The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Need help with wiring stock temperature and vacuum gauges (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=333575)

Green Monster 03-31-2009 08:04 PM

Re: Need help with wiring stock temperature and vacuum gauges

Excellent! So the temp gauge does not have a wire going to the back of the gauge, instead the signal is sent though the printed circuit, correct?

msgross 03-31-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgross (Post 3225832)
The green wire should be built into your main harnass that clips onto the back of your dash bezel. You "should" just need to hook up the printed circuit on the back to the new gauge. .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Monster (Post 3231095)
Excellent! So the temp gauge does not have a wire going to the back of the gauge, instead the signal is sent though the printed circuit, correct?

yep,

Green Monster 03-31-2009 08:57 PM

How does the vacuum hose attach to the vacuum gauge? I only have a gauge but don't know what type of hose to attach or how to attach the hose.

msgross 03-31-2009 09:46 PM

good question.. post some pics when you figure it out.. I have yet to mount mine as well... I'm think vacuum hose but not sure on the gauge connector...

jaros44sr 04-01-2009 08:47 AM

Just looked at mine, 1/8" copper tube and ferrule with the female locking nut. Just like your oil pressure gauge if you have a manual, comes off the block by the distributor and not electric

badpeanut 04-01-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 3232041)
Just looked at mine, 1/8" copper tube and ferrule with the female locking nut. Just like your oil pressure gauge if you have a manual, comes off the block by the distributor and not electric

IIRC the vacuum gauge fitting is larger (1/4"?) than the oil fitting (1/8"?).

jaros44sr 04-02-2009 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badpeanut (Post 3233213)
IIRC the vacuum gauge fitting is larger (1/4"?) than the oil fitting (1/8"?).

I could be wrong, I'll go look again

enaberif 04-02-2009 05:39 AM

vac gauge is just hooked up to the manifold vacuum source. May have to do some custom fitting.

jaros44sr 04-02-2009 07:04 AM

Looks to me it is a 1/8" tube, but it could be a 1/4" ferrule. I could measure if needed

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...replace719.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...replace720.jpg

seldomseen65 06-25-2009 11:11 PM

OK guys it's my turn to ask for help, I'm sure there are a lot more younger guys than i am, that could help me out, my problem is my horn , everything else is OK, i went for a test run to check things out and i try to use my horn and nothing happened ,,i came back to the house and find out that the horn had been by passed, with a horn bottom,,why would any one do that and i have been trying to figure this out with out tearing the steering wheel apart ,, so give me some idea what i might have to do OK,,thanks ,,i hope i posted in the right area to ask for help ?
Larry

jaros44sr 06-26-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seldomseen65 (Post 3380481)
OK guys it's my turn to ask for help, I'm sure there are a lot more younger guys than i am, that could help me out, my problem is my horn , everything else is OK, i went for a test run to check things out and i try to use my horn and nothing happened ,,i came back to the house and find out that the horn had been by passed, with a horn bottom,,why would any one do that and i have been trying to figure this out with out tearing the steering wheel apart ,, so give me some idea what i might have to do OK,,thanks ,,i hope i posted in the right area to ask for help ?
Larry

I would repost this down on the Electrical section, or have a Mod. move it. Really smart guys down there and I'm sure one of them could help you out. I had a question for them and they even drew up a schematic for me to follow along

I'm electrically challenged, so I can't help

seldomseen65 06-26-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 3381146)
I would repost this down on the Electrical section, or have a Mod. move it. Really smart guys down there and I'm sure one of them could help you out. I had a question for them and they even drew up a schematic for me to follow along

I'm electrically challenged, so I can't help

thanks jaros44sr; i'll five them a try and see if they can come up with a solution for me, :metal::chevy:

Green Monster 03-08-2010 08:59 PM

It's been a while but I finally got around to refurbishing my instrument cluster. Out is the hand throttle and aftermarket Sun Pro gauge. I installed a new bezel, lens, printed circuit, and tin along with the correct factory temp gauge with vacuum gauge. It looks awesome.

I was able to get the vacuum gauge to work by buying a brass adapter to attach a 1/4" barb to the back of the gauge. The adapter and 1/4" barb were threaded on with teflon tape. I used six feet of 1/4" vacuum line and ran it to a T that I installed about two inches from the vacuum line coming out of the rear of the intake manifold that leads to the AC canister. The gauge reads right down the center at "15" during idle and drops to "0" if I stab the throttle but bouces right back to "15". I guess that's what it should be doing?

I found a few cut wires behind the block wile under the hood. One wire on the passenger side and another on the driver side. Not suprising to me, the volt meter and temp gauge do not work. I installed a new temp sensor. I think the cut green wire I found needs to be connected to the temp sensor and that will resolve my temp gauge issue.

I'm not sure what I have to do to get the volt meter working. Any ideas?

Thanks,
John

lks dcvn 03-08-2010 11:46 PM

GM - do you have any pix of the new setup with the hookups under the hood - I have a vacuum gauge that I want to get hooked up this year at some point.

jaros44sr 03-09-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Monster (Post 3848361)
It's been a while but I finally got around to refurbishing my instrument cluster. Out is the hand throttle and aftermarket Sun Pro gauge. I installed a new bezel, lens, printed circuit, and tin along with the correct factory temp gauge with vacuum gauge. It looks awesome.

I was able to get the vacuum gauge to work by buying a brass adapter to attach a 1/4" barb to the back of the gauge. The adapter and 1/4" barb were threaded on with teflon tape. I used six feet of 1/4" vacuum line and ran it to a T that I installed about two inches from the vacuum line coming out of the rear of the intake manifold that leads to the AC canister. The gauge reads right down the center at "15" during idle and drops to "0" if I stab the throttle but bouces right back to "15". I guess that's what it should be doing?

I found a few cut wires behind the block wile under the hood. One wire on the passenger side and another on the driver side. Not suprising to me, the volt meter and temp gauge do not work. I installed a new temp sensor. I think the cut green wire I found needs to be connected to the temp sensor and that will resolve my temp gauge issue.

I'm not sure what I have to do to get the volt meter working. Any ideas?

Thanks,
John

Good job John, glad it worked out for you. You're right on the green wire, I'll see if I can find the volt wire for you

John H. 03-09-2010 10:37 AM

There should be a brown/white wire from the junction block on the passenger fender. The small wire from the positive battery cable hooks on it. I think the other wire (brown) comes off the voltage regulator. Both of these wires go through the firewall at the bulk head and go into the back of the guage cluster like the temp. I might have the colors backward, but you can look at the diagram for a start.

Green Monster 03-09-2010 02:36 PM

I'll see if I can get some pix.

Thanks for the tips.

Jaros - If I can't get this corrected then can I stop by for some help? From your pictures, it looks like you have experience with wiring.

jaros44sr 03-09-2010 03:40 PM

[QUOTE=Green Monster;3849901

Jaros - If I can't get this corrected then can I stop by for some help? From your pictures, it looks like you have experience with wiring.[/QUOTE]

Sure anytime! But don't use that as a reason to visit...got my cell number? sposed to rain this weekend

Green Monster 03-09-2010 03:45 PM

Rain will stop me. GM is a fair weather vehicle only.

I don't have your cell number. Can you PM me with it?

jaros44sr 03-09-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Monster (Post 3850014)
Rain will stop me. GM is a fair weather vehicle only.

I knew that:lol: that's why I posted it up, but maybe Sunday

Tynee 03-09-2010 09:58 PM

Congrats, I bet it looks great.

jaros44sr 03-09-2010 10:02 PM

:wop::lol:

Green Monster 03-10-2010 09:55 AM

I'll get pictures up soon. I have an under hood picture and dash picture to share.

Green Monster 03-23-2010 04:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Jim (aka Jaros44sr) was gracious enough to host myself at his home on Sunday morning to help me get the stock temperature gauge wired up and operating again. Jim knows his wiring and wasted no time finding chopped up wiring under my hood and quickly identifying where it belongs and what it was for. The previous owner installed a new motor and aftermarket SunPro temp. Gauge. Jim supplied the correct advice, wire, connector, heat shrink tubing and crimping tools to help me get the job done right. Jim is both patient and knowledgeable. Great guy and super nice. Jim has a neat project Jimzer with a 67 Chevy pickup front clip he is working on. It was great to look at his project with the oak bed and to share my 72 Blazer with someone that REALLY appreciates it. Thanks again Jim!

Attached are photos of the vacuum gauge set up as requested.

Green Monster 03-23-2010 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more.