The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   3 weeks, 1300 bucks, and a whole lot of sweat (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=179131)

thejoker 11-06-2005 04:46 PM

Re: 3 weeks, 1300 bucks, and a whole lot of sweat

Great job. Can't wait to see the finished product.

texascowboy593 11-06-2005 05:44 PM

Fantastic ride TX... Love the old door signage. Always wondered how that would look on my truck!:c2: Glad your doing better.:)

lolife99 11-06-2005 06:43 PM

Great truck project! I always follow your truck build-ups. Your approach to your projects is the best. Make it low, make everything work, and clean it up BEFORE re-assembly. If it was mine,... I wouldn't paint the outside either. Good luck with your health,... and keep the pictures coming!

72CSTC5 11-06-2005 10:36 PM

Now I know you didnt build this while you were on workers comp did you? I hurt my back at work and just got back to work after being off for two months and those a-holes from the insurance company probably showed up to my house 4 times and every time I went to the doctor my nurse case manager went with me. Good luck, nice truck and I hope you take care of your knee.

Yukon Jack 11-07-2005 11:44 AM

Great stance - it is just right.

farside847 11-07-2005 11:52 AM

Another plumber!!!

My truck was orginially by grandpa's work truck. He was a plumber for 40 years in SF!

Have fun with it!

Tx Firefighter 11-08-2005 07:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72CSTC5
Now I know you didnt build this while you were on workers comp did you? I hurt my back at work and just got back to work after being off for two months and those a-holes from the insurance company probably showed up to my house 4 times and every time I went to the doctor my nurse case manager went with me. Good luck, nice truck and I hope you take care of your knee.

That's the difference, your back was hurt.

My knee was hurt. It happened in front of my whole engine company. They saw the accident and heard the knee pop from a distance away. Worker's Comp didn't even blink. They paid everything with a smile and no hassle at all. Besides, they can't stop me from doing anything as long as it complies with my doctor's limitations. My doc approved me to do anything up to lifting 150 pounds, so no worries. He's since approved me for full duty with no weight limits at all.

Besides, I live so far in the country, they couldn't even see me working on this thing. As long as I keep my front gate closed, they can't get close enough to see me.

Here's a few more pics I have.

The radiator ones may interest some folks. There was a thread asking about 73-87 radiators in earlier trucks. The best I can tell, 73-80 eork fine, but they got taller in 81-87 trucks. I had an 83 model truck radiator in my parts stash that I wanted to use, because it was free. The problem is, the radiator is too tall. I had to build some upper retainers to compensate for the added height. It was a few minutes of work, but worth it to keep from having to buy a radiator.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...2&d=1131448805
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1131448805
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...0&d=1131448805

N2TRUX 11-08-2005 09:47 AM

Ya know I never cared for cab clearence lights on a light truck. Looking at the pics of the cab, I think they look kinda cool. Maybe you should put them back on until you get a chance to weld them up....:)

427V8 11-08-2005 12:59 PM

Wow cool.
I want one!

FleetsidePaul 11-08-2005 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfthing2000
Leave it just as is!!! I love it! Especial.y that shorty header pipe. Why ruin a good thing?? Stick with the six and maybe split the manifold??? Definetly do not paint!
This truck is a perfect example of what it is realy all about!!!
Take notice Foose!!! 1300 bucks and in my book this one takes the trophy over your custom chop/graphicized/channeled/veloured/tinted/crated/TVed/ "overhauled"/tall chick with long legs who hangs around and goofs around for the guys/custom multi layered paints /cleare coated/ tucked and rolled/filled/glassed/blasted/overkilled creation from a story/fantasy bookland/ polished for show/ one of kind signed and autographed/designer car/truck that needs garaged and definetly not driven/ trailer queen/ show stopper!!!

Give me the RAT!!!!!!!!!

I don't know, I would add a tall chick with long legs every time.:lol:

shaneschevys 11-08-2005 01:44 PM

I wouldnt paint it either. Nothing of mine is painted, it is alot easier to maintain a primer or old paint job than a new one.( dont have to worry about scraches) But that is a sweet truck, keep it the way it is.

lilred67 11-08-2005 03:08 PM

tx. thats cool,me and a friend of mine did the same thing several years ago with a bunch of parts we collected over the years.if you don't mind me asking, do you work for the weatherford fire dept.?i seen that you used to list weatherford as your location.i'm an electrician for the city of weatherford.hope your recovery is going well.

Tx Firefighter 11-08-2005 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaneschevys
I wouldnt paint it either. Nothing of mine is painted, it is alot easier to maintain a primer or old paint job than a new one.( dont have to worry about scraches) But that is a sweet truck, keep it the way it is.

I'm sure you've seen pictures of some of my past trucks, I've had some real shiny ones. I'll never do a full on show type of paint job again. They worry me too much and take the fun out of everything concerning the truck. If I paint anything, I do suede finish. I did my 54 Chevy 5 years ago, and it held up better than anything I've ever had otherwise.

67sub 11-08-2005 03:22 PM

Looks good man, but yours usually do. I'd love to be able to get a truck on the road. Glad you're back on your feet. I'm still doing the Dodge thing if you need something let me know. - Curtis

Dave Reed 11-08-2005 09:24 PM

Glad to hear you made out OK. I have had my 3rd hip surgery and recovery sucks!!!!!!

A few 72's 11-11-2005 11:28 AM

One thing I thought of, that you might try with the cab lights is to cut some circles of 3/16 - 1/4 clear plexi-glass and counter sink a small hole but not all the way through. Then silicone a yellow/orange LED in recess to give a glow around the outer edge. Will keep the lights to go along with the logos, but they will not have the height to conflict with the swb and lowered stance.

hoser 11-11-2005 12:06 PM

Nice work, keep us updated on this project....

Tx Firefighter 11-11-2005 05:52 PM

I appreciate all the encouragement so far.

Also, several members have stepped up and helped me out with some parts I needed. I'm deeply appreciative to all of you.

I have the EFI engine and auto overdrive trans ready to swap in as soon as I can. I'll photograph the process all along the way. It will be a real learning experience I'm sure.

The reason for no progress in the last week is that I'm building a shop. We poured the concrete today. It will be complete by Thanksgiving. I've built a lot of cars in a 19x19 foot garage in my old house. But, since we built the new house last year, I've been working outdoors, under a 24x24 car port, with my tools in a shed. This will be my first real shop, a 30x40 with all the luxuries, and I'll be moved into it by Thanksgiving. Then, I can get real serious about building stuff.

matt67350 11-11-2005 06:08 PM

When you get the paint booth ready I've got a 67 step that needs a spray.
Will you have a parts counter also?