The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Project "Poison Ivy" 54 GMC (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=339340)

c10addict 08-26-2009 02:12 PM

Re: Project "Poison Ivy" 54 GMC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomerswany (Post 3485728)
You're my hero and patina partner - love the trucks! Have you ever discussed your favorite bag - components? and some of the costs associated? Sometimes you can save a little here and there - but need to spend the dough wisely - premium parts aren't always the highest priced! (but we know they often are) - subscribed. :chevy:

Thanks for the compliments.. I am all over the board with air ride stuff.. My 68 has An ART Coolride kit,Big Red valves, 3/8 line, two 3 gallon tanks and 1 compressor. Also running drop spindles and blocks in the rear .. That was pretty much all there was when I bagged that truck.. Plus after a four year build when I decided to bag it 6 months after it was done I didn't want to cut anything...

The 64 has a Dropmember with ART control arms, KP notch with stock trailing arms. I am running manual valves in that truck.. I have a set of Big Red valves sitting but its hard to fix whats not broken. This truck also has two 3 gallon tanks and one compressor..

The 54 is going on the 97 S10 chassis.. Bags and drop spindels up front, Extensive metal works 2 link in the rear.. Couldn't beat the deal on the two link.. Not worth taking the time to build my own.. As I said this truck is pretty simple.. Keepin the 4.3 so I am not worried about the way it hooks up.. Just want it low.. I also have a set of Big Red valves for this truck as well..

The 67 is way on the back burner for now.. But I Z'd the frame 3 inches, cut an inch off of the front bag cups and run 2.5" drop spindles.. The rear is a KP notch and stock trailing arms.. Who knows what I will do with this truck for air management..

Any questions please hit me up!

Boomerswany 08-26-2009 02:23 PM

Thanks - sort of like computer gear - as soon as you settle on the next "best thing" something else better comes along. I'm just working static drops now and will collect the best of the bag-components over time. I'm trying to work out the static stuff, so when it comes to the bags it's just swapping the springs out and everything else has been done - sort of along the way. The rear is stock trailing, ECE super track, and a step notch for good measure.

Thanks again! - :chevy:

c10addict 08-29-2009 03:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
thought I would post a few pics of what I did with the oil bath air cleaner to work with the 4.3... I cut the structure out of the inside so I basically had an empty can and lid.. I then took a 6" air cleaner assy and tacked the base plate to the bottom of the can. I did the same for the lid by tacking the air cleaner lid to the orignal lid.. All i have to do now is cut the original 2.5 inch neck off and weld a 3" neck on... I will weld a small bar across the neck with a nut to screw the stud to.. I am going to have it powder coated in a jet hot type of chrome like finish... Later today I will weld the notch in..

c10addict 08-31-2009 10:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Started welding the notch in tonight... Coming out pretty good so far... I also picked up the steel to make my cab mounts... I am going to take advantage of Jeff51's design.. (Thanks Jeff!!!) I decided to buy 4x4 square tube and cut the mounts out of it rather than bend flat steel or weld flat steel together... I thought it would be more cost effective... Sorry for the poor quality cell pics...

lolife99 08-31-2009 10:24 PM

Ever get the itch to sell the '64?
I love the look of it!

c10addict 08-31-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 3495489)
Ever get the itch to sell the '64?
I love the look of it!

Thanks but I am going to hold on to it for a while... I have a few people in line for that truck if I decide to sell it.. Its my every day ride... I have a brand new 60k demo that sits in my driveway most of the time while I drive my 64... Alot of people just don't understand.. :lol:

lolife99 08-31-2009 10:47 PM

Keep me in mind,... if the other guys pass when you decide to sell.

c10addict 08-31-2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 3495557)
Keep me in mind,... if the other guys pass when you decide to sell.

your on the list.... thanks for the interest..

c10addict 09-02-2009 11:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So I got a little more done... I had to brace the spring pockets where the arms bolt in because I had to cut away the rear of the bracket so the arm could travel closer to the frame.. I also got the notch mostly welded in and bolted the wheels on and set it back on the ground..I had to cut the gas tank cross member for the drive shaft and will weld it up to secure it.. When aired out it gets the lower frame rail 2.5" off the ground... Im thinking the running boards should be smashed on the ground when aired out... :metal:

c10addict 09-09-2009 08:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Not to get off topic here but here is another reason this project is not getting anywhere to quickly... Trying to get this done for my step dad in the next two months...(just in time for winter :dohh:) I can not wait to drive it... I miss owning something with alot of horsepower... 69 Charger, 528 Hemi, auto.. Pulling the 4 barrel intake and putting a crossram on it... I wanna bag it with 20" billet specialities cast finish Bonneville-G wheels! Not gonna happen though..

VA72C10 09-09-2009 10:13 AM

That is SWEEEEEEEEEET. We'll forgive you for not working on the truck and working on a mopar just because it's got a big block hemi ;)

c10addict 09-22-2009 11:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I went on vacation in OBX last week but I am back and really have the bug to get this thing done.. I spent last night on the band saw cutting the 4x4 steel to make the cab mounts... Tonight I welded them together... Thanks again Jeffs51 for posting the drawings for the mounts... I decided to try the 4x4 square tube and think its the easiest way to go... its alot less cutting and welding IMO... and with one cut you have the main body of the mount and the steel for the foot..

c10addict 09-22-2009 11:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
As I mentioned before in an eariler post I wanted to open up the air cleaner I converted for more air flow... Here is what I did...just need to powder coat it now... I also cut a piece of the top engine cover away and add a piece of mesh to try and tie it all together.. If your wondering the top engine cover is off of a BMW X5 V8... Not crazy about it but it works till I fab something new up..

Alan's Classic 09-23-2009 09:42 PM

I like the oil bath update. Yep I'm subscribed as well. Sweet work!!

my67chevytruck 09-24-2009 09:50 AM

nice work.

Dinos63 10-17-2009 02:04 PM

Duude i have a perfect gmc hood full of louvers if you are intrested

c10addict 10-20-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinos63 (Post 3572984)
Duude i have a perfect gmc hood full of louvers if you are intrested

No thanks Dino... Can't f-up the original patina!!! Thanks Bro!

c10addict 11-01-2009 03:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well its done... :lol:.. I wish... Here are a few pics from the photoshop area thanks to longhair and 19gmc63... Now im getting excited

c10addict 11-01-2009 05:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
got the framed all welded up and painted... I rolled it outside today to clean up the garage... Here are a few pics... Finally time to start swappin tin...

VA72C10 11-01-2009 06:10 PM

VERY cool. Looking forward to seeing some sheetmetal on it!

muddpile 11-01-2009 09:49 PM

Lookin Good!

vk_chevy 11-01-2009 09:59 PM

excellent progress, I really like this build!

BlueJeep 11-01-2009 11:25 PM

Is the 1 piece driveshaft stock? Most I've seen have had the 2 piece...

c10addict 11-02-2009 08:54 AM

The driveshaft is the stock S10 shaft that was in the truck... One more reason I hope I do not have to move the engine.... I still have to cut the perches of the rear and weld the new ones one with the rear set at the proper pinion angle.. I have to get the body on first to establish my measurments..

BlueJeep 11-02-2009 12:07 PM

I'll wait and see what you can come up with, but I think you'll end up moving it back.

Are you using the 2wd rear axle? I'm using the 4wd one, and I'm still looking at spacers or different wheels to get the tires out farther to clear the bed sides. (I'm trying to get away with not tubbing mine, as I want to be able to haul plywood with it).