The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project: Bad Bagged '68.5 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=220311)

bagged74 01-03-2007 10:28 PM

Re: progress pics

thats going to be a pretty low ride height.

jlaird 01-03-2007 10:42 PM

I called slam specialties and asked them what the ride height of the bag I have is. The told me between 5.5 and 7". So I set the ride height up for the bag to be inflated to 6.25" high. Did I do something wrong?

jimmydean 01-03-2007 10:51 PM

That's freakin' low! Guess that's why I'll never run a step notch :D

Looks good though. Get that bad boy rolling.

bagged69c10 01-03-2007 11:58 PM

Your problem is that your doing bag over axle which gets 1:1 lift which sucks ass if you want it to ride good because as you can see its pretty low. Id say your doing it right, its just the nature of the stuff. I guess.

jlaird 01-04-2007 12:38 AM

Should I set it up for 7" bag ride height? That would help out a little in getting the 4 link more parallel with the ground...

gringoloco 01-04-2007 01:07 AM

I agree with everyone else on the VERY low ride height. You will only be a few inches off the ground with the axle that deep in the notch. It will definitely look cool though...

Maybe build a taller mount on the axle to take up some of the 'slack'. My understanding is that you want a tapered style bag on over-the-axle setups. The Slams are better suited to a lever setup. Have you considered mounting the bags on the upper link and to the outside of the frame?

jlaird 01-04-2007 01:24 AM

yea, I too have heard that the sleeve bag is better suited for over the axle. My plan is to use what I have, and if it is not to my liking, I'm going to switch out the slams for a sleeve type bag.

I just went out and did some measuring. If I go with a ride height of 7" with the slam bags and use a 30" tall tire, my frame under the cab will be 6.25" off the ground. This sounds reasonable, doesn't it?

Thanks for all the help fellas!

XXL 01-04-2007 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AesC10s (Post 1957351)
Check this one out guys, Its from speedway motors http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/asp...qx/Product.htm

I have one of these units that I played around with, never actually installed on anything, that could use a good home.

1lowdiesel 01-05-2007 01:43 PM

looks a little low... but good.

boxrodz 01-05-2007 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlaird (Post 1969625)
guys, heres a pic of the 4 link mocked up. My axle is at ride height which was derived from the slam bag being a little over 6" inflated at ride height. My issue is the angle of the 4-link. I thought it is supposed to be parallel at ride height. Is it ok the way it looks? I can't move the front mount any further up.

I agree with the other's, it's gonna ride real low. I can only imagine what you'll have to do to the front.

To get the four bars closer to level, maybe you can swap the front mounts of each side with each other. This would put the front mount tabs angling downward, allowing you to raise the front mounts a couple of inches higher on the frame rail. Instead of airing up the bags to 7" which may increase the firmness of the ride, maybe you can install spacers between the bags and the brackets to get the bars level at ride height.

BTW, looking good... :cool:

jlaird 01-05-2007 06:05 PM

I will try flipping the front mounts, but I don't think it is going to make a difference. I'll have to go look.

The only thing that I am concerned about with the spacers is that the spacer is going raise the rear at full dump, correct?

gringoloco 01-06-2007 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlaird (Post 1972194)
The only thing that I am concerned about with the spacers is that the spacer is going raise the rear at full dump, correct?

Yep. This is why I suggested upper link mounting. At say, a 1.5:1 ratio you would get 10.5" of lift out of that same 7" of bag. -Chris

jlaird 01-11-2007 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does anybody have any creative ideas of how to take up the space between the 4link mount and the frame? I basically have to do exactly what is in this pic, but I was trying to think of a more "visually pleasing" way to do it.

PBFAB.COM 01-11-2007 04:54 PM

I think a 6.25" ride height (bottom of frame rail to the ground) is plenty of room. I set-up all our stuff to run a 5" ride height. I know you have been discussing the height the bag is designed to ride at, and this is critical to have it function properly. Set the bottom of the frame rail to your desired ride height off the ground and then figure your bag mounts out. I would recommend a tapered sleeve on an over the axle set-up... the ride quality will be much better than a convoluted bag. If you are planning on 'possibly changing over' to the tapered sleeve later and run the convoluted now, keep that in mind when building your mounts.

XXL 01-11-2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlaird (Post 1980888)
I was trying to think of a more "visually pleasing" way to do it.

Can I get a side shot of this? I've got an idea to make it more visually appealing, but need to draw it on a side view.

pharcyde05 01-11-2007 05:57 PM

I have done a few trucks and and we always start from the bottom and go up you alredy know that the bag will lift over 7 in so you want to get the truck at the layed out level mount bottom of bag compress bag and then mount top bracket so that bag is compressed when layed out

jlaird 01-11-2007 06:02 PM

XXL, heres a bunch of pics. Didnt know which would work the best for ya:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ghlight=4-link

jlaird 01-11-2007 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porterbuilt (Post 1980962)
I think a 6.25" ride height (bottom of frame rail to the ground) is plenty of room. I set-up all our stuff to run a 5" ride height. I know you have been discussing the height the bag is designed to ride at, and this is critical to have it function properly. Set the bottom of the frame rail to your desired ride height off the ground and then figure your bag mounts out. I would recommend a tapered sleeve on an over the axle set-up... the ride quality will be much better than a convoluted bag. If you are planning on 'possibly changing over' to the tapered sleeve later and run the convoluted now, keep that in mind when building your mounts.

Nathan, do you know the ride height of a typical sleeve bag? Is Firestone the sleeve bag of choice? Never seen any others.

pharcyde05 01-11-2007 06:16 PM

the diffrance on that is that vally customs bracket on axel mounts bolth bars lower

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...OTOS/4link.jpg

jlaird 01-11-2007 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pharcyde05 (Post 1981049)
the diffrance on that is that vally customs bracket on axel mounts bolth bars lower

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...OTOS/4link.jpg

OHHH!!!, thats exactly what I need!

jlaird 01-13-2007 08:35 PM

XXL, would love to see what you had in mind for that front mount.

Kenneth_CS87 01-16-2007 12:54 AM

what 4 link are u running?

jlaird 01-16-2007 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_CS87 (Post 1988638)
what 4 link are u running?

Suicide Doors

jlaird 01-30-2007 09:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got the 4-link mounted and rear bags on. I changed from going over the axle to in front. Next is the panhard bar. Just ordered it today.

[ol'Blue] 02-01-2007 04:33 PM

thats f-ing sweet.