The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Short Bed VS Long Bed Fleet Value (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=316063)

glock35ipsc 11-24-2008 04:09 PM

Re: Short Bed VS Long Bed Fleet Value

No, not really. I just like reading my own posts! :haha:

Haha, I guess I can't be of any help, because there are sooooooo many variables that I can not see a single correct answer to your question of "All things held equally ....... what are the price value differences?" since Kelley Blue Book and NADA don't care about much us.

big_al_71 11-24-2008 04:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I would say that in my part of the country a SWB is worth a hell of alot more than a long bed.
Two trucks exactly alike the only difference is just the bed size , the short bed will always be more popular which in turn will sell quicker, which will get you the most $$$$$.
As far as budget when I rebuilt my truck I set a budget on my mind to how much I was going to spend and guess what I went over budget which my budget was 10k without counting the truck and just in my motor alone I spent way more but who is counting. I built it because I always wanted one I could had bought a 30k dollar one but it was someone elses vision and work not mine, I know what went into mine and I am very proud of what we accomplished and I find that more rewarding.

GMC71V8 11-24-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_al_71 (Post 2990274)
I would say that in my part of the country a SWB is worth a hell of alot more than a long bed.
Two trucks exactly alike the only difference is just the bed size , the short bed will always be more popular which in turn will sell quicker, which will get you the most $$$$$.
As far as budget when I rebuilt my truck I set a budget on my mind to how much I was going to spend and guess what I went over budget which my budget was 10k without counting the truck and just in my motor alone I spent way more but who is counting. I built it because I always wanted one I could had bought a 30k dollar one but it was someone elses vision and work not mine, I know what went into mine and I am very proud of what we accomplished and I find that more rewarding.

I just moved from Hollywood, Florida! It is hard to find a truck that is not all rotted out in Florida.....that is for sure! Yours looks awesome!

big_al_71 11-24-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMC71V8 (Post 2990280)
I just moved from Hollywood, Florida! It is hard to find a truck that is not all rotted out in Florida.....that is for sure! Yours looks awesome!

My truck came from Tennesse and it had rust on the passenger side inner fender under the battery and the radiator support on the same side, I replaced both pieces...
You can find very nice trucks or car here in flroida rust free I have had several.
Where is your 71?
Is it still here in Hollywood?

Ilike 72"s 11-24-2008 05:15 PM

I have several of both long and short bed pickups. Two wheel and 4 wheel. I value my short boxes more. The two same pickups , one long, one short in my area would differ by $2000 if they were in the 5000 to 10000 range. Hands down the shortbox will pull more money. There are many long driver pickups in the 1500 to 3500 price range, but you cant find a shortbox in that price range that would comparable.If I hade to make a choice between them, even if the long box had more options, I would be willing to pay up to 2000 more for the shortbox. Dennis

GMC71V8 11-24-2008 05:15 PM

No in my parents garage in Satellite Beach....about 2 1/2 hours north.

Only been sitting there for the better part of a decade!

19673ontree 11-24-2008 06:08 PM

A lot of disscusion here , well here is my 2c's , long bed truck's are in the same catagory as 4 door car's they are what what someone will take when they can't find anything else , lot's of people have really nice longbed truck's , but it is a known fact a shortbed is worth more ,,

67_C-30 11-24-2008 06:46 PM

I won't dance around the question. All things being equal, a SWB truck is worth WAY more than LWB in the exact condition. I saw one of Jerry Brown's trucks this weekend, and it was the finest example of a 67-72 I've ever seen. It was being sold for $69,500. A LWB in that condition would not be close. There have been other trucks on Ebay that sold in the $50,000 - $60,000 range over the last 2 years, and you know how long the bed was on those without me saying it.

NOW, with all that being said, there are some people who say they prefer LWB trucks. Some people love the long 'n low look, and you can't get low 'n low without long. There's also people out there who say they prefer the taste of Diet Coke, and well, I don't understand them either!!!:devil: ***:exit:runs from the LWB crowd yielding flaming torches led by 70cst!;)***

The problem is that the vast majority prefers the SWB, and if you majored in economics, I don't have to tell you the benefit of 80-85% more people preferring the SWB in terms of value. That's simple economics!;)

2bits 11-24-2008 08:02 PM

I know you aren't looking to buy and sell, but since that was the scope of the post, if you buy a longbed for $500 and sell for $1000, or you buy a shortbed for $700 and sell for $1200, you still made $500 either way so don't sweat it and just find one you like that feels good to you.

70cst 11-24-2008 09:19 PM

Geeeeeeeeee...the more I read the more confused I'm getting. :confused::confused::confused: To be fully honest and don't tell no one...If I could have a choice of my 70cst in a swb or lwb...Heck yes I would take a swb...be that as it is...I found my 70cst in Tn. It was a LWB fully loaded BB cst for about $2300....and to me $$$ talks. But as all have said...do what makes you happy. Like some have said...Some like diet coke (me-I now like LWB trucks) while others like classic coke. There are no wrong answers. Ok I'll say it....LWB are good for the "LONG" haul while the SWB trucks always come up "SHORT" :haha::haha: Sorry...I couldn't help myself. Forgive me guys! :lol:

Richard8971 11-24-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70cst (Post 2990774)
Geeeeeeeeee...the more I read the more confused I'm getting. :confused::confused::confused: To be fully honest and don't tell know one...If I could have a choice of my 70cst in a swb or lwb...Heck yes I would take a swb...be that as it is...I found my Tn. fully loaded BB cst for about $2300....and to me $$$ talks. But as all have said...do what makes you happy. Like some have said...Some like diet coke (me) while others like classic coke. There are no wrong answers. Ok I'll say it....LWB are good for the "LONG" haul while the SWB trucks always come up "SHORT" :haha::haha: Sorry...I couldn't help myself. Forgive me guys! :lol:

Man after reading that... now I'm confused!!!

D

low'n slow 11-25-2008 12:13 AM

I think it all comes down to what you like. I would pay more for for a SWB that was equal in quality and options to a LWB. I own both styles. My advice is to buy the truck in the best condition you can afford. You can make it a short bed or a long bed, fleet or step, 2X4 or 4X4. The list is endless. Time or money (usually both) are your only limitations.

mr48chev 11-25-2008 01:25 AM

Traditionally I think short bed trucks do command a higher price than equal long bed trucks but with fully restored to show room original trucks I think the spread is narrowing. In this area there are still a good number of longbed trucks that are pretty nice in daily use.
I doubt seriously that very many of the guys who frequent this board who are serious truck guys really ever give much thought as to the resale value of their efforts unless it comes up when they are calculating insurance values. That doesn't mean that we don't seek out the best deals on quality parts and do serious price shopping. It's that we just don't sit down at the outset and tell ourselves that we have to stay within certain guidelines because if we don't we won't be able to make a profit if we resell it.
Most often the reason that guys here sell their trucks is to finance the next project planning on making it just a bit better than the last project but I doubt that many of them have shown a serous profit or made day wages for their labor in the project. It is after all our hobby and the driving passion for many of the group. At my age I'm no way near as obsessed with cars and trucks as I was 30 years ago when I would put in 30 or 40 hours a week working on the truck after work and on weekends every week.

chevy29267truck 11-25-2008 01:52 AM

ok first is this going to be a show truck or one you drive on a sat or sunday or what but fleetside is better than stepside if you not needing much room than short bed well if you need room than long bed i will say a longhorn is hard too find for the bed but if you have a long wheel base truck 127 wheel base a longhorn truck is a 133 inch wheel base truck you would have too add six inch too the back of the frame on each side in the back of the frame

chevy29267truck 11-25-2008 01:54 AM

oh also chevy also had a 157 inch wheel base too you can also put on a low flat bed too

Old Chevy Mech 11-25-2008 07:48 AM

The value to me would vary as others have said. I personally look at it and figure; what would it cost me to replace it as close as possible. As far as the difference I have noticed short beds seem more popular/sought after for dropping/modding, etc. Just my observations.

Frank

weasel29gm 11-25-2008 08:29 PM

Around here shorts are scarce, longs are also. Theres not 15-20 in 25 miles of me, that I know of. A clean original is unheard of. Except for a few. I'd say shorts bring more, but a sharp long is a good value. Depends on the look they present.

jessemthompson 02-20-2017 10:14 AM

There is no straight up value between a short and a long bed. I prefer short bed, the next guy may prefer a long bed. It's all in the buyer and what they're willing to pay. You could dump a 100 grand into either truck, but is it worth a 100 grand if no one will buy it. This is all subjective.

hamjet 02-20-2017 01:21 PM

What an old thread, I'll take the long horn.......LOL

Bigdav160 02-20-2017 01:33 PM

A short bed might have more value but I'd rather drive a long bed. They just ride better.

oops. Caught me not looking at the date.

leddzepp 02-20-2017 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamjet (Post 7864285)
What an old thread, I'll take the long horn.......LOL

An old thread but still a dead horse :rolleyes:

cericd 02-20-2017 02:09 PM

If trends keep up the way they are going there will only be original short beds and short beds that were once long beds. Also, they'll all be fleet sides. :lol:

BossHogg69 02-20-2017 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 7864303)
An old thread but still a dead horse :rolleyes:

wait...!