The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   show your67 72 chevy spot light trucks (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=401853)

oldblue1968chevy 05-21-2010 10:47 AM

Re: show your67 72 chevy spot light trucks

post some pics of how they look on the inside and with the door open please..

bad68bowtie 05-21-2010 03:07 PM

This may be a dumb question, but for those of y'all who are running spotlights, are they functional? If they are, how reliable do you reckon they are?

I ask because I've been wanting to buy a K20 when I get done with school to use as a daily driver and throwing some spotlights on there seems like it would be a pretty cool addition that could also be practical and useful.

crewcab67 05-21-2010 04:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My new truck

tcb-1 05-21-2010 06:58 PM

^^^ oooo, wee! I love the '72 ambulance!

69c10step 05-24-2010 11:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
my buddies truck

67chevy1series 05-25-2010 08:06 PM

dang that is different the grille is wow

69c10step 05-26-2010 07:38 AM

It was fab'd from a '58 Corvette grill

storm9c1 05-26-2010 09:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Driver's side spot light:

Attachment 589178

Interior:

Attachment 589179

I am lucky because this spotlight has the GM tag on it, which is a nice detail. I have reason to believe it is original to the truck. But I can't confirm that.

67chevy1series 05-29-2010 12:57 AM

i think im gonna install one on my truck

pritch 05-29-2010 11:15 PM

My Panel had them at one time. The holes are bondo'ed on the outside, but are still there on the inside. I would want them on a 4wheeler, but I'm not interested in having them on my Panel when it's done. I see 'non-working repop's' in the LMC cat. and I wonder... "Why?"

71blksuper4x4 05-30-2010 01:47 AM

Anybody know if the dealer installed only GM marked ones, or if you could get the Unity brand ones? I just bought one out a yard that looks like the GM one, but it says Unity. This is my first spotlight and didn't know if I should install it on my 70'? I pulled it from a 69-72 in the yard. Trevor

67chevy1series 06-06-2010 08:05 PM

you know i think that you could get gm or unity

67chevy1series 06-16-2010 07:09 PM

but i think they had rather given you a gm light

68 Stepside 06-16-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcsRX (Post 3981274)

Nice trucks. I noticed you also mentioned you had an extra spotlight made in Chicago. Is it an Appleton? My Grandpa worked at Appleton for almost 40 years, my Grandma worked at Stewart-Warner for almost 40 years also. Although my folks moved away from the city (Lawrence and Pulaski, and Western and Belmont) before I was born, I still have a bunch of family up that way.

eightbanger 07-05-2010 07:56 AM

Calling Doug (tcb1) and of course anyone else in the know. I have been wanting to fit a set of Unitys/Appletons for ages...BUT, I want them to have a more custom look rather than utility. Here's the problem I have, the template for fitting spotlights to our year Trucks has them sitting to high on the pillar making them stick out a bit to much past the line of the Truck (see marcrsRX pic) I realise the reason for this is a practical one so that the internal handle clears the dash.
Template & Bracket pics courtesy of "aerotruk63"
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...5/DCP01061.jpg

Now for myself having the spotlight sitting lower or even on the cowl would create the desired effect, and checking on Unitys site they don't list a cowl template for 71 Chevy but they do for GMC 66 thru 73...Now unless I am very wrong & confused indeed, my Truck is a 71 C10 and Unity do a template (#27) for cowl fitting on a 71 GMC, http://unityusa.com/reverse_search.asp

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...htTemplate.jpg
as these Trucks are practically identical? especially around the cowl, A pillar & Dash this would have the internal handle coming in thru the dash to the left of the instrument panel and just above my AC vents. So am I right or am I right???
>
>
>
>
>
>

67chevy1series 07-05-2010 09:28 PM

i dont know if that would be able to move around in that spot

tcb-1 07-05-2010 10:07 PM

Nigel! hey mate, got your pm. been thinking of you since I haven't seen you posting lately. hope things are good.

I think it would be a major undertaking to relocate the spotlight lower on the "a" pillar. the first pic you posted shows the correct template and correct pn# 202 Unity bracket. I would highly advise not to go deeper in the cowl or "a" pillar. if you did, you'd have to figure out what pn# bracket would work, and that would be quite difficult because Unity still produces 100's of brackets.

one, because it would be a nightmare to seal properly. two, because it wouldn't be in the traditonal location for a spotlight on these trucks. and three, mate you have a nice, nice truck. ripping a decent sized hole in GM sheetmetal can only be done once. it would be bad enough I mess something up, but in the UK where parts are scarce....... well it just scares me to think of it.

if you want the lokk of an old school spotlight, but don't need functionality, check out speedwaymotors.com. they carry a "dummy" spotlight that a lot of ratrod/lead sleds use and it looks good.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Dummy-Spots,158.html

hope I shed a little light on the subject!

eightbanger 07-06-2010 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcb-1 (Post 4075172)
Nigel! hey mate, got your pm. been thinking of you since I haven't seen you posting lately. hope things are good.

I think it would be a major undertaking to relocate the spotlight lower on the "a" pillar. the first pic you posted shows the correct template and correct pn# 202 Unity bracket. I would highly advise not to go deeper in the cowl or "a" pillar. if you did, you'd have to figure out what pn# bracket would work, and that would be quite difficult because Unity still produces 100's of brackets.

one, because it would be a nightmare to seal properly. two, because it wouldn't be in the traditonal location for a spotlight on these trucks. and three, mate you have a nice, nice truck. ripping a decent sized hole in GM sheetmetal can only be done once. it would be bad enough I mess something up, but in the UK where parts are scarce....... well it just scares me to think of it.

if you want the lokk of an old school spotlight, but don't need functionality, check out speedwaymotors.com. they carry a "dummy" spotlight that a lot of ratrod/lead sleds use and it looks good.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Dummy-Spots,158.html

hope I shed a little light on the subject!

I would definitely only have attempted making a hole my Truck if I was sure it was correct and I had the correct template, because as you say Doug Im too far away from any parts suppliers to be able to put my mistakes right easily. But it is strange that you can have a cowl mounted spotlight on a 71 GMC:confused: I may put this little project off for a while for now, thanks for the link I had seen those dummy spots before....but I'd prefer if they worked.

And yes you have been most illuminating:)

storm9c1 07-06-2010 01:49 PM

I have a friend who has called Unity a few times...he has restored a few old police cars...and needed spotlight parts. Unity can be pretty helpful if you get a good person on the phone. They have access to lots of information that may not be available on the website. They also told him that if you order a vintage bracket that is not in stock, they can actually make them from scratch (in one case it was a RH bracket for a '72 Fury and it turned out beautiful)! I am amazed at how supportive Unity is for the classic/antique market.

Keep in mind that there are significant differences in the bracket with the curve for the pillar and the angle at which the light mounts and protrudes, both on the X and Y plane. Also the shaft arm length varies (longer/shorter depending on application). So both of those parts need to be exactly right for the application. And Unity should be able to tell you this.

And by the way, there is no difference between a GM branded light and the Unity light. It's just an extra detail to have have the GM topper tag. Otherwise the parts are exactly the same as any other Unity light. Often times after 40 years, the original GM light rusted, broke, or fell apart, and could easily be replaced by stock Unity replacement parts. So that's why you may see a mixture of parts out in the wild.

On most police cars (old and new), there is an option code for this. But I'm not sure about the trucks.

Does anyone have a spotlight on their truck that shows up on the SPID?

eightbanger 07-06-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by storm9c1 (Post 4075984)
I have a friend who has called Unity a few times...he has restored a few old police cars...and needed spotlight parts. Unity can be pretty helpful if you get a good person on the phone. They have access to lots of information that may not be available on the website. They also told him that if you order a vintage bracket that is not in stock, they can actually make them from scratch (in one case it was a RH bracket for a '72 Fury and it turned out beautiful)! I am amazed at how supportive Unity is for the classic/antique market.

Keep in mind that there are significant differences in the bracket with the curve for the pillar and the angle at which the light mounts and protrudes, both on the X and Y plane. Also the shaft arm length varies (longer/shorter depending on application). So both of those parts need to be exactly right for the application. And Unity should be able to tell you this.

And by the way, there is no difference between a GM branded light and the Unity light. It's just an extra detail to have have the GM topper tag. Otherwise the parts are exactly the same as any other Unity light. Often times after 40 years, the original GM light rusted, broke, or fell apart, and could easily be replaced by stock Unity replacement parts. So that's why you may see a mixture of parts out in the wild.

On most police cars (old and new), there is an option code for this. But I'm not sure about the trucks.

Does anyone have a spotlight on their truck that shows up on the SPID?

Thanks for your input Tom....and yes you are right a phone call would be the best route it would take a lot of the guess work out.
Apparently these spotlights were dealer options, and would therefore not be on the SPID.

tcb-1 07-06-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightbanger (Post 4076040)
Apparently these spotlights were dealer options, and would therefore not be on the SPID.

correctomundo, Sir Nigel.

they will not be listed on the spid. dealer option only.

67chevy1series 12-06-2010 10:58 PM

well i finally got my unity spot light heres a pic going to restore it back to original condtion and going to ask doug or tcb-1 for some help;)http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/p...ictureid=10775missing the handle:waah: but i alreadt found one and will be buying it soon

eightbanger 12-07-2010 07:40 AM

Looks good mate...could you take a couple more snaps from different angles please.

67chevy1series 12-10-2010 08:15 PM

i will try ,thanks

special-K 12-10-2010 10:43 PM

These were made by Unity and offered in the GM truck accessory catalog with GM stamped on them,just like the the other items such as Ventshades,bumper guards,etc.They are cool on the right truck.