The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How to: Cargo light in a non cargo cab by LFD Inc. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=202391)

samkost 10-18-2016 05:21 PM

Re: How to: Cargo light in a non cargo cab by LFD Inc.

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Longhorn Man;1729137]You mentioned mounting screws... don't forget you need the special rubber encapsulated nuts to prevent from grounding the light body. If you don't take steps to prevent the ground, your cargo light will stay on at 1/2 power or so.

There are two metal spacers I have seen for mounting between the inner and outer cab sheet metal? Is this correct?
Can someone chime in on these two spacers.
I am guessing they offer some stability for mounting?
Thanks,
Sam

kehstr 10-24-2016 11:06 PM

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the dome light?

Grumpy old man 08-25-2018 08:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I stumbled back on this thread . Here is a look at the cargo light added to a 67, I added 8-8mm red leds for the 3rd brake light function . :chevy:

Edmond 08-25-2018 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8329847)
I stumbled back on this thread . Here is a look at the cargo light added to a 67, I added 8-8mm red leds for the 3rd brake light function . :chevy:

Now that looks awesome.
How did you connected it, to the break switch directly?

Cya,
Edmond

RCbowtie69 08-25-2018 07:39 PM

Cool!!!!! love the detail & pictures.It's going to help me with my cargo light.Thanks & keep on truckin'' :cool:

lsversaw 12-16-2018 07:49 AM

Like Samkost, I'm wondering where the 2 metal sleeves go. Do they go
over the rubber nut "shaft", after pushing the rubber nut shafts through the holes from behind the outer sheet metal? Seems logical, but I ended up with metal sleeves with ID smaller than the diameter of the rubber nut shaft. I can drill out the metal sleeves, but first I would like to know if I'm on the right track.

Thanks.

Grumpy old man 12-16-2018 08:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The rubber compression nuts go in from the outside .just push them in the holes on the truck ,the spacers go over the mounting screws before being inserted into the rubber nuts . they provide support as you tighten the screws the rubber compression nuts expand behind the metal to hold it all in place yet remain isolated . this pic shows the mounting screw without the spacer in place . the spacers hold pressure on the rubber nuts while your screwing them in which helps the rubber compression nuts to expand behind the panel . Without them the rubber compression nuts won't tighten and just pull out of the holes . If you need more pics let me know .

lsversaw 12-16-2018 09:28 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, Grump. You're the best.

LockDoc 12-16-2018 03:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lsversaw (Post 8406367)
Thanks for the quick reply, Grump. You're the best.

The rubber/brass nuts are called "Well nuts" You can get them at the better hardware stores. I got some at my local Ace Hardware.... Fastenal has them too.

LockDoc

Grumpy old man 12-06-2020 10:23 AM

Bringing some good threads back up :chevy:

Killer Bee 12-06-2020 01:28 PM

thank you Mr. Grumpy, I needed this!

Andy4639 12-06-2020 04:27 PM

Here is my install thread for 3 brake light install.:chevy:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=796782