The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I'd like everyone's opinions on my truck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=191560)

HeavyD 03-05-2006 07:49 PM

Re: I'd like everyone's opinions on my truck

I think it will look good with a coat of primer on it, as it will be all one color. The wheels have all the caps and rings, and look fine IMO.

CG 03-05-2006 07:55 PM

why dont you post your best shot of it and a shot of your logo over in photoshop and ask to have it primed and the logo put on?

NitroMike 03-05-2006 08:09 PM

TX,

It's all in the eye of the beholder as they say. The sweat you put into it and how it works and runs is what impresses me. I LOVE oxide red. Back in the day, hot rods were not all flat black as most people would now believe from the resto Kulture folks, out east they were mostly red oxide. Here's a link to another approach that I may try myself. Regular paint with the 30% flatener already mixed in.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HOT-R...8756QQtcZphoto

SCOTI 03-05-2006 08:11 PM

TX, I like it as is.

That being said, I've never been a big fan of red oxide primer but some cheap single stage white w/a patina finish & some door logos/signs would look sweet.

I like the ralleys & they're already paid for but something old school like Halibrand Kidney-Bean (AR Salt-Flats) stuffed in the fender wells wouldn't hurt the look either.

darksidepres 03-05-2006 08:27 PM

well im no expert or anything buuuuut...... Maybe you should try satin paints. there cheap and come it a can. They also have many colors to choose from. Zumo can testify to this. as can I cause i've seen it in person and looks really cool. And the shop logo you can have it done in vinyl and have the letters taken out instead of the excess. put that an the side paint the letter less areas whatever color you want peel off the vinyl and get you a pinstripe brush and out line your logo. just a thought

VetteVet 03-05-2006 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bishops Trucks
Theres nothing wrong with a primer sealer. Satin black primer with your shop name painted on the side would look cool. Kind of a Rat Rod look. My opinion.

:agree: I was gonna say that a flat black primer would look real mean on that baby. Whatever you want is the way to go, even if it means selling it and getting one later.

Boog 03-05-2006 08:32 PM

My first truck was light gray primered. I got quite a few compliments on that gray truck. Several had no idea it was only primer. I originally had ET alum slots but later switched to vette rallys with caps n rings. It looked good with both. Why not pick a lighter shade of some color like a white, blue, beige or green? Or come up with a shade of your own.

krue 03-05-2006 09:02 PM

Red oxide would look good, but I like the rally's.:D

wolfthing2000 03-05-2006 09:15 PM

Don't ruin it! Leave it as is!:)

70 shorty 03-05-2006 09:19 PM

If your truck looks bad, then mine is the definition of a POS. Don't change out the wheels either, but then again I think it's hard to beat the factory rallys on our trucks.

Sweet72 03-05-2006 09:20 PM

The red oxide primer (laquer) I've used in the past doesn't seal the metal and is porous, so rust seems to form quickly in this climate. Maybe a clearcoat over the red oxide and your business logo would work, and I think it would look real sharp. I'm sure somebody on here can explain how to reduce the gloss of the clearcoat to make it appear only primed. My 2 cent

Ron 586 03-05-2006 10:18 PM

If your 350 had not of crapped out would we be reading this post. You are not the only one here that has worked hard and saw your efforts go up in smoke and not produce the results you hoped for. You are way ahead of the game in my opinion because, you only had to go back to where you were to start over. You have a good driving, running, (and even if it is not all one color) looking truck. What if you had sold or traded it and what you just got crapped out. Hell anybody can go out and max out 2 or 3 credit cards and build or buy a sharp truck. You have choose to do it as you can with out putting yourself in a bind. I think your truck looks good the way it is as a work in progress. Click on the link in my sig. and look at the 72 that I drive everyday. I drive it in to any parking lot in town and park it between new or old alike. It's mine, paid for, and I like it. What other people think don't concern me. If you want to change it up a little go for it. What you think is all that matters. Just my opinion.

powell72 03-05-2006 11:11 PM

I like it the way it is, but if you do decide to paint, the red oxide look sounds good too.

LUV2XCLR8 03-05-2006 11:59 PM

:agree: with the majority of the responses here, sounds like it will be cool :ho:

shifty 03-06-2006 12:25 AM

paint it some color - flat or not - and toss some 18" 5-spoke rims like everyone else and it would look sweet. You know, rims like these:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/3.../mywheels2.jpg

I think it would oook swwet. Great stance on it already.

bad68bowtie 03-06-2006 12:33 AM

I think your truck is one of the coolest ones on here both in looks and character, but thats knowing what you did to build it and all of the work thats gone into it so I hear what you're saying about outsiders not knowing what all was involved and thinking its just a pos. If it was up to me I'd try and go with a flat white or blue, but the red oxide would undoubtedly be cool too. I'd be torn with the wheels, save money and leave em be.

I know this isn't quite the route you're going for, but isn't the cab a 1 ton cab? If the marker light holes are still there on the roof I think putting a set of those on would look really cool and be different, but thats just me.

Primered_69 03-06-2006 12:39 AM

Please paint it the orange color that you had your car painted. Then put a shop logo that really pops. i would love to see what one of our year trucks that you've owned would be if you were able to take it the distance. I know in the past you have gotten bored with them and moved on to something different.

So since it would only be labor (and no money from the tree) go all out and do the welding and do some tricky fabrication on some mods. Take plenty of pictures and keep us posted.

If you go red oxide I think it would really be cool if you went the early seventies shop truck look.

BIGT05 03-06-2006 01:08 AM

I like the whole beater look but maybe you should go for one solid color though i guess maybe whatever stiil looks sweet

jus_1982 03-06-2006 02:00 AM

wow, your truck has great potential honestly. i am quite the optimistic person and the first thing i noticed was how well the truck sits. it has got a perfect stance to it. just finish up the bodywork and get that sucker primed and you will see it too. just need to make a few changes so you can realize the potential in it.

mkundo 03-06-2006 02:17 AM

Sounds to me that you have already made up your mind on doing the body work. What ever you do to it will be interesting to me as I have followed your posts and enjoyed your comments and informative information. Actually I like to see a beater that someone drives.
My .02

beater69 03-06-2006 02:23 AM

I know it is far from revolutionary but you can't go wrong with satin black. I don't get the impression you are trying to get on the cover of any magazines though. I plan on doing satin black with pickup rally's this summer. I'll just be happy to have it all one color. If satin black is your taste check into John Deere Blitz Black its satin and only $25/gal and as tough as any industrial paint. Your not going to blow any minds but I think it would really work as a whole package, especially with a shop truck logo on the door.

jsbgump 03-06-2006 02:38 AM

Go for it. Maybe do the hot rod black primer with the shop logo

Tx Firefighter 03-06-2006 07:21 AM

I'm kind of against black. It's too hot here for that. Summer would be killer.

Primered69, I do have some of the orange paint left over from the 54. I guess I could do it like I did that one with the flattened clear. I'd need to figure out how to scrape some extra dough up in a pile though. That clear, activator, and flattening agent is kind of costly.

Bishops Trucks 03-06-2006 07:37 AM

I was just suggesting black satin primer sealer to give it a solid color. PPG makes a tintable primer you can make any color you want. It goes for about $100.00 to $125.00 a gallon. By the way , and I'm sure everyone would agree, there is nothing wrong with the way your truck looks now. I have a truck for sale in the for sale section that when I was driving it around I was always getting the thumbs up from people. Yours is in better shape than that one is.

jhwkns 03-06-2006 08:22 AM

I'm not too keen on red oxide, or black.. I think light grey looks much better.