The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   POLL: Holley? Q-jet? or Edelbrock? Let's finish this once and for all!!!! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=436034)

silverstreak 12-16-2010 11:36 PM

Re: POLL: Holley? Q-jet? or Edelbrock? Let's finish this once and for all!!!!

Here's my 2 cents in order of personal preference.

1 Edelbrock / Carter AFB
2 Quadrajet
3 Holley

It's not that I don't like Holley, just don't like draining the fuel bowl to change a jet or have a bowl gasket leak.

Edelbrocks are easy to tune and easy to work on. I have one on my daily driver and it starts easily and quickly everytime, even in cold weather. Throttle response is pretty good as well.

Therotically, a Quadrajet is similar in design to the Edelbrock / AFB in that it uses metering rods, a secondary air valve and you just pop the top for any tuning. It's been a while since I've ran one, aren't parts getting harder to find? I understand Edelbrock is discontinuning their line of Qjets.

It all boils down to personal preference I guess, some people like Dodge, some prefer Ford some like Chevy, but in the big picture, they all do the same thing.

chipflyer 12-16-2010 11:41 PM

Quadrajet!

prostreetC-10 12-17-2010 12:40 AM

Funny.....I didn't expect Holley to be a strong second. I figured Eds or the jets to be first and Holley to be dead last.

....but just like the last elections.......long ways to go!!!

vectorit 12-17-2010 01:24 AM

Q-jet is my favorite.

rustyrodknocker 12-17-2010 01:45 AM

My elect. Choke holley never misses a beat best start up carb I've ever had. But my favorite carb is the Qjet. In my experience most people compare a 30 year old 200k mile q jet to a new or near new aftermarket carb. The number one problem with the quad is a warped air horn or body from someones wrenching. These carbs ran for decades intill an owner over torqued it. Edelbrock dropped their q jet because it was twice the cost of their standard carbohydrates. I wish I would have ponied up the bucks now.
Posted via Mobile Device

hotrod farm truck 12-17-2010 02:32 AM

Holley 850 4150 for me.

gonzo6869 12-17-2010 02:47 AM

1406 is my vote

long69 12-17-2010 05:08 AM

i'll buy another crockobrock when i want to chance gas leaking all over a hot engine again. my holley runs tits right out of the box.

Hottrucks 12-17-2010 05:31 AM

wow I would have to fight over a couple of beers with yea ^^^^

I voted edlbrock because every one I took out of the box ran perfect with min tuning but the truth is I have run Alot of Q jets until the throttle shafts have worn out..yea i know theres a kit but at that point I bolt on the EB...

I personally find the Hollies a PIA seems they are always needing to be tuned...I mean its 14* now and in the summer its 100* and alot of parts to get in sink and the if you get a back fire you pop the vavles so I try to avoid them

special-K 12-17-2010 07:36 AM

I depends on the use.You can't beat the original Quadrajets on a stock manifold.The spread bores give a perfect balance of power and economy.There is no one specific carb for a modified motor.Q-jets on a stock manifold still do the trick on mild builds.It's when I change the manifold that I go to other carbs.I only change the manifold on a total build,not add-on.When a build will benefit from a dual plain,air gap,or dual feed I go to Holleys.My latest is a 670 cfm Street Avenger for a hot 327.One carb I have learned to stay away from is the Holley 600 cfms.

bigsnookmaster 12-17-2010 08:14 AM

I have a Holley, custom built by Pro Systems. The best carb I have ever had!

don t. - 72gmc 12-17-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret (Post 4354053)
I run Q-jet's on everything I have & have had. Great gas mileage & good driveability. I have been working on them for 40 years so I'm sure that helps.

+1 on Q-Jets

timjt 12-17-2010 09:57 AM

Edelbrock was easy to install, I don't have any experience with the other two though so I won't vote...

arkansas 12-17-2010 10:01 AM

I've got a lot more experience with Carter YF's, but I'm pretty sure the Rochester M-Jet has a higher flow. Wait where's my voting selection?
On the only V8 I have I run a Holley. They require more attention over time than both the Q-jet or Eddy, but are easier to work on at least in my experience. Well easier than an Edelbrock anyway. All three are good choices. They all have their goods and bads.

Now who's going to add Carter YF and Rochester M-Jets to the voting choices?

76kcfdeng 12-17-2010 10:10 AM

Easiest I have dealt with is a Carter AFB. If the vehicle sits very long with a Holley seems to me they have problems, dried up metering block gaskets and such.

So.Cal.Super 12-17-2010 11:46 AM

Q-jet

I've had all 3 and it never lets me down. I found a local guy who can build them great with just a bit of info on what you have put into your truck. They are IMO the trickiest to work on, but the best.

screamin_c10 12-17-2010 12:28 PM

1405 on the shelf waitin' for Bessie, 1406 on Screamin' and an 1806 AVS on 'Boo. So yeah I guess I lean more towards Edelbrock... :lol:

19724x4plowboy 12-17-2010 12:37 PM

I've owned all 3 in the past. The only thing I will install on a motor of mine now is a Holley. I bought a Pro Systems carb (Holley) for my race motor last year and gotta say best carb I have ever owned too.

67swb72klb 12-17-2010 01:36 PM

q jet best as long as ur not realy radical then go to the holly spray it down lk agarden hose !!!

bradh 12-17-2010 01:55 PM

For modified engines Holley. Stock, Q-Jet all the way.

chopnchaneled 12-17-2010 03:49 PM

This was the third 1406 i've used and no complants yet.

NOW, that i've Bragged on them, Stay Tuned.

ChevLoRay 12-17-2010 03:56 PM

I've got the Edelbrock and Q-Jet going on with my truck, equipped with an Edelbrock 1901 Q-Jet. Didn't get a chance to vote for both, but having had a 1405 Edelbrock, I shoulda gone with Edelbrock, I suppose. Between the two, I prefer the Q-Jet. Runs leaner and is better on the street, even though it is rated at 750CFM, compared to the 1405s' 600CFM.

This argument will never end, though.

1LOW4X4 12-17-2010 04:22 PM

There is nothing like a good setup Q-jet.

prostreetC-10 12-17-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1LOW4X4 (Post 4355748)
There is nothing like a good setup Q-jet.

.....to keep the shop door open in the summer!!!! Sorry....Imma sore loser! :lol:

SOON2BLAZE 12-17-2010 08:21 PM

just got 15 mpg out of my 454 with a q jet.