The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   1972 Blazer 3-Point Seatbelt w/ Roll Bar Options (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=843382)

JJH Jimmy 04-20-2023 01:10 PM

Re: 1972 Blazer 3-Point Seatbelt w/ Roll Bar Options

I think the more important question is how is your roll bar mounted to the bed of the blazer? If the roll bar is just thru bolted into tub of the blazer that is going to fail way before any of those mounting clips will fail with the leverage of mounting the 3rd point of the seat belt to the top of the roll bar.

If i was mounting a seat belt to the roll bar my roll bar would be attached to the frame of the blazer or at the very least have backer plates that sandwich the tub.

hemi43 04-20-2023 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy (Post 9197971)
I think the more important question is how is your roll bar mounted to the bed of the blazer? If the roll bar is just thru bolted into tub of the blazer that is going to fail way before any of those mounting clips will fail with the leverage of mounting the 3rd point of the seat belt to the top of the roll bar.

If i was mounting a seat belt to the roll bar my roll bar would be attached to the frame of the blazer or at the very least have backer plates that sandwich the tub.

There's too much mass in the roll bar and there's 4 mounting points (in mine anyway) for that to be a concern. Those Mickey Mouse clamps would fail before anything.
Anyway, I ain't gonna beat this dead horse anymore.

hemi43 04-20-2023 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vogel (Post 9197838)
Have you inspected the shoulder attachment that GM put in the tops for the shoulder restraint?

Which tops?

JJH Jimmy 04-20-2023 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 9198029)
There's too much mass in the roll bar and there's 4 mounting points (in mine anyway) for that to be a concern. Those Mickey Mouse clamps would fail before anything.
Anyway, I ain't gonna beat this dead horse anymore.

I am not disagreeing with you on the attachments and agree a welded bracket would be best. I tend to over build things myself. I am just saying that other factors also need to be considered when mounting seat belts as well.

hemi43 04-20-2023 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy (Post 9198072)
I am not disagreeing with you on the attachments and agree a welded bracket would be best. I tend to over build things myself. I am just saying that other factors also need to be considered when mounting seat belts as well.

I agree totally!
I'm a Tool & Die Maker by trade and tend to over build stuff too, but if the weak link is the attaching point of the roll bar to the floor, that hard of an impact will kill me anyway. :lol: