The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=627134)

Advanced Design 05-11-2014 03:36 PM

Re: 48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait

3 Attachment(s)
We pulled the seats, running boards, fuel tank and steering column / box in preparation for lifting the body hopefully next week end. At some point after the 'Burb was painted purple, the third seat was in it as the mounting studs are still there, the wing nuts were laying on the carpet and seat rail impressions were noticable in the carpet. Guy I bought it from likely pulled the third seat before throwing the 'Burb on Ebay.

Found some rust at toe board to floor pan joint on left side after removing the screwed in patch panels. Again not too bad. The rockers and door bottoms are solid.....now where did I put that clutch head screw driver I made when building the truck...?

99 to Life 05-12-2014 01:49 PM

Im in on this, can't wait to get a burb. so so sick I just love em.

Advanced Design 05-12-2014 10:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
99 to Life...I agree, have wanted a 'Burb since before the SUV craze hit.

Rare Monday night in the shop. Removed the side glass and found rust through behind the pinch weld in three of window openings.....that Texas dust must have been built up there holding moisture.

The seats are in good shape....we may end up using them...at least until after the first long road trip.

99 to Life 05-12-2014 10:34 PM

your 48' is mad cool. those seats outta the burb look crisp. I don't know what I'd choose to buy or build first, a burb or COE, its neck and neck. Luv em both. I was planning on doing up my 53' belair for the fam cruiser, I think it would be much more wise to just do a burb!!

youngrodder 05-13-2014 09:41 AM

AD.. This must be a farily common area for rust. I had one window open each side rust simular to yours. I plan to run all three rows of stock seats. Mine came with the rare (missing) 3rd seat. The main reason for this build was to get the whole family down the road. There is only 4 of us but they leaves room to invite more to ride along. They may not be as comfy as newer seats but to me I just think they fit the look so much better.

Looking good
Marc

Advanced Design 05-13-2014 11:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks 99 To Life - Both are cool and choosing one is tough. I see fewer 'Burbs at events.

Marc - I wanted to build this one for a family cruiser too and I took so long getting to it the Grandsons will be going along. Daughter and her husband looked it over and are insisting on the original seats as they said (like you) they are cool and just look right. Nice score on having all three rows of seats.

Wife and I assembled the body cart tonight...will be handy. Soon I hope.

youngrodder 05-14-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 6672575)
Thanks 99 To Life - Both are cool and choosing one is tough. I see fewer 'Burbs at events.

Marc - I wanted to build this one for a family cruiser too and I took so long getting to it the Grandsons will be going along. Daughter and her husband looked it over and are insisting on the original seats as they said (like you) they are cool and just look right. Nice score on having all three rows of seats.

Wife and I assembled the body cart tonight...will be handy. Soon I hope.

The cart looks nice. I assume you bought it. If so, where did you pick it up at?
I need to buy/make something simular for mine.

Marc

Advanced Design 05-14-2014 11:42 AM

Marc,

Bought the cart from Autotwirler https://www.autotwirler.us/ made in Indiana. In fact, when I picked it up they needed to weld up a couple additional pieces and they were hot off the welding fixture.

Each body mounting point is adjustable left / right, up / down, and fore / aft. Initially bought it to support the '35 Chevy body due to its wood structure and it should work well for the 'Burb.

youngrodder 05-14-2014 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 6673152)
Marc,

Bought the cart from Autotwirler https://www.autotwirler.us/ made in Indiana. In fact, when I picked it up they needed to weld up a couple additional pieces and they were hot off the welding fixture.

Each body mounting point is adjustable left / right, up / down, and fore / aft. Initially bought it to support the '35 Chevy body due to its wood structure and it should work well for the 'Burb.

Cool thanks for the info. It looks like a nice cart. I have one that I might see about modifying to use for the Suburban first.

Marc

Iceburgh 05-14-2014 04:49 PM

My burb was rusted in the same area so I agree with Marc.
The cart is not a bad price if you use it again. I used one my FIL had and used 4x4 for mounting post

Advanced Design 05-17-2014 10:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Dozens of screws later the ugly headliner is out.
Found some raggedly cut access panels for the rear fender bolt nuts....needed since the captured nuts were rusted out.

Advanced Design 05-17-2014 10:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thirty five years ago I would work on my 1969 Mach 1 in this same spot on dirt using heavy wood blocks (same ones we used for holding up heavy equipment) for support stands.

Gotta say working this way is much nicer.

99 to Life 05-17-2014 10:27 PM

I luv it all, keep it coming

ChiefRocka 05-18-2014 01:26 AM

Great looking project man !!

I am working on a '52 and was wondering if you could give me dimensions of the drivers seat ??

youngrodder 05-18-2014 08:42 AM

good progress. Most of my rear fender bolts were broekn off. I had to drill and tap just about every one. I love your hoist...... quite envious.

Keep at it.

Marc

FarmerSid 05-18-2014 12:21 PM

I have a hoist too and it's a Gods send.

STOCKISH 05-18-2014 06:31 PM

Yeah, were not all as cool as you Sid! lol. Progress looks awesome!

Advanced Design 05-18-2014 08:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRocka (Post 6678170)
Great looking project man !!

I am working on a '52 and was wondering if you could give me dimensions of the drivers seat ??

John-
Hope these help - pics are a bit fuzzy. The overall width as shown for the driver (and middle passenger - people were smaller in 1948!) is @ 36" and the dimension across the seat track is @20" and height is about 4 1/2". And am sure you are aware there is a raised platform for the driver seat. If you need something more specific please let me know.

Advanced Design 05-18-2014 08:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Guys-
Really appreciate the words of encouragement. My closest car buddy lives over an hour away so we don't usually get much shop time together. Really good friend stopped by the shop Saturday (we use to build cars together 30+ years ago) and he doesn't get it anymore.

"What, you started on another one?" "What color are you going to paint it?" "Whadd'ya mean you might just drive it like this?" Blank blink blink stare...

Anyway the lift is great and was a 50th birthday present from the wife....wish it would have been a 40th. Always knew a lift would make things easier and until this one came along I didn't really understand until I experienced it myself.

Didn't want to leave the 'Burb dangling all week so we placed it on the body cart. The cart would be overkill for one project and since I have more vehicles on the list it is worth it. Will be real useful to drop the two front mounts, slide the cross member back and support at the rockers while I replace the rusty front metal.

Grandsons were helping today.

Advanced Design 05-18-2014 08:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Tucked the 'Burb body back in the corner and moved the frame in place to remove the body mount and running board brackets for installation on the new frame.

oldman3 05-18-2014 11:41 PM

Little guy in the green hoodie " Crap, even with these glasses I can't read the size".:lol::devil: When your old like me you catch these little items and think of yourself...Jim

ChiefRocka 05-18-2014 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 6679041)
John-
Hope these help - pics are a bit fuzzy. The overall width as shown for the driver (and middle passenger - people were smaller in 1948!) is @ 36" and the dimension across the seat track is @20" and height is about 4 1/2". And am sure you are aware there is a raised platform for the driver seat. If you need something more specific please let me know.

Great, thank you much !!

My buddy has the 52 GMC, and I have a 62 GMC

His came without seats, so he is on the hunt !!

79azc10 05-19-2014 01:40 AM

Wow looks nice so far , I love the look at the truck as well

Advanced Design 05-24-2014 08:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRocka (Post 6679355)
Great, thank you much !!

My buddy has the 52 GMC, and I have a 62 GMC

His came without seats, so he is on the hunt !!

John - I have more pic's with dimensions for you. Please PM me and I will send them over full size for better resolution.

No Burb work was accomplished today other than moving the frame back off the lift to use it for the 56 Chevy. Wrapping up a pesky fuel leak and a few other minor items for the HRPT.

Advanced Design 05-30-2014 08:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We had zero time in the shop this week and I was able to pick up some rust free front fenders, left inner fender well, radiator support and latch panel.

The fenders on the 'Burb were really solid and the right one was pretty bent up. The left one is good. Seller would only let these go as a set...I couldn't resist since rust free is hard to find here in the rust belt. Just buying them was much quicker than the truck build when I spent months looking for nice ones.

Green doesn't really match the faded purple...and if we don't paint the Burb we are building something cool and different or ugly and different. Probably more ugly and different.

Plan to get back on the frame tomorrow.