The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Body man head aches (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=345232)

jbristo67 05-25-2009 07:15 PM

Re: Body man head aches

Once painted I would have just over 3 grand in it if not 3500. That doesnt sound cheap to me

jbristo67 05-25-2009 07:19 PM

Matter of fact 2000 to be in primer seems kind of high in itself. This guy was only going to charge me 1700 TOTAL to change lower door skins, rockers and to put it in primer and he is one of the best in the country http://hillshotrods.com I wish I would have used him now I didnt because he has a really long wait
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/...eBodyPics1.jpg

rob32472 05-25-2009 07:19 PM

If it is an all over fully blown apart..... still cheap

jbristo67 05-25-2009 07:25 PM

I took it apart

rob32472 05-25-2009 07:28 PM

That truck looks amazing!!!! That is a show winner for sure completely redone and gone through I think you will agree that is not a 3000.00 dollar job. I am not trying to get into a pissing contest with ya all I am saying that most of the time we get what we pay for with that being said I have been in the same shape as you all too many times. That is why i decided to go the route i went with project cod fish. Good luck!

jbristo67 05-25-2009 07:32 PM

I think that one was 4500 or so and yeah it has been in alot of mags just like everything else Jason has done. My paint job is nothing special just solid red. You should check out his web site. Not bad for a guy that was painting john deere tractors ten years ago

jbristo67 05-25-2009 07:38 PM

Here is one he built for the editor of TURCKIN I dont even want to know what this one costhttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/...0_customfr.jpg

jbristo67 05-25-2009 07:45 PM

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/...evyBuild13.jpg One more

jbristo67 05-31-2009 01:02 AM

Got my truck back today and I honestly think it was better before I took it to him. I am going to have to take the whole thing back down to metal. Half of me wants to just push it out in a field and leave it. I am so discouraged

big mike71 05-31-2009 02:13 AM

Why don't just kick his a$$ and get some satisfaction.

big mike71 05-31-2009 02:23 AM

Hey 420am I know a good body and paint guy around K.C. pm me if you want some info. He'll cut you a deal if you say I sent you.

piecesparts 05-31-2009 10:11 AM

I believe that by Law, he can hold your vehicle for payment. Maybe Texas is a little further tout in the woods, than here in Kansas, but he has the control of your vehicle. You would have to fight it out in court. Did you have a written agreement on what he was to do and what it would cost. Then if he did not complete the desired agreement, you have a recourse to take.

It is imperative that you get to know your body guy first and deal with him openly, because for the most part, He CAN screw you in a heartbeat. I am happy to say that I know a couple of body shops and ga there a lot to keep up on their capabilities and stay in the "Know".

BHyatt 05-31-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbristo67 (Post 3326899)
Matter of fact 2000 to be in primer seems kind of high in itself. This guy was only going to charge me 1700 TOTAL to change lower door skins, rockers and to put it in primer and he is one of the best in the country http://hillshotrods.com I wish I would have used him now I didnt because he has a really long wait
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/...eBodyPics1.jpg

I just cannot resist.

If you took your 67 to this guy and it came back looking like this I would be a little PO'ed myself.

jbristo67 06-02-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHyatt (Post 3336110)
I just cannot resist.

If you took your 67 to this guy and it came back looking like this I would be a little PO'ed myself.

While I like solid colors Jason Hill could do what ever he wanted to my truck and I would be happy with it

jbristo67 06-04-2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big mike71 (Post 3335419)
Why don't just kick his a$$ and get some satisfaction.

Man I wanted to but I was just sick. I paid him 1300 to create more work for me. I am going to have to take it all back down

my67chevytruck 06-04-2009 06:17 PM

A contract protects both Parties. Take it back down, a reputable shop will not continue what someone else has done because they dont know what was done , or what products used. In painting all products should be of the same line, or proven compatible. I would just save up and take to Jason, or someone else you know that is reputable.

Good luck .

big mike71 06-04-2009 06:19 PM

That wouldn't work for me, I would theaten to go to court or to stand out in front of his shop and tell everybody how he ripped you off.

piecesparts 06-04-2009 06:59 PM

One gets what he pays for and if'n he gets hooked by a con man, then he desrves to get that same amount of satisfaction in any way he can.

mr48chev 06-04-2009 07:21 PM

Probably not so much a con man as it is another guy who has the cash up front from someone he feels he knows well enough to be able to sluff off.
I've seen it too many times over the years. "Ah, I'm giving him a deal so I don't have to get it done right away and I have the money already anyhow". I've even gone along and helped pull a couple of rigs out of shops for that same reason.

I'd say written contract up front on exactly what is to be done, the level it is to be done to and the stages that payment will be made. That meaning that after the work reaches a certain level of completion. (wish Opra had spell check) a set payment will be made.
That process is pretty much the norm for the guys I know who do custom body and paint work around here.

lyrikz 06-04-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbristo67 (Post 3324257)
He knows better then to try to do that. Not saying I am a bad a$$ or anything but he knows better. I havent been this mad in a long time. I told him today I dont want his money. I just want my truck back like we agreed to it. He has done more than 900 worth of work so I really have the upper hand. Sad thing about this whole deal is he is a hell of a body man.

Little contradiction in that statement... You said you had to call him not to half ass stuff? But he is a hell of a body man? Im assuming you just thought he was and he really isnt?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbristo67 (Post 3324464)
He was making excuses. He did even start on it until December and I dropped it off in July. Yeah all of this was agreed to in advance. I told him when I dropped it off I was in no real hurry for it but I had to have it by Jan. I was very clear about that. I had all his parts to him plus 500 before I ever took him the truck

This is the line that starts all the problems for people. Most body guys i know will take WAY more work then they can do... And they wont finish them in order. They finish them in whatever way they think they can get away with. Once you said your not in a hurry, it went to the bottom of the list and 12 other jobs came before yours.. You have to make sure that there is a sense of urgency even if there isnt.. Once they get that sense of urgency, yours stays on top ya know...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbristo67 (Post 3326870)
Nope this was just to put it into primer. I had it sand blasted bought all materials and parts. Truck didnt have a dent in it. He had to replace rockers and lower door skins. The 1400 was labor only and like I said the truck didnt have a dent in it

Im pretty sure the vehicle had some dents on it.. Come on... Be a little more honest with us here ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by big mike71 (Post 3343621)
That wouldn't work for me, I would theaten to go to court or to stand out in front of his shop and tell everybody how he ripped you off.

What the TS needs to do is just learn from this experience and DONT GIVE UP..... Find another body man, be very specific in what you want and when you want it and monitor him. Good luck and put up some pics if you could... I wanna see.

jbristo67 06-06-2009 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyrikz (Post 3343711)
Little contradiction in that statement... You said you had to call him not to half ass stuff? But he is a hell of a body man? Im assuming you just thought he was and he really isnt?

This is the line that starts all the problems for people. Most body guys i know will take WAY more work then they can do... And they wont finish them in order. They finish them in whatever way they think they can get away with. Once you said your not in a hurry, it went to the bottom of the list and 12 other jobs came before yours.. You have to make sure that there is a sense of urgency even if there isnt.. Once they get that sense of urgency, yours stays on top ya know...

Im pretty sure the vehicle had some dents on it.. Come on... Be a little more honest with us here ;)

What the TS needs to do is just learn from this experience and DONT GIVE UP..... Find another body man, be very specific in what you want and when you want it and monitor him. Good luck and put up some pics if you could... I wanna see.

I will go take some pictures tomorrow. She really is pretty straight. Aside from 3 or 4 dings there really are no dents. It looks like I am about to go back to work. When I do I am going to buy an 8 inch disc sander and remove the bed and take it all the way down to metal. Then I am going to take it to the guy from above's understudy and have him do my body work and paint it. I am done with this primer stuff. I am just going to take it to him piece by piece all the way down to metal and then I am going to bring it back and put it back together. It should be beautiful. I am starting to get a little bit of my drive back to work on it and that is good because I have alot to do.