The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   n2billet's project 68 "Extreme Makeover" hot rod style (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=184474)

n2billet 01-01-2006 11:46 PM

Re: n2billet's project 68 "Extreme Makeover" hot rod style

Quote:

Originally Posted by phantom dually
Ken what is the process used to paint a engine?? Clear/base on that one??

I basically cleaned it free from all grease and grime and then cleaned the motor with Sila Scrub with a scotch brite pad and then washed it down with final clean. I then shot one coat of exopy followed by 2 coats of Standox paint and 2 coats of clear. We have done all our motor this way with great results. Now that I made this statement all the paint will fall off this motor :)

79BIG10 01-01-2006 11:53 PM

Just curious but why not get a different motor? Are you trying to keep it somewhat factory?

n2billet 01-02-2006 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79BIG10
Just curious but why not get a different motor? Are you trying to keep it somewhat factory?

Because, everyone runs a V8 small block and I'm just a little different in the head! :crazy:

phantom dually 01-02-2006 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2billet
I basically cleaned it free from all grease and grime and then cleaned the motor with Sila Scrub with a scotch brite pad and then washed it down with final clean. I then shot one coat of exopy followed by 2 coats of Standox paint and 2 coats of clear. We have done all our motor this way with great results. Now that I made this statement all the paint will fall off this motor :)

Thanks for the info. I will be painting My 496 soon and need to find the BEST way to do this. Any additional info you have will be great as far as some product part #s etc etc. Thanks

hotrodhomi 01-02-2006 02:07 AM

Re: n2billet's 68 project

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX
I'll add more pics as he sends them to me. Wait till you see what he got for the motor...

Turbo?

bskylerj 01-02-2006 02:58 AM

Did you c notch the rear frame? Did you cut into the bed at all? I am interested in bagging my truck bit do not want to cut up the bed. Looks great.

C-10volvo 01-02-2006 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrodhomi
Turbo?

i hope so...

SCOTI 01-02-2006 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrodhomi
Turbo?

Nope. Nothing like that.

KISS is the theme, but he has a hard time w/the exact definition of 'simple' :lol: .
Quote:

Originally Posted by bskylerj
Did you c notch the rear frame? Did you cut into the bed at all? I am interested in bagging my truck bit do not want to cut up the bed. Looks great.

Last I heard, there were no plans to cut the floor up. You can bag your truck & not cut the floor but w/o cutting the floor (or modifying it in some other fashion) you can't get it 'extremely' low like planting the frame rails.

N2TRUX 01-02-2006 11:34 AM

hotrodhomi- Turbo?

N2TRUX- No nothing wild. Just a cool "Old School" treatment.

bskylerj- Did you c notch the rear frame? Did you cut into the bed at all?

N2TRUX- Yes the frame is C-notched. Look at the first page in this thread for pics. No, the bed will not be cut.

1Ton 01-02-2006 12:18 PM

Cool truck. Nice progress pics too.

gregfull 01-02-2006 01:52 PM

n2billet,

I'm glad you left the 6 banger in there, more power to you. No pun intended. I've always wanted to build a cruiser like that. Can't wait to see more pics. Keep us posted.

Inthuwind 01-02-2006 05:20 PM

Keep the pics coming~~AWESOME build!!!

69chevytruck 01-02-2006 09:50 PM

Glad to see another 6. What are your plans for the inline?

n2billet 01-02-2006 10:32 PM

Didn't get a lot done today for some reason, I guess it's the thought of going back to work tomorrow that did me in :o

I painted the inner fenders, frame and core support, not what I would call super nice but good enough for what I'm trying to do. I started putting all the wires and hoses back on the firewall so I can get the motor back in the hole.

I also started bolting on the engine stuff. I don't like the way the HEI looks so I'm going to paint the cap red and add a billet cover on the vacuum and go from there. During all this I decided to start trial fitting the P/S stuff. It's a good thing, I now need to replace the Harmonic balancer because of the spacing on the p/s pulley but luck would have it that I now have a spare motor with the correct balancer so I can still move ahead. With any luck I will get my growing box of stuff that needs to be blasted and painted done before the end of the week.

Enjoy and let me know what you think....

Alvin 01-02-2006 10:34 PM

Man! I feel somewhat inadequate to say the least! I've had my truck tore apart for years and haven't done that much work to it. Good work! It's a tried and true formula: 68 SWB + Air Ride + Big Wheels = Cool Nothing else really matters, it will only add to or take away from the cool factor.

N2TRUX 01-03-2006 12:03 AM

Yeah that HEI cap does look rather large on there. Paint it red and it will blend in better. The finned side covers look cool. I can't wait to see it back together...:metal:

FnLow69 01-03-2006 01:09 AM

what kind of wheels are those? looks bad ass

n2billet 01-03-2006 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FnLow69
what kind of wheels are those? looks bad ass

Billet Specialties Vintec's

gregfull 01-03-2006 08:55 AM

Too bad someone doesn't make a finned plastic chromed distributor cap to match the side covers. Are you putting a finned valve cover on it also? Looks great so far though!

Joe67 01-03-2006 09:08 AM

Great looking project!!

What is in store for the exterior? The nice stock look it already has?

n2billet 01-03-2006 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregfull
Too bad someone doesn't make a finned plastic chromed distributor cap to match the side covers. Are you putting a finned valve cover on it also? Looks great so far though!

Yep, the Offy valve cover should be here today. I also have a finned oil filter cover that I'm going to modify to fit. I just hope that painting the HEI cap will help it "blend in".

n2billet 01-03-2006 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67c10step
Great looking project!!

What is in store for the exterior? The nice stock look it already has?

Going to leave it stock..... I like the resto look.......

bagged74 01-03-2006 09:51 AM

those 6cyls are pretty cool. We have a 53 Belair in the shop now that has a 250 with a clifford manifold, holley 4 barrel carb, and headers with dual exhaust. Its really neat, but it kinda sounds like an airplane.:lol:

n2billet 01-03-2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagged74
those 6cyls are pretty cool. We have a 53 Belair in the shop now that has a 250 with a clifford manifold, holley 4 barrel carb, and headers with dual exhaust. Its really neat, but it kinda sounds like an airplane.:lol:

I ran mine straight without a muffler and it sounded wicked but not sure what I'm going to do with this go around.

Joe67 01-03-2006 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2billet
Going to leave it stock..... I like the resto look.......

Excellent idea :cool: