The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project: NO-LIFE,... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=338655)

lolife99 04-14-2009 05:28 PM

Re: Project: NO-LIFE,...

Quote:

Originally Posted by powell72 (Post 3256795)
Keith, the truck looks awesome! Everything is right on, the staggered wheel size, the center caps, the tire sizes, and the fact that the front wheels don't stick out further than the rears. I wish more people would take time planning things before throwing parts on. Excellent job my friend.

Thanks alot.

This truck will eventually be a 5-lug truck like I had originally planned. My 71 rearend ended up being junk. (too much money to justify rebuilding for this truck)
I have a certain set of wheels in mind for it that require it to be 5-lug.
As soon as I can find a cheap rearend the 6-lug wheels will come off.

(my "pet peeve",... it the track width of these trucks not being addressed when selecting wheels)
I had originally planned 15x7's and 15x10's to help pull the rear wheels out to the edge of the fender wells, to match the front.
I've had this assortment of parts for quite a while,... waiting for the right truck to come along.
I'm determined to keep it a low buck project.
The first thing out of most peoples mouths is, "When are you going to paint it?" They don't understand when I say "never".
I want a truck to drive, haul junk, and use. This ones perfect. It just needs a little more work. Someday the blazer will get a frame off. But really,... it's just a beater too.

70k52wd 04-14-2009 05:41 PM

Your Blazer is a sweet beater. I bet if you just put a few pieces of sheet metal on it, you would do a reclassification upgrade to it. That truck is very straight. To me, I think a beater is a vehicle one can park in a shopping mall lot and door dings won't stress you out...BTW 454/TB400 for 69:metal:

VA72C10 04-14-2009 07:20 PM

I like the idea of keeping it the way it is and USING it. Some people get a 90's S10 or toyota or 80's/90's pickup and use that as their "Beater" Why spend a couple grand on one of those when you can have a 67-72 and slowly fix it the way you like and it will grow in value...

I am looking for a "beater/work truck" right now and plan to do similar (Lower, good drivetrain, and no/cheap paint) I would love to find one in your trucks' condition for a deal but most I find need some paint so I'm planning a satin black for now unless I luck out.

lolife99 04-19-2009 01:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I got a PM wanting a few in "progress pics" of the suspension work.
I realize now I didn't take too many.
The a-arms and front shocks are the old ones I took off the blazer. Front 6-lug rotors and "conversion" brake hoses are from ECE. Calipers are new '73 calipers (cheaper than 71-72 calipers) from my local parts store.
Here's a few,...

lolife99 04-19-2009 01:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I should have taken pictures before I put the bed back on.

lolife99 04-19-2009 01:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a shot of the low point of the truck. The a-arms.
I have cheap Summit Racing brand 3" drop springs (actually made by Ground Force) and McGaughy 71-72 drop spindles. The tie rod sleeve is a conversion sleeve made by POL (Performance OnLine). It's required to connect the inners to 71-72 outers. Actually the inners are 67-70 "outers" used as inners for the correct thread. (long story,... but neccessary)

I also went with manual disc brakes due to the position of the 6-cylinder stock air cleaner.
Also,... I stole this idea from member tcb-1. (for a cleaner look).

Painter D 04-19-2009 04:44 PM

Lookin good so far.

72BlckButy 04-20-2009 01:57 PM

Now I have two manual setups to work off of.... I still need to get up there and see that thing. Awesome work on plumbing the brake lines, clean as can be!

I have been tempted by Joe with that air cleaner... :D

lolife99 07-27-2009 02:16 PM

Re: Project: NO LIFE,...

4 Attachment(s)
A little update on project NO LIFE:

With the help of many board members, and vendors,... I finally got the interior back together on my '69 swb project.
I had a buddy stop by and help me set the seat back in. A good friends son installed the PUI seat upholstery that I got from member Musclerodz.

I installed a rubber floor mat from Brothers. (Not exactly like an OEM mat, but that's ok) Other new parts include, new window and door weatherstrips, window regulators and door controls, all new interior and exterior door handles, stainless sill plates, new gas tank cover, all new pedal covers, new dash bezel and lense, 3-spoke cushion grip steering wheel, and a refurbished tilt (Thanks, KevsClassics!)
I got alot of used parts from the classified section on here. (Worlds best place to find parts)
I also installed new/used door arm rests, defrost vents, glove box door, (and a spare dash pad not installed yet), seat belts, and I'm sure I forgot something.

Also a big thanks to Tim Christian. I waited for a month for my local Goodmark dealer to get me a rear sport bumper, (still waiting?),... so I called Tim and I had one in three days. Great service.

Just installed the offical "NO LIFE" plates also.

Here's a few pics,...

VA72C10 07-27-2009 02:38 PM

Nicely done. That looks great! :chevy:

my67chevytruck 07-27-2009 03:18 PM

looks good!

70k52wd 07-27-2009 04:09 PM

Wow that looks great. The tilt w/cushion grip wheel is very nice touch. Great job!!!

powell72 07-27-2009 04:35 PM

Coming along nicely, I like the look of the rubber mat in there, basic.

I'm going to need a full rear 3/4 view pic of the truck to truly enjoy the sport bumper.:lol:

You really have me considering bringing my truck down a bit more.

lolife99 07-27-2009 04:53 PM

Thanks for the comments.
Rubber mat doesn't fit that great. Too wrinkly around the hump area for a "low hump" mat. And it doesn't look like an original GM mat. It looks more like a "rubber version" of carpet. Plus it comes way oversized. Alot of trimming involved.
I may change it out if I go with a "high hump" and th-400 tranny.

70k52wd 07-27-2009 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 3433137)
"high hump" and th-400 tranny.

:thumbs: Seems a bit over kill for a 6 banger.:lol:

SCOTI 07-27-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 3433137)
Thanks for the comments.
Rubber mat doesn't fit that great. Too wrinkly around the hump area for a "low hump" mat. And it doesn't look like an original GM mat. It looks more like a "rubber version" of carpet. Plus it comes way oversized. Alot of trimming involved.
I may change it out if I go with a "high hump" and th-400 tranny.

I'd been considering getting a new 'rubber' mat for my current GG's 09 Project64, but wondered about the fit/quality. I've seen carpet kits available that extend all the way under the seat & was considering doing the rubber mat w/carpet for the remainder of the cab. I guess it's time to consider other options (all carpet). I really wanted the OE floor look :( .

SOON2BLAZE 07-27-2009 07:05 PM

nice!

lolife99 07-27-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70k52wd (Post 3433331)
:thumbs: Seems a bit over kill for a 6 banger.:lol:

6-Banger has to go,...

70k52wd 07-27-2009 07:21 PM

So you found a home for the BB you have?
Has it got to the point of need more than want?

72BlckButy 07-27-2009 07:43 PM

That turned out great! :D

Glad to see you had some help drop by this weekend.

lolife99 07-27-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70k52wd (Post 3433398)
So you found a home for the BB you have?
Has it got to the point of need more than want?

No,... still more want than need.
I have my old 454 that I pulled from my 67 Camaro. It's a low miles '74 truck motor that still has the standard bore. (lower end has never been apart)
I think I can do a re-ring/and bearings,... and have the heads checked out for not too much money. It has an old 268 Comp Cam that should be fine in this truck.
I really wanted to do a small block,... but I can't find one that doesn't need a rebuild. So I'll use what I have.

OARNGESI 07-28-2009 06:38 AM

Really nice

Rokcrln 07-28-2009 06:53 AM

Looks good, you are keeping the out side as is right!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

lolife99 07-28-2009 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokcrln (Post 3434207)
Looks good, you are keeping the out side as is right!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Correct. Not touching the outside.

stealthy '69 08-03-2009 09:44 AM

I wouldn't either Keith, it's perfect!!