for at the bone yards? I like the idea a lot!!!

Thanks,

NutZ

neonlarry 09-26-2005 10:21 PM

I'm not up on exact years for genIII, but around 87-92.

jhow66 08-31-2006 11:33 AM

Re: Coil spring rear sway bar?

Installed these on mine-drives like a Vette now-bought the kit for front and rear:
http://www.classicperform.com/6092ch...%20Sway%20Bars

bryanw1968 08-31-2006 11:40 AM

On a rear wheel drive vehicle you want a bigger bar on the front and a smaller bar on the rear. This will prevent understeer. I have an 1 1/4" on the front and an 1" on the back. Love it! You don't really need one on the back but man did it tighten things up. Between the bars, fairly stiff gas shocks, decent tires and stiffer lowered springs this thing handles REALLY well.

Frizzle Fry 08-31-2006 05:38 PM

More pics and info here. I welded my brackets on. Handles like a go-kart comparatively. 1.25 front bar, stock late camaro rear (19 or 21mm still hacen't measured). You don't want too much bar in the back or it'll oversteer. I probably wouldn't put one in if you have a small front bar. Especially in a truck with less weight in the rear. Get a 1.25" front bar, then a rear bar.

7387chevys 12-25-2006 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neonlarry (Post 1394175)
IIRC leafs mount on top of the axle. If this is correct its doubtful the camero bar would work, as you can see from the pics it mounts along the top of the axle. Your best bet might be to look for a 73 up with a trailering package in the wrecking yards, that would probably work better. ^ ask AlreadyGone if his worked.

Would it work if it had a 6 inch rear drop by way of converting to spring under?
Thanks
Shane

gotchevys? 12-25-2006 06:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of my 1 1/8" rear sway bar from Classic Performance Productshttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=220390. It is a "bolt in" kit:crazy:. I had to fabricate mounting plates on the inside of the trailing arms in order to bolt this up. On the U-shaped bushing brackets when you would line up one hole the other would be in line with the center seam of the trailing arms. The instructions sucked. If you can get over the fact that you need to make mounts then once installed it works awsome.

poncho_villa 01-07-2007 02:05 PM

I have a '58 short fleetside on a '64 chassis and it didn't have bars when I bought it. It cornered like a slug. Got a pair of aftermarket just like the ones in the previous post. The handling difference was amazing. Corners like a slot car now. I fully recommend adding these to any truck with a steering wheel.