The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   photo story of custom gas filler..... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=210913)

Gimix 09-19-2006 05:04 PM

Re: photo story of custom gas filler.....

Well I was just wondering but I know I've seen cars do it as well.The last one I seen was in Texas and a guy just bought a new Ferrari Enzo and he went to fill it up and BOOM!and he wasn't smokeing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Fabris (Post 1806445)
Gimix, Unless you are rubbing all over your cloth interior while you are filling up, you won't have a problem with static electricity.

Even then, touching the truck or the pump itself with your hand to release the charge before removing the nozzle will take care of that.....

And for those that worry about the spark created when you turn your lights on or when you apply the brakes, my set up is a sealed system and even if I were to have sloppy wireing or loose fitting lightbulbs, it would not be an issue...

67ChevyRedneck 09-19-2006 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gimix (Post 1808762)
Well I was just wondering but I know I've seen cars do it as well.The last one I seen was in Texas and a guy just bought a new Ferrari Enzo and he went to fill it up and BOOM!and he wasn't smokeing.

Can you prove this? Sounds like an urban legend.

Yukon Jack 09-19-2006 05:40 PM

That is a great modification. I need to get a one way check valve for my tank on my flatbed. Have to look into something like you bought.

Do you have a pic of the check valve?

project1971 09-19-2006 10:43 PM

That is clean! excellent job!

John Fabris 09-20-2006 10:58 AM

Hey Yukon Jack,

http://www.johnnyrods.com/67truck/images/tankvalve.jpg

These are them... They are about 3/4 - 1 inch long, and you can see the nipple where the hose is, that is the part you put into the tank, and if you look closely you can see the opening all around the bottom of cap, that is where the outside air get sucked in....

layedoutnoma 09-20-2006 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 1808775)
Can you prove this? Sounds like an urban legend.

a quick google search and nothing came up.. sorry but its prolly not true...

John Fabris 09-20-2006 12:23 PM

That one could be real or not, but with any car or truck, if a person has a static charge built up on them (as the case with most women as they are the ones that get back into the car while they are filling up), there is a risk of creating a spark with the nozzle as they remove it from the car.
It has happened and there are videos of this, but it is rare. If you touch the pump or car with your hand before removing the nozzle, you remove the risk....

layedoutnoma 09-20-2006 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Fabris (Post 1809365)
That one could be real or not, but with any car or truck, if a person has a static charge built up on them (as the case with most women as they are the ones that get back into the car while they are filling up), there is a risk of creating a spark with the nozzle as they remove it from the car.
It has happened and there are videos of this, but it is rare. If you touch the pump or car with your hand before removing the nozzle, you remove the risk....

yea it def has and can happen.. but i haven't heard the enzo story..

salazar44 09-20-2006 12:58 PM

That looks sweet. I want to do the same for my 65. My tank is still in the cab. Do you think it could be done just to replace the ugly look of the stock filler?

Zumo 09-20-2006 01:46 PM

You fantastic bastard! That's awesome.

John Fabris 09-20-2006 03:57 PM

Zumo, Thanks!!!

Salazar, if you are talking about this for cab, it should work, I would actually weld a thicker piece of metal to close up the cab hole, then weld a filler like this onto that piece. Other then that, cut and remove the filler tube inside the tank, and get the rubber gas filler hose and clamp to the tank and your new filler.

salazar44 09-20-2006 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Fabris (Post 1809476)
Zumo, Thanks!!!

Salazar, if you are talking about this for cab, it should work, I would actually weld a thicker piece of metal to close up the cab hole, then weld a filler like this onto that piece. Other then that, cut and remove the filler tube inside the tank, and get the rubber gas filler hose and clamp to the tank and your new filler.

Damn John... Thats sweet. If only I had a welder! or at least knew how to weld! LOL:lol: I think I will just solder it on... J/K

I think I found similar "Deck Gas Fills" at www.overtons.com ( a boat parts shop ) and on ebay of course.

Hook'em 09-21-2006 09:58 AM

That is by far the best looking filler set-up I have seen.

shifty 09-21-2006 11:44 AM

A++ writeup! Thanks for the vent info, would have never thought about using one of those guys. :)

zenish 09-23-2006 11:27 PM

is that watertight?is the tank going to fill with water when it rains?

LowRodder 09-24-2006 12:38 AM

I got a pop up filler similar to the one you installed, and I was planning to use the same pocket that you did. But... my body man told me that he would have to cut out some brackets inside the pocket too run the pipe, and this would weaken the bedside. have you had any problems?

John Fabris 09-24-2006 01:22 AM

Huh:confused:

zenish, Fill up with water?? With a gas filler made for a boat:crazy:

What it is that you think this will fill with water when it rain? Can you explain?

LowRodder, I used a 1-1/2inch gas filler hose for inside the pocket, and I did not use any brackets to secure it. With it being clamped at both ends, it does not move...

Josh 09-24-2006 01:42 AM

Excll;ent mod, copied to FAQ :)

glock35ipsc 09-24-2006 10:04 AM

John, I think LowRodder is talking about a bracket inside the stake pocket hole, about 8"-12" down from the top. I have been trying to figure out how to get that out with twisting up the pocket. Did you drill out the spot welds?

John Fabris 09-24-2006 11:28 AM

I forgot about that part, yes, there is the piece of metal that is the stop or
the bottom for the stake pocket. When I opened up the hole at the top of the pocket, then I used a chisel and hammer to knock out this stop. It is held on by spot welds, and you make get lucky and have it pop right off if the spot welds are not that deep (as in the case with mine).
NOTE added this to my steps above!!

Thanks for the clarification glock!!

Gimix 09-29-2006 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by layedoutnoma (Post 1809332)
a quick google search and nothing came up.. sorry but its prolly not true...

I seen it on the news when i was in texas,it wasnt told to me.I seen the video my self.A quick google search might not be the best way to some up if somthing is true or false.

glock35ipsc 09-29-2006 08:14 PM

I found this story...Washington, not Texas....

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in706202.shtml

HuggerCST 10-03-2006 02:47 PM

Great job, John! Any trouble filling the tank? Can you tell me how big around your cap is? (OD) I'm considering doing something similar to this.

67ChevyRedneck 10-03-2006 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc (Post 1816359)
I found this story...Washington, not Texas....

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in706202.shtml

Wow, that's amazing, but there was no mention of how the fire started? :confused:

John Fabris 10-03-2006 03:46 PM

HuggerCST, no problems filling with the nozzle opened all the way. (where as some of my buddies trucks with rear gas tanks, they have to slow fill to avoid the spill over.)

With my setup, I use a rubber pad over the filler hole on the bed (about a 3"by4") so that I scratch up the paint with the gas nozzle. Other then that, and the end of the fill, I do sometimes get gas vapor/spray around the filler, so I then clean with a rag, but it is never enough that gas is running down the bed....

I think the OD of just the cap is 1-1/2"

67chevyredneck, I am willing to bet that it was static electricity....