The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Shop improvements and upgrades. Better Space! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=760563)

nlped 04-02-2018 04:19 PM

Re: Shop improvements and upgrades. Better Space!

Nice!!! Good thing you caught this before it got much worse. That could have been catastrophic.

Advanced Design 04-02-2018 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While it took 50 years for this corrosion to occur, I don’t want it happening again. We will fix the grading outside to better drain the water away. Also, we will replace the lower metal around the building, sealing around the post concrete piling to keep all water away.

Advanced Design 04-02-2018 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We use to do all this work ourselves. Now days we call in help from the local welding shop.

Advanced Design 04-02-2018 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 8228256)
Nice!!! Good thing you caught this before it got much worse. That could have been catastrophic.

Yes! I was suspicious there might be a possible issue. The North side of the building used to have oil field pipe racks outside, was covered with metal and stayed damp most of the time. Fortunately, the pipes on the east and south walls are fine.

Next up...dirt work for concrete.

mongocanfly 04-02-2018 04:47 PM

good you caught it before sumpin bad happened....

nlped 04-02-2018 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 8228264)
Next up...dirt work for concrete.

Woo Hoo!!! Love concrete.

wahl4m 04-03-2018 12:18 AM

doug - its nice to live in "oil well" country ! the locals have the knowledge & talent to fix anything right !!!! keep up the pics ! it looks like one of my bldgs . put some insulation & big rod under that new floor ! we just did a big bldg at jrs shop with spray on foam & 30" of attic insulation ! BOY did it make a heat & sound differance!!!!!!!!!!!!!now we got to finish sheetrock & move everything back to the walls ! i feel for you -its a lot of work -probably go to menards & buy several of the narrower -front to back pallet -racks -that way -you cannot bury the stuff placed on the shelves ?? if i was closer -id come & help for a day or so ! anyway it looks good -keep pics rolling in see ya ! big mike

Advanced Design 04-03-2018 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8228280)
good you caught it before sumpin bad happened....

Oh for sure!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 8228562)
Woo Hoo!!! Love concrete.

Me too! Makes for exciting improvements. And I’ve wanted to do this since we bought the building. Some things just take time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wahl4m (Post 8228662)
doug - its nice to live in "oil well" country ! the locals have the knowledge & talent to fix anything right !!!! keep up the pics ! it looks like one of my bldgs . put some insulation & big rod under that new floor ! we just did a big bldg at jrs shop with spray on foam & 30" of attic insulation ! BOY did it make a heat & sound differance!!!!!!!!!!!!!now we got to finish sheetrock & move everything back to the walls ! i feel for you -its a lot of work -probably go to menards & buy several of the narrower -front to back pallet -racks -that way -you cannot bury the stuff placed on the shelves ?? if i was closer -id come & help for a day or so ! anyway it looks good -keep pics rolling in see ya ! big mike

Thanks Mike. Good ideas! Right now I am not planning for insulation as I think I have plenty of heated space. Never enough storage racks though....

Advanced Design 04-03-2018 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The concrete guys have some good equipment. Very nice Cat skid steer...

Advanced Design 04-03-2018 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They moved a lot of dirt very quickly, using a laser level for grade.

Advanced Design 04-03-2018 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We keep a dirt pile a few yards behind the shop, so the removed dirt was added to that pile.

Advanced Design 04-03-2018 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Once dug down to the needed level for 6” of concrete, they laid in plastic underlayment, reinforcing wire and grade stakes.

Advanced Design 04-03-2018 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They moved pretty quickly getting this done.

Advanced Design 04-03-2018 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They also drilled into the existing concrete for rebar connectors.

nlped 04-04-2018 04:37 PM

^^^Phenomenal!!!

mongocanfly 04-04-2018 10:05 PM

that's gonna be sweet when you get done....

richard2717 04-05-2018 07:07 AM

Lot a concrete.....what about 50 yards? looks like what i was looking at when pouring mine back in the late 90's and I still cringe over the bill back then. Could not imagine doing it again today.......but.... nothing like working on concrete vs dirt. Very nice shop you have there

Advanced Design 04-05-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 8230008)
^^^Phenomenal!!!

Yeah, it does look like they were doing a good job!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8230263)
that's gonna be sweet when you get done....

Way nicer than dirt for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard2717 (Post 8230453)
Lot a concrete.....what about 50 yards? looks like what i was looking at when pouring mine back in the late 90's and I still cringe over the bill back then. Could not imagine doing it again today.......but.... nothing like working on concrete vs dirt. Very nice shop you have there

Very close Richard, 59.45 yards calculated. I think the concrete will open up lots of possibilities when working on stuff. Sure make it easier to store things as well. And thanks for your kind words.

Advanced Design 04-05-2018 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So a pretty big crew showed up early for the concrete pouring the next morning. Concrete trucks started showing up at 7:30.

One thing I did notice about this company were their trailers. Every truck seemed to be pulling a trailer loaded with equipment for this job and others. They were all Imperial trailers that I was showing here...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=756861

Advanced Design 04-05-2018 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When you’ve been waiting and planning for 21 years to put concrete in the back half of the shop, you get pretty pumped when you see this....

Advanced Design 04-05-2018 08:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These guys were fast as they put down 6 truck loads by 9:00 AM.

Advanced Design 04-05-2018 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last truck coming in.

Advanced Design 04-05-2018 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It was at this point the neighbors dog kept making a beeline for the shop. He never takes an interest any other time.

Advanced Design 04-05-2018 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We were able to keep the dog out.

With all the rain and cooler temp’s, the concrete was very slow curing out. We ended up closing the doors to the outside, sliding open the big internal door and cranked the heat up in the shop.

That, coupled with two heaters the crew brought in helped. Even so, two workers were here until 1:00AM to power trowel it out properly.

Advanced Design 04-05-2018 08:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It had been raining so much I found this guy looking for drier ground by the lift in the shop.