The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Here's what I've been doing for the past year.... :) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=223739)

Bamm 01-20-2007 03:21 PM

Re: Here's what I've been doing for the past year.... :)

68GMC454 - We are both on the same page. I'm planning on everything but the bathrooms. Too much hassle and it's only 25 steps from the house....

Hey Chuck, just let me know when you're in the area, I've got the grill over in the corner and a good time is only a couple steaks away...... :)

Canadian694x4 01-20-2007 06:42 PM

Looks Great!! :thumbs:

Bamm 01-20-2007 11:06 PM

Thanks Brian. Anybody have any good ideas on how I should route/plumb compressor/air lines around the shop? Can I just use pvc pipe? Is it a special kind of PVC pipe that I should use? Should I only go metal? Thanks for anybodies help in advance............Jerry

smoked68 01-20-2007 11:08 PM

man i wish my garage was like that. I have a building and its only 12x12...:(

Bamm 01-20-2007 11:21 PM

Hey smoked, If you had told me 3 years ago I would have one like this now, I would have laughed. Where there's a will (and a willing wife) there's a way........Jerry :)

smoked68 01-20-2007 11:22 PM

cool, very nice garage though. I guess Im still banking on the lottery...lol :)

jeffspower 01-21-2007 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamm 24 (Post 1995484)
Anybody have any good ideas on how I should route/plumb compressor/air lines around the shop? Can I just use pvc pipe? Is it a special kind of PVC pipe that I should use? Should I only go metal? Thanks for anybodies help in advance............Jerry

I've seen PVC used before, but I wouldn't trust it. Plus wherever you put an outlet it will be flimsy & prone to break. I used to have a 50' x 100" shop :whine: and I sweated all 3/4" copper thruout. Even the outlets with it was a little flimsy. I didn't feel like working with threaded pipe because of all the different lengths that it would have took, & the possibility of rust inside. I put a 3/4" ball valve at the end of the run to blast it clean once in a while.

ChevyFan24 01-21-2007 01:00 AM

Nice garage!

I ran across this the other day for air lines.
http://www.garage-pak.com/

72 CustomCamper 01-21-2007 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamm 24 (Post 1994858)
Hey Chuck, just let me know when you're in the area, I've got the grill over in the corner and a good time is only a couple steaks away...... :)

Hey Jerry, I'll have to take you up on that this spring, but you'll have to come up this way one Friday night once our cruise night starts...

72gord 01-21-2007 09:27 AM

Hey Jerry,
I used regular 1/2 inch pvc in my garage, 200 psi pipe, used it for 2 years no problem. I did have it double clamped, above and below each outlet so no twisting or flex from the hose transferred to the pipe. I put a 1/4 ball valve below each outlet to drain water from the lines. I'm nearing completion of a new shop also and I am just starting on the air lines today, I'm going with 3/4 inch cpvc this time, more volume, 450 psi pipe(a little stronger) going to use the same 1/4 ball valve drains and running everything along the ceiling and then dropping down to the outlets. My compressor is located upstairs in a loft area so it just works easier to run the lines up high, out of the way. The cpvc pipe in this area is about $2.75 per 10 foot piece and with 450 psi pipe I'm not concerned about problems as long as the pipe is clamped in place. I use hose reels for my air hose also, so there really isn't any force against the air piping. BTW...shop looks great!!! post up some more pics as you progress along.

No3Fan4Ever 01-21-2007 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamm 24 (Post 1995484)
Thanks Brian. Anybody have any good ideas on how I should route/plumb compressor/air lines around the shop? Can I just use pvc pipe? Is it a special kind of PVC pipe that I should use? Should I only go metal? Thanks for anybodies help in advance............Jerry

Nice shop Jerry............but lose the avatar :) go 'skins'

quite a few people on the board have used cpvc piping for their shops with no problems and probably will never have any but all of the cpvc pipe manufacturers have published data that tells you not use it in compressed air installations.

check out this link, lot of info here

http://www.oldsmobility.com/air-compressor-piping.htm

Bamm 01-21-2007 01:02 PM

Hey Chuck, sounds like a definite plan.

Hey Gord, you have a pm.

Hey Tim, sorry brother, can't deal with the skins. Go Big D!!!!

Thanks guys for all the advice on air lines, if anybody else has experience with this, give me your .02 cents, I'm always interested in how other guys did it. Thanks guys, .....Jerry

68gmcdually 01-21-2007 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Very nice garage. I was VERY, VERY lucky when my wife and I went house hunting last winter we stumbled upon the perfect house for us. Well it had the garage I wanted and the kitchen she wanted everything else we changed.

I need to redo the roof on the garage and I talked to the building inspector but I am not allowed to go much higher according to code to accomodate a loft above. I was going to strip the roof and add onto the block walls and then reuse the trusses but I guess that is out of the question. I could buy new trusses but that is out of the budget as well. For now I guess that I will live with my 10' high ceilings. I think that for now I will build an office in the front right corner to store my collectible stuff and somewhere to hang out and then down the road deal with the height issue. There is also a car port the whole length of the garage on the right side which is great for my DD. Currently the garage is 25' W x 45' L. This picture was taken on the day of purchase it looks a little better now.

When I do my air compressors lines I am going to use Black Iron Pipe, my family owns a propane business so we have lots of threading machines and the tools to do it. We did my dad's garage that way in '86 and haven't had any issues with rust or what not.

Bamm 01-21-2007 06:30 PM

Good deal James, will they let you change the pitch and go with an attic-truss? When I first spec'd my garage out, I was going with a standard 5/12 pitch, only later did I change to a 10/12 with attic-trusses. The best decision I made on this building......:)

68gmcdually 01-21-2007 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Changing the pitch of the roof is doable, there is just a heigth maximum that I have to stay under (16' 4" I believe) half way up the peak or something like that.

The house on the other hand has attic trusses with a nifty storage loft, just wish that they had continued that into the garage. They even put lights and a window up there. I told my wife that it was her new scrapbooking room and she laughed at me. Something else that they did was they built a ramp out the back of the house into the basement as he wanted to store his motorcycle in the utility room. Some of the mods to the house are super cool, others you just have to shake your head. I am definetly going to have to look into those attic trusses, I will just have to figure out how to do that and still keep my car port, although it is not required I guess.

(My 4 month old son is helping me type this, oh the joys and tribulations of first time fatherhood.)

Bamm 01-21-2007 10:01 PM

He doesn't have to help you type, set him up an account, and start looking for him a truck!! :) Goo Goo Ga Ga tow hooks goo goo :)

68GMC454 01-21-2007 11:51 PM

you can do the carport seperate from the trusses..nice place....

68gmcdually 01-22-2007 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamm 24 (Post 1996998)
He doesn't have to help you type, set him up an account, and start looking for him a truck!! :) Goo Goo Ga Ga tow hooks goo goo :)

Little guy has more money in his savings account than I do I think, even have what we call a RESP (education savings plan) set up for him. We are going to get him a silverado power wheels though for next summer.

How much where your trusses alone, roughly?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68GMC454 (Post 1997270)
you can do the carport seperate from the trusses..nice place....

I kinda figured that you could, I just don't want it too look terribly odd.

We got the house right around the time that the bank was forclosing on the previous owners so we picked it up for what they owed on their first, it was great.

Bamm 01-22-2007 09:38 AM

My trusses ran me $2400, $117 each, but the cost of wood has gone down. The same ones now are $100 each....