The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A Long Time Coming: Shoulder Harness found in my town junkyard (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=329168)

mrein3 02-17-2009 01:25 PM

Re: A Long Time Coming: Shoulder Harness found in my town junkyard

Quote:

Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 (Post 3149874)
A van doesn't use an intermediate shaft like a truck. It just uses a longer end. (It is hard to describe, sorry I do not have pics.) Whenever the shaft is driven in to make the van column short enough to use with the truck intermediate shaft, it takes away the "collapse area" you would normally have if you were in a collision. It does not have to be this way, though. I have used a couple of van columns in trucks, and took the inner shaft out and cut it off with a band saw so that I would still have the collapse area. I am sure someone on here has pics to demonstrate the length difference.

Reason number one why I don't use a modified van column in my truck. Safety has come a long way in passenger vehicles. One of the first steps was to take the spear of a steering column and make it collapsible. Then came padded dashes and seatbelts.

WHEN your chest hits your steering column in a bad front ender, you want that sucker to push in, not stand tall.

ERASER5 02-17-2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fine69 (Post 3149283)
Heck, i been brain dead for years. Ain't stopped me yet.:metal:

If that is true, what political office do you hold? Or are you a lawyer? :lol::lol::lol:

bestchevyfan 02-17-2009 03:07 PM

Thats a great find. Got some red ones the same way. Also got some black ones nos in box. Looking to find something to put them in. Later,buddy

MickMc 02-17-2009 06:03 PM

OH

I did cut the inner shaft down in length.

And I made sure there as some room for the shaft to collapse, just in case.

And my column is pressed all the way to the dash too.

Now to find a good way to mount seat belts...

Mick

El Jay 02-17-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stock72c10 (Post 3149869)
It is funny, we are not supposed to use junkyard belts because they "might" have been in a crash, yet every time I have wrecked a car the body shop never replaced the belts (I have wrecked a few in my time). Is it really an issue, and if it is should there be a law mandating the replacement of all seatbelts that were in use during an accident?

I don't know about no laws.

But when I was helping my buddy on his race car (building & pitting), the belts had to be re-certified, or replaced, every other season. It may have been every season.
It's been too long, I just don't remember exactly.
But I know they had to be tested & certified. I don't know who did the testing; "Not my job, Man!"

69sixpackbee 02-17-2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 3148956)
.....diminished safety that comes from converting a van tilt column....

o:smoke:

bigsnookmaster 02-18-2009 08:16 AM

Not to hi-jack,but. Bestchevyfan, I'd pay you handsomely if you ever want to get off those black ones.Thanks,:chevy:

leddzepp 02-18-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69 1/2 Six Pack Bee (Post 3150412)
o:smoke:

:crazy:

71blksuper4x4 02-19-2009 07:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, I took the plunge and dyed my belt covers to match my interior. Came out very very nice. Cleaned and scrubbed them very well before using some ppg Medium Blue Poly in my airbrush. Let me know what you guys think. Trevor

71 super 02-19-2009 08:09 PM

They turned out very nice great job!

weasel29gm 02-19-2009 08:35 PM

Looks like they was never used, 25 yrs ago nobody used em' good find!!!

Down south truckin 02-19-2009 08:46 PM

Trevor good find! I am going to agree with special K I've seen more shoulder belts in ambulances than any other kind of truck however I do know where a set of blue ones are in a utility bed 3/4 ton I think it was a fleet truck like ga power or bellsouth phone company. I'm sure there shot the truck has been sitting in the woods for at least 18 years I saw them over 10 years ago and asked how in the heck did you get this truck this deep in the woods.someone stole the doors off the truck before I saw it and it has been sitting open ever since. Mike

72armyswbtruck 02-19-2009 09:07 PM

Man, those seatbelts look very nice,
Great score, mind me asking which scrap yard you grabbed them from?

71blksuper4x4 02-19-2009 09:59 PM

72armyswbtruck- Just got them from a hometown scrapyard that I think is called Osage Salvage, ran by a guy by the name of Dean. Heck of a nice guy. They only have about 3-4 trucks of this vintage in there though. Anything you are looking for, maybe I can help.

Mike, you wouldn't want to pull what's left of those seatbelts for me would ya???

powell72 02-20-2009 07:16 PM

Those look great, I'm really jealous.

spinning wheels 02-21-2009 04:59 AM

You were looking for blue seat belts? Don't you guys check flebay?

I sold seven blue GM seatbelts on flebay for $35 plus shipping, a few months back. I think they were from the late 60s or early 70s.

Oh well, next time.

1970cstblazer 02-21-2009 02:09 PM

Were they shoulder harness belts?

I am willing to be that they were not..

spinning wheels 02-21-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1970cstblazer (Post 3157640)
Were they shoulder harness belts?

I am willing to be that they were not..

some of the first GM shoulder belts were four pieces. Meaning the lap belts were not connected to the shoulder belts. My '70 Z28 has this weird design. Since the trucks already have the bolt holes tapped for the shoulder belts, (at least on my '72), you may be able to use another set of lap belts, as your shoulder belts. But you will have two buckles per passenger, as my '70 Z28 does.
When I went looking for shoulder type seat belts at the junkyards. I was told that, that is one of the first things taken off the trucks.

Then again, all the seatbelts won't save my ass, if I don't get around to bolting down the seats :D

Down south truckin 02-22-2009 04:25 AM

Trevor long story I've thought about just going and getting them but my conscience wont let me even though I know nothing will ever be done with the truck I just can't make myself do it, and the owner would'nt understand how I knew they were there if I asked him about them. Afriend of mine who knew the owner showed me the truck way back and the owner kinda freaked out when my friend told him that the doors were missing back then.I know he has had tons of stuff stole from him over the years he's one of those guys that keeps everthing he has ever had that he thought would be worth anything. next time I see him I may try to bring the truck up and get him to let me look at it then ask him about them,but I'll have to do it before the spring green up because it is deep in the woods.We'll see... Mike
Quote:

Originally Posted by 71blksuper4x4 (Post 3154724)
72armyswbtruck- Just got them from a hometown scrapyard that I think is called Osage Salvage, ran by a guy by the name of Dean. Heck of a nice guy. They only have about 3-4 trucks of this vintage in there though. Anything you are looking for, maybe I can help.

Mike, you wouldn't want to pull what's left of those seatbelts for me would ya???

teeitup 02-22-2009 10:15 AM

Those turned out NICE Trevor!!!!!!!!! Great find and nice work!!