The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   2011 Hot Rod Power Tour (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=429280)

silverspeed04 11-11-2010 01:58 AM

Re: 2011 Hot Rod Power Tour

Nashville to Indy will def be I65

68Stepbed 11-11-2010 09:47 AM

Not necessarily. HR usually picks 2 lane roads and as little interstate as possible. There are several reasons for this. 1) For people like me, that still run ancient 3-speed autos and low gears. 2) It's more scenic. You get to see America the way it's meant to be seen from the windshield of a vehicle. 3) It's just more fun. Interstate driving is boring. This ties back in with #2. There's not as much scenery, and back roads have sweeping, winding curves that are much more fun than long, straight sections of interstate.

silverspeed04 11-11-2010 07:42 PM

Good point. I guess I just thought about the same drive I take every time I go see family.

mrhino 01-08-2011 01:25 PM

Does anybody know the path yet!

piecesparts 01-08-2011 02:35 PM

They have put the cites in the magazine ads, that is all so far.

68GMCCustom 01-08-2011 04:06 PM

Isn't it Florida to Michigan?

Hottrucks 01-08-2011 04:44 PM

subscribed??
I need to get more info ..it sounds like fun

djinva 01-08-2011 05:58 PM

Here is a link:

http://www.hotrod.com/powertour/2011...ion/index.html

2011 HOT ROD Power Tour Dates & Cities

Saturday June 4, Cocoa Beach, FL Port Canaveral

Sunday June 5, Valdosta, GA South Georgia Motorsports Park

Monday June 6, Montgomery, AL Montgomery Motorsports Park

Tuesday June 7, Nashville, TN LP Field

Wednesday June 8, Indianapolis, IN Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Thursday June 9, Muskegon, MI Downtown Muskegon

Friday June 10, Detroit, MI Metro Beach Metropark

Saturday June 11, Detroit, MI Long Haulers Ceremony (Location TBD)

I am planning on going, first time for the long haul.

jorgensensc 01-08-2011 06:04 PM

I have been wanting to go on a tour for years, bit it is always so far away.the closest I can get is already halfway over ( alabama). When will they do a Texas north tour? Maybe from Texas up to Wyoming. Talk about scenic country!
Shawn
Posted via Mobile Device

Hottrucks 01-08-2011 06:48 PM

Ok now I feel like an ass but I need to ask what is the tour is it just a long cruz???

57larry 01-08-2011 08:37 PM

i 'll do the Indy to Michigan section

piecesparts 01-08-2011 08:49 PM

If you go and do the whole tour, it is one Long cruise. You get up early in the morning and either go to the driver's meeting or take off on your own. Then after the right number of miles, you arrive at your final destination. Now for the one thing that many have to get used to. If you are driving all day and you get to the evening cruise-in, you will undoubtedly have to park away from the festivities, because the locals of that city have gotten there before you and got all of the close parking. that is just a fact of life---UNLESS you have such a killer vehicle that one of the Hot Rod Vendors choses you to park at their booth. Now, party all night and get up the next day and drive again. Make sure that you look at your motel reservations closely, it can get expensive. We also had a little motel roulette performed on some of us, this last year. The motels got together and cancelled some reservations and had you go to another motel that charged twice the rate, then the ones that were supposed to go to that motel got moved to another at the same duobled rate. After we left, I am sure they were just laughing their butts off.

No complaints on the friends that you will make and the cars that you will see. It is just a long exhausting trip and some good times, some great times and then some not so good. Last year we had one of the tour participants killed by an overanxious driver, passing cars on a two lane. She hit his car and killed him instantly and his son was put into the hospital. however, for all of the years that they have been doing the Tour--it has been with a great record. We did also have one guy get shot at in Alabama, when the driver of the offending car clipped his Mustang and he tried to catch them. Three bullet holes in his car door and a scratch on his arm.

I have done the "Long Haul" a couple times since the very first one and made several short runs with the tour over the years. I have friends that have done every one of the long trips. It makes for a different vacation. We did the trip this last year and our round trip was just over 3000 from home to back to home. Eleven States in seven days. We almost put the truck over the side of the mountain between Bowling Green and Chattanooga on wet pavement, when a Buick Grand National locked them up in front of me. Scooped a couple pounds out of the cab after that.

atomic67 01-08-2011 11:38 PM

Someday they will do the west coast area for the rest of the country.

68GMCCustom 01-09-2011 02:32 PM

or even just more of "central" USA? It seems its been on the east half of the USA for years now.

piecesparts 01-09-2011 03:01 PM

Living in the central part of the states, it is not bad for me and my friends. I do see the issue for those that live at the extreme ends of the country. I have driven to Callifornia and "Long Hauled" back to Detroit and it ws interesting to say the least. I will say that this year the trip from Iowa to Alabama, had many residents from California, New York, and Florida in the mix. We all got the impression that the plan would be to stay centralized to let everyone have a remote chance. This year the trip to Detroit will supposed have a GM tour of the plant on the Sunday following the Long Haulers celebration.

VentureRick 01-10-2011 12:30 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I have been thinking about doing it this year, my wife and I have to make a trip to the Tampa area sometime this spring to do the final paper work on a home we have sold there and we live in the metro Detriot area, so if it works out we will be doing it our 1947 Flxible motorhome, mpg SUCKS but the wow factor is great no matter where we go in it.

mrhino 01-10-2011 07:48 AM

That thing is cool. You know the Indy to Michigan leg of the tour will most likly come near Elkhart, In. Elkhart is the RV Capital of the world, We also have the RV hall of fame with all kinds of old motor-homes, from the beginning of RVing to the present. I'm sure they would love to see yours.

djinva 01-10-2011 12:19 PM

That is one cool motorhome. What is it powered by?

Sicmaro 01-10-2011 12:21 PM

I would love to do this in my camaro if it was closer to the west coast.....

VentureRick 01-10-2011 03:03 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys, mrhino we have been over there a couple of times with both of them ( mine is a 47 and mydads is the red 46 in the background) and they offered me a spot inside for a while, but I use it to much to leave it someplace to show it off.

djinva mine has a 427 GMC with a 4 speed allison automatic, my dads has a 355 smallblock and the original 4 speed manual trans right now but I just picked up another 427 and allison combo along with a brand new semi truck rearend with 4:56 gears for his, we are trying to get our 69 ground up project off the groung so we can roll it out of the garage and get his motorhome in there and start changing the motors out so its ready to roll as soon as spring gets here.

piecesparts 01-10-2011 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what showed up last year.

nasqar 04-18-2011 09:22 PM

I am having a new motor and trans put into the 71 pickup that should make it pretty dependable. 8.1, 4 spd tranny, and AC outta of a 2005 cab and chassis! I better buy a camper topper cause we wont be able to afford the hotel rooms because of the gas!!!

eldogg 04-19-2011 06:59 AM

I'm gonna do from SGMP to Nashville. I hope to be in my 67 but we will see.

mrhino 05-11-2011 07:27 AM

Need a little help, I have taken the 8th off to do the the tour, from indy to Muskegan, but I just realized that i may be a day early. our the posted dates the days they are leaving each location or arriving at each destination?

djinva 05-11-2011 08:44 AM

http://www.hotrod.com/2011/powertour/index.html

Here is a link with all of the dates. It looks like you are ok.