The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Vendor Reviews (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   No More Craftsman Tools For Me (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=178058)

Sweet72 11-29-2005 11:05 PM

Re: No More Craftsman Tools For Me

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68C15
the last time I did this they gave me some crappy model where the drive end has a kind of double square. its difficult to install them on a ratchet while your busy.

I bought a 1/2" drive Craftsman socket set with this "double square" crap and 6C15 is absolutely right about them being difficult to install especially when you're under the car, greasy hands, dirt in your eyes and this friggin socket won't go on the ratchet. WTF Sears? This crap was obviously designed to frustrate the backyard mechanic into buying a new car instead of working on the older stuff.:rolleyes:

blood62 11-30-2005 06:27 AM

I have had nothing but problems with craftsman ratchets I have split more knuckles because of then I refuse to even use one in a bind. Even brand new their grainy ... they just sound terrible. Craftsman sockets are easy to crack and their wrenches are bulky and clumsy I guess I can’t say to much good about them I use Snap-On now. So little is made with pride any more its sad its all about the money and nothing about the quality.

ed455 11-30-2005 08:52 AM

Couple of weeks ago I pitched a Craftsman ratchet across the yard and it still had the UPC sticker on it. Total crap. The ratchet mechanism is crunchy and the sockets won't go on or come back off without prying them with a screwdriver. NEVER again.

navybear70 11-30-2005 12:28 PM

I have a Craftsman rachet to return right now. But I have a Husky to return as well...sigh.

68 Stepside 01-12-2006 06:56 PM

I don't mind anything Craftsman, except the ratchets. Even the expensive ones are junk IMO. My 44 year old jigsaw still works like new, and I have a lot of odd and end stuff that's been picked up at yard sales and such, it's all good too, I'll just stay away from their ratchets.

8bolt 01-12-2006 07:16 PM

I think crapsmen tools are all ready being made in china .Idon't buy any of their tools of any kind anymore had lot of trouble with their power tools .

onetoncrewcab 01-12-2006 07:37 PM

I don't know...Craftsman seemed to go down hill after Bob Vila became their spokesman. They seemed to come out with a lot of those "one tool does it all" gizmos.
Mike

JoetheMobster 01-13-2006 10:01 AM

well that sucks that you've had crappy luck with them. I bought a set in '93, and they've been to hell and back (read: the afformentioned 4' cheater bar, used as hammers, especially the ˝") and have never had to be replaced. You know that now that I've said that...........hello Sears...yeah I want to replace this here broken ratchet!

Jr_Blazer_Boy 01-13-2006 02:20 PM

I own a craftsman 10" cast iron table saw that is about 40 years old. This thing is on its 2nd belt from what I was told. Orig motor. This saw has been used and I mean USED. It still out performs the new one that the guy next door bought. I plan to keep this and hand it down myself as It has made its way to me.

onetoncrewcab 01-13-2006 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jr_Blazer_Boy
I own a craftsman 10" cast iron table saw that is about 40 years old. This thing is on its 2nd belt from what I was told. Orig motor. This saw has been used and I mean USED. It still out performs the new one that the guy next door bought. I plan to keep this and hand it down myself as It has made its way to me.

I bought one of those about 25 years ago. It was right after I got out of high school. Mine hasn't probably been heavily used, but I believe it is still on the original belt yet. I gotta admit, that saw is built. But I also believe that the Craftsman back then is not the same Craftsman today.

Mike

71-longbed 01-15-2006 11:35 AM

I have a few craftsman peices .. new and old .. never had a problem with there hand tools .. but i've only been wrenching for a few years ...
I like sears off brand Companion ... usually about 1/2 the price of craftsman and seems to be nice quality ... anyone have any experiance with Companion... seems alot better than that Harbor freight stuff

55454 01-15-2006 12:16 PM

I have been having the same 1/2" drive I bought myself in the early eighties and it has been well used. It has had the 4' hurricance fence post put on it, pipe wrench teeth marks, beaten with a hammer and still works fine( pictures on request). The only high dollar tools I have are one's some may have left in a rat infested truck I was talking parts off.

The phillips scewdrivers are terrible, I brought a handful of tools to sears for replacement which I have noticed the new 12 points were much thinner than the worn out ones I had. I picked up a #2 phillips. I realize they may be used as a hole punch sometimes, but I used this new screwdriver to take a tailgate band off and the tip cracked off. I went back to sear's and told the manager that realize people are hard on tools but it doesn't make sense that a new screw driver breaks undoing a screw. He told me: "if you dont like it go buy a set of kliens". In closing I like them all as long as they do the job.

crazyred 01-15-2006 06:19 PM

I just bought a 584 piece set from craftsman this past summer and there was a bunch of sockets and wrenches missing from the set…. And also a bunch with the chrome flaking off. One wrench wasn’t stamped out…and a bunch of sockets need to be drilled out so it will fit on the post of my craftsman socket holder… What gives with that??? From my experience craftsman ratchets are garbage. If you want quality ratchets go with MAC …. Oddly enough I meant to go to the MAC web site to order a bunch of way over priced tools but out of habit and not thinking I ended up here! Anyway, I figured the craftsman junk will be the stuff I modify to become specialty tool’s ….. that’s my 2 cents

krue 01-15-2006 07:45 PM

I can't get online without winding up here.:D