The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   how about some pics of inline 6 engines (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=471078)

pat 70/71 07-04-2011 07:44 PM

Re: how about some pics of inline 6 engines

I've got two! one original and one with only 60k on the clock and I love them period! great motors, have 2 v8s 2 six sillys the silly that has 60k on it I got it just for time it took to pull it! I love em because their so simple! cheers, Pat

68 IRON 07-04-2011 10:06 PM

Nice build Shaky! It will still be running 40+ years from now!!!! Don't they look great all dolled up....for show or go?!?

Shaky 07-05-2011 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 IRON (Post 4771878)
Nice build Shaky! It will still be running 40+ years from now!!!! Don't they look great all dolled up....for show or go?!?

That's the idea - to have it purr and run it for a long time. It's going in my '66 C10 with a Richmond 5-speed and 3.07 rear. Lots of cruising.

Just to finish off what the shop did: Comp Cams cam (1 level up from stock but still torquey), one-piece hardened push rods, Comp Cams (thicker) rocker arms, metal timing gear set, Sealed Power pistons, positive valve seals, and new everything else. They also cut the all the sealing surfaces between the head and the manifolds.

I just started putting the manifolds on, the fuel pump, water pump, etc. this past weekend. I'll get a pic soon, In the meantime, here it is after paint:

Shaky 07-19-2011 06:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got it built-up some more. There's always some little thing that holds you up. I need to get a speedi-sleeve for the balancer before I go further.

(The water neck is on backward so I remember to put some coolant in the block before starting it)

redmonster 07-19-2011 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is what mine looks like currently:devil:

redmonster 07-19-2011 07:25 PM

now that we on the topic can someone tell me how to fix the scream which my belt produces

68 IRON 07-19-2011 09:28 PM

Shaky, what did you use to paint the manifolds? And is that a script chevrolet I see on the valve cover? I need one of those!

Redmonster....lose some weight.:lol: Just kiddin' could be 3 things 1) loose- not tensioned properly 2) worn out or 3) routing - not touching at high enough angle to really grab the belt (not as common). Give us a pic of the belt and pulleys. And when it screams at you...start up, only whens its cold, turning hard...? Others will chime in and give their advice.

Shaky 07-20-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 IRON (Post 4799954)
Shaky, what did you use to paint the manifolds? And is that a script chevrolet I see on the valve cover? I need one of those!

I used the Eastwood high temp stuff. My buddy had good luck with it on his (yuck) Jaguar manifold, and the guys at the machine shop said to use it. We'll see.

I don't know what years the script came on those valve covers, but I scored one off my buddy years ago and like the way it looks.

VWNate1 02-18-2012 11:11 AM

Re : Pix Of InLine 6 Bangers

GREAT THREAD ! . a buddy just hipped me to this as my poor old survivor '69 C/10 was FU-BAR under the hood thanx to some bubba idiots in TEXAS , I've been chasing down the little bits 'n bobs that make it run ' Just So ' and also make the old die hard 6 Banger guys like me , smile .

I'll see about getting some pix up here soon .

oldgold70c10 02-18-2012 01:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Does this count? 1968 250 out of a truck. Haven't decided what to put it in yet. Would like it to go in a 49 Chevy Fleetline, but may go in a truck.

Jimbabwe 02-18-2012 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine.

54blackhornet 02-18-2012 03:56 PM

Have any of you guy's installed a clutch fan on a 292 ? if so what brand, someone told me it would cut down on the noise the standard fan makes when you are running down the road at speed. Also looking to install a fan shroud for a 292 but have never been able to locate on....thanks for any help...:gmc2:

Achevytruck 02-18-2012 05:04 PM

Great looking pictures ever one and how hard would it to be to find the power brake sep up and the inline six air cleaner

Jimbabwe 02-18-2012 08:05 PM

Does anyone have any info regarding the (I'm guessing) air pump thing in my picture in post #36 ?(two back) I never see this on any other straight sixes.

I was wondering where I could put a power steering pump, having this pump up top and the alternator below. A friend says I should leave it on because it's cool because you never see them, and the motor runs well with it on there, so...

blkcorvair 02-18-2012 10:11 PM

Heres mine before I started putting the body on.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...-32-46_603.jpg

VWNate1 02-19-2012 12:38 AM

Re : Power Brakes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Achevytruck (Post 5196668)
Great looking pictures ever one and how hard would it to be to find the power brake sep up and the inline six air cleaner

Easy to find used in junkyards , I bought a new one complete from Rock Auto for less than $200 delivered to my door , power brake can with bracket , master cylinder and proprtioning valve , the whole enchilada .

The air filter can is out there , there are several different ones , I have a few spares when my truck is finished I'll sell them .

VWNate1 02-19-2012 12:43 AM

Re : Air Injection Pump

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbabwe (Post 5196920)
Does anyone have any info regarding the (I'm guessing) air pump thing in my picture in post #36 ?(two back) I never see this on any other straight sixes.

I was wondering where I could put a power steering pump, having this pump up top and the alternator below. A friend says I should leave it on because it's cool because you never see them, and the motor runs well with it on there, so...

It is the "Air Injection Reactor " system that pumps fresh air into the exhaust ports where any unburned fuel *instantly* burns , reducing exhaust emissions.

It's a simple basic system that works BUT , the cold air blowing against the back of the red hot exhaust valves , sometimes causes them to warp .

You are correct , it's getting hard to find the entire system anymore and it's fairly simple to disable the air blowing so it just looks neat , I'm searching for all the various parts now as I'd like to replace it in my '69 C/10's 250.....

'68OrangeSunshine 02-19-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54blackhornet (Post 5196568)
Have any of you guy's installed a clutch fan on a 292 ? if so what brand, someone told me it would cut down on the noise the standard fan makes when you are running down the road at speed. Also looking to install a fan shroud for a 292 but have never been able to locate on....thanks for any help...:gmc2:

As far as I know, "there ain't no such animule" as a fan shroud for the L6 engines. They all had "Finger Guards" which is a piece of bent sheet metal that bolts onto the radiator support and extends down about 6" over the fan to keep all but the most dedicated idiot from losing his fingers.
This is not to say a fibreglas/plastic fan shroud from an SBC set up wouldn't fit in that spot.
As far as the clutch fan idea, it might work out OK. I've been using a FlexFan on my 292 since 1977 and have not had a problem yet. [And I live in Ariz.]

VWNate1 02-19-2012 11:41 AM

Re : Topic Drift : Fan Efficiency

You needn't run any fan clutch , just be sure to shim the fan so it's 1" from the radiator core to ensure it's drawing air through the radiator at low speeds or when idling in traffic .

Lucky for us , the fan spacers are standard bolt spacing so they're available cheaply new or nearly free in junkyards .

These thin wall L6 engines really don't ever have overheating problems unless something is seriously amiss , ignition timing far off or rust & scale clogging the radiator tubes or silt in the water jacket from long disuse ~ cleaning is dead simple : use Citric Acid powder mixed one pound per gallon of distilled water and drive it to work and back for a day , the amount of crud that comes out when you flush this will amaze you . far better than any flushing stuff in a can from your FLAPS and cheaper too .

Flex fans are very nice as they not only give back a tiny bit of power but they're also very quiet .

For hard working Desert rigs , delete the fan and replace it with an electric fan , use a relay and temp switch in the thermostat housing , wire it live so it can switch on and prevent heat soak .

Jimbabwe 02-19-2012 02:22 PM

Re: Re : Air Injection Pump

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 5197584)
It is the "Air Injection Reactor " system that pumps fresh air into the exhaust ports where any unburned fuel *instantly* burns , reducing exhaust emissions.

It's a simple basic system that works BUT , the cold air blowing against the back of the red hot exhaust valves , sometimes causes them to warp .

You are correct , it's getting hard to find the entire system anymore and it's fairly simple to disable the air blowing so it just looks neat , I'm searching for all the various parts now as I'd like to replace it in my '69 C/10's 250.....

Thanks! Good to know about the warpage issue. Maybe I'll go ahead and disable it. Good luck with your search. I'll keep my eyes open for you.

VWNate1 02-19-2012 03:22 PM

Re : AIR System

All you have to do to disable it , is remove the drive belt , as it drives nothing else , no harm no foul .

If I re install it to my '69 , I'll want the belt in place and so will block the air flow .

'

Achevytruck 02-19-2012 04:03 PM

Ever one really good info and i did find a chevy inline six eng fan shroud for a good deal and far as the power brake set up and air cleaner for it i keep looking i guest

54blackhornet 02-19-2012 04:35 PM

Thanks for the Fan info, have seen 6cyl shrouds ! If you install an electric fan do you mount it in front or back of rad for best air flow ?

VWNate1 02-19-2012 07:06 PM

Re : E fans

O.K. , get ready , here's comes the firestorm from folks who failed 7th Grade Physics .

It makes NO DIFFERENCE pusher or puller ! .

As long as it's moving air through the core , it works .

There's a lot of mumbo-jumbo out there pushed by folks who either want to sell you something expen$ive or want to feel good about having paid WAAYYYY too much $ .

Look at it this way : if it made any difference , would manufacturers ever use one over the other ? of course not , that's why million dollar Ferraris , Lambos and so on , all use pusher fans , your (yawn) belly-button SBC will love the E-Fan better than any mechanical fan , mount it wherever you please .

I don't like looking at them so I tend to mount them pusher style .

Flame Suit on , have at it guys :lol: .

'68OrangeSunshine 02-20-2012 10:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey! It occurred to me that I never did post any pix of my L6 292, So here goes: