The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   boyd coddington,s upolster quote ....... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=258248)

67ChevyRedneck 09-14-2007 11:14 AM

Re: boyd coddington,s upolster quote .......

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay6891 (Post 2358263)
Yea that girl probably has more plastic and body work than the truck.

My truck has plastic and body work... and I still romp on it, I'd treat her no different ;)

Why discriminate? :lol:

racerman85 09-14-2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay6891 (Post 2358199)
Here is a pic of Gabes sons truck. I can't believe so many people like it when it has a, gulp, newer stepside bed on it.

Im suprised that no one else noticed, I didnt think that girl---err i mean grill came stock in 67/68 :hm:

I know a friend that does boat interiors, and doing a car interior is a drop in the hat (coin wise) compared to that... He knows some upper-level people doing around $100k jobs.

Classic Bowties 09-14-2007 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC (Post 2358149)
As long as it's worth it to enough people to keep him well paid, then his prices are just right.

:agree: and simply put. Cb :bowtie:

Musclerodz 09-14-2007 01:36 PM

Gabe's price is right there along several other high end shops such as the Recovery Room in NE. $10K for a high end interior is not out of line.

Mike

timcos 09-14-2007 01:47 PM

Price is an interesting thing.

I have to keep raising my prices to keep the flow of customers to where I would like it. There are too many. I know terrible problem.

I mam in a niche and there are only a handful of people who do it in the country. I actually have no local customers...all are from other states.

If Gabe can get away with it and there is enough demand...more power to him...yea!!!...capitalism.

Tim

ColoradoK5 09-14-2007 02:30 PM

Simple. Supply and demand!

ChevLoRay 09-14-2007 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timcos (Post 2358459)

I have to keep raising my prices to keep the flow of customers to where I would like it. There are too many. I know terrible problem.

Tim

I deal in quantity in my profession. Only downside is I don't get paid for piece work. The more I do..... the more I do. Same price, each time. However, if it takes longer, I get paid more.

72BlckButy 09-14-2007 03:14 PM

Gulp! :jdp: Better call the BBB (Better Business Bureau) because someone is getting scre***!

Just kidding! They do beautiful work, but I guess when you begin to work on the higher end, so do your prices.

Zoomad75 09-14-2007 03:37 PM

He's probably got a sign in there somewhere that reads:

"If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it."

$12 grand for a regular cab truck? must be getting leather from hand raised Italian cows.

I can appreciate good quality and craftsmanship, but I can't afford those prices. Hell, just to get my seats recoverd in my Nova in cloth & vinyl a local guy quoted me $800. That was my "buddy" price since our wives work together. He's helping me install my headliner in the car for pizza and beer, but he said he would have too much time wrapped up in seats to just give away. granted, I'd have the car torn down to make install of the headliner easy. He's running a business and I respect it. He does great work too. His stuff has been featured in Custom Rodder a couple of times, other mags and he's built cars for Colorado Custom Wheels to be displayed at SEMA.

Talent and skill cost money.

Dick Dale 09-14-2007 04:27 PM

How much interio goes in one of our trucks? Seat, carpet, and a dash pad. Thats all you need.

Sinister 09-14-2007 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 2358269)
My truck has plastic and body work... and I still romp on it, I'd treat her no different ;)

Why discriminate? :lol:

ROTFLMAO!!! :metal:

piecesparts 09-14-2007 08:32 PM

You can bet that was a quality bid by these guys. Just about all true upholsterers today are expensive. Those that do the jobs for the Coddington's, Foose's, and Barry White's make their money when their product shows up at the "Barrett and Jackson Auctions. There are guys that do phenominal work for a lot less, but you have to see their work first. I have a couple in my area, that will do an interior in a Camaro for about $4000,00 dollars, but if you are building it for show, the interiors can go to $10,000 fast. I want such an interior in my truck, but I am going to see what I can do so as not to build someone's house while I am doing it.

70cst 09-14-2007 09:00 PM

With this said...I'd rather buy my interior parts from WES, GMCPaul, or Tim C. If one has that kind of money to spend on their interior the more power to them. I want to keep my interior as close to stock as I can. Custom interiors are ok but for me I want to keep it close to stock as i can so I can save $$$$. I want a truck that I can drive and have friends and kids around. Geeee...what happens if your son or daughter cuts your $10,000 seats with one of their toys? :whine: I want my truck to be family friendly! :metal:

SCOTI 09-15-2007 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70cst (Post 2359023)
With this said...I'd rather buy my interior parts from WES, GMCPaul, or Tim C. If one has that kind of money to spend on their interior the more power to them. I want to keep my interior as close to stock as I can. Custom interiors are ok but for me I want to keep it close to stock as i can so I can save $$$$. I want a truck that I can drive and have friends and kids around. Geeee...what happens if your son or daughter cuts your $10,000 seats with one of their toys? :whine: I want my truck to be family friendly! :metal:

Apples vs. oranges.....

I know that you know the seat wouldn't cost 10K. These days, the entire interior does cost big $$ when you want that high-end, one-off look.

I like them both. Stock interiors look great & work very well for trucks that are still 'used'. The custom touch looks good too but some of the custom interiors are 'too much' for my taste. Smoothed, ultra-leather floors? Give me a break.

I'll be shooting for that elusive grey area between stock & full-custom.

N2TRUX 09-15-2007 12:29 AM

Ok guys, lets get our facts straight. The truck you are discussing belongs to Gabe Lopez, not his son. And just so you know the hood ornament in the pics is Jesse Jane who I hear is a famous ....film star.

Now for the next part. I challenge anyone that says they know someone who will do the same quality work for a much cheaper price to "show me". I have followed the work of Gabe Lopez along with many of the other well known automotive interior artist for many years. This guy is one of the top artists in the country...period.

Yes, his prices are crazy expensive, but his work is incredible too. Look at the design, fit and finish of these pieces pictured below. Show me someone that can get on top of this work.....:)

http://images.classictrucks.com/feat...7chev_03_z.jpg

http://images.classictrucks.com/feat...7chev_04_z.jpg

timcos 09-15-2007 12:38 AM

Quote:

Wow I appreciate that someone thinks I have the talent to do interior work.

My day job is a lot more cerebral...I do asset protection...working with attorneys and some folks protecting their assets.

I wish I could do interior work. I will be one of the guys buying it.

I am happy to be mentioned in the same company as Wes or Paul however.

Shane 09-15-2007 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 2359405)
Show me someone that can get on top of this work.....:)

There's a guy down here in backwards a$$ Alabama that I would put up against any of those West Coast boys. :lol:

http://www.paulatkinsinteriors.com/images/interior7.jpg

piecesparts 09-15-2007 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I agree that interiors should be family proof, but the truck that I am building right now is not planned to be aligned for the "HOOPSTER". I want to be somewhere in the unique world with it. Call me vain, I guess but since I am in my early fifties and the kid is out of the house--I can do it without getting crazy about it. I want to use a ROD DOORS interior and trim it in leather- a lot of that can be created by me, I have that ability. Attached is an interior from a 66 Chevy truck in my area and this is like what I want. It is acheivable with a small investment.

Classic Heartbeat 09-15-2007 11:28 AM

When I restored the Garden Truck almost 3 years ago, I had every bit of $3000.00 in paint and body materials alone. It's easy to see why great jobs command great money. WES

N2TRUX 09-16-2007 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shane (Post 2359700)
There's a guy down here in backwards a$$ Alabama that I would put up against any of those West Coast boys. :lol:

http://www.paulatkinsinteriors.com/images/interior7.jpg

That is correct. Paul Atkins is another one of the top interior artists in the country. Guess what, he charges as much as Gabe for an interior. That is "if" you have the privilege of being on his customer waiting list...:)

jfalesi 09-16-2007 12:46 AM

This is why I bought an upholstery sewing machine and a few books a while back. Hopefully I'll get good enough to sell seat covers to all you guys :D

crzngmychvy 09-16-2007 01:38 PM

My interior wasn't cheap but the price was fair ($2k), and I think it came out pretty damn cool. Of course I did a lot of the foundation work, but they made it professional. check it out

Shane 09-16-2007 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 2360547)
That is correct. Paul Atkins is another one of the top interior artists in the country. Guess what, he charges as much as Gabe for an interior. That is "if" you have the privilege of being on his customer waiting list...:)

Actually, he charges a bit more ... but "ya get what ya pay for" ;)

You can get on the waiting list ... send him $1,000 and you're on the list. :)

cojnit 09-18-2007 01:01 AM

Actually had gabes put together a quote for my Suburban, came out to $15,700. It all started when I asked if they could just make a new headliner for me. they wouldnt do the headliner, to small of a job. So I asked them to take a look at the whole interior.

harpo231 04-05-2017 04:37 PM

This is just my two cents on earlier posts about people who have trucks built as opposed to building them. AS for people with money lookin down,I may be an exception but i'm just a country boy who lives in the house he grew up in. I envy the guys that work on their own trucks as my health won't allow me to.[I have over the years built a 51 deluxe,a64 impala,67 chevelle and a 67 panel] However the fact that I turned a wrench and engineered sheetmetal for a major cooling tower company for 35 years has allowed me to retire at 53 and do it with a boatload of cash. When I first got my truck it was a 6cyl 3ott with a 4:11 gear
with a front tag that said "BLU MULE" [still her name today] I always wanted my old truck to be brand new and now she is ! . I don't have a lot of expensive toys but i do have my truck and all the guitars i want to play. Please don't lump us all together cuz like i said .Im just a good ole boy with a good retirement plan...