The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Wheel Vintiques fitment (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=737783)

Axle 08-23-2020 11:10 AM

Re: Wheel Vintiques fitment

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8796395)
Van Ralleys are 6.5".

Thanks for catching that. corrected.

Alex.

Robzkombi 08-27-2020 08:46 PM

Quick update, went ahead and cancelled the order with wheel vintiques. Found some OG wheels, with caps and trim ring for a smoking deal and went with those. Did a trial fit with the Bell-Tech spindles and coils and happy to report no issues whatsoever. Then again these are original 15x6 wheels and not the 15x7's Vintiques I was originally going with...sooo um yeah I'm a happy camper.

SCOTI 08-28-2020 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robzkombi (Post 8799024)
Quick update, went ahead and cancelled the order with wheel vintiques. Found some OG wheels, with caps and trim ring for a smoking deal and went with those. Did a trial fit with the Bell-Tech spindles and coils and happy to report no issues whatsoever. Then again these are original 15x6 wheels and not the 15x7's Vintiques I was originally going with...sooo um yeah I'm a happy camper.

OE 6's are usually good to go unless there's a unicorn-combo of parts. I just test fit a combo that had me nervous (CPP modular 2.5" spindles & a heim-joint TRE set-up) but no clearance issues so far.

Robzkombi 08-28-2020 02:23 PM

clearance is tight, less than a 1/4" but no scraping or rubbing issues. I'm happy I went with the OG set.

SCOTI 08-28-2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robzkombi (Post 8799347)
clearance is tight, less than a 1/4" but no scraping or rubbing issues. I'm happy I went with the OG set.

About what I had on mine. I set out for a stock big & little look so my rears are OE steelie too just bigger/wider. It's a classic, timeless look that's always in style

Robzkombi 08-28-2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8799377)
About what I had on mine. I set out for a stock big & little look so my rears are OE steelie too just bigger/wider. It's a classic, timeless look that's always in style

Im going with the 235/75/15 thin white wall all the way around this time. 20" were/are cool but im over that now. This being my first Chevy budget project,( I was a VW fan still am,'62 double cab, 65 sunroof Kombi and my last one a 58 Kombi hence the name robzkombi). I'll just lower it a bit do body and paint, interior and any needed electrical repairs. Keep it simple and enjoyable with a few period correct accessories here and there. So Far so good!

SCOTI 08-28-2020 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robzkombi (Post 8799426)
Im going with the 235/75/15 thin white wall all the way around this time. 20" were/are cool but im over that now. This being my first Chevy budget project,( I was a VW fan still am,'62 double cab, 65 sunroof Kombi and my last one a 58 Kombi hence the name robzkombi). I'll just lower it a bit do body and paint, interior and any needed electrical repairs. Keep it simple and enjoyable with a few period correct accessories here and there. So Far so good!

Solid sounding plan to me. I'll watch for posts/details.

Robzkombi 09-18-2020 10:15 AM

Okay so after getting the 235/75/15 wheels mounted to the OG 15 inch wheels and installed on my truck I did have a small issue with grinding. i purchased a 1/4" spacer and although it did minimize the grinding, there was still a slight rub. Turns out it was the clip on wheel balancing weights that were the issue. Went back to Discount Tire and had them re-balance the wheels this time using the stick on weights and that took care of the issue, i'm now a happy camper/trucker.

skyphix 09-18-2020 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robzkombi (Post 8809989)
Okay so after getting the 235/75/15 wheels mounted to the OG 15 inch wheels and installed on my truck I did have a small issue with grinding. i purchased a 1/4" spacer and although it did minimize the grinding, there was still a slight rub. Turns out it was the clip on wheel balancing weights that were the issue. Went back to Discount Tire and had them re-balance the wheels this time using the stick on weights and that took care of the issue, i'm now a happy camper/trucker.

I had the same issue with Rallyes and wheel weights. They did self clearance on my 1600 mile drive, but I also did run a spacer. I was already using stick on wheel weights unfortunately. Glad you got it worked out!

SCOTI 09-18-2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyphix (Post 8810002)
I had the same issue with Rallyes and wheel weights. They did self clearance on my 1600 mile drive, but I also did run a spacer. I was already using stick on wheel weights unfortunately. Glad you got it worked out!

If you needed/had stick on AND clip on balance weights, something was not right.