The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   72 Not sure what to call it yet resto! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=501870)

LakeAnna 01-16-2012 07:19 PM

Re: 72 Not sure what to call it yet resto!

Been working pretty hard here the last week on the truck. I got the frame done today. I pressure washed, wire brushed, grinder, da sander etc... pressure washed, degreased again and final washed. Put it in the booth on jack stands and you know the rest. I used SEM rust shield and it seems to be a nice finish. My only issue was not having a larger tip for the gun. We usually use a 1.8 for all the primers or even a 1.5. This stuff is just so thick I had a heck of time getting it to flow with the 1.8
If I use it again I will have a 2.2 for it for sure.

My cab supports as you can tell need attention and all four arrived this evening on the brown truck.... :whine: Not looking forward to tomorrow with that.

Just got off the phone with Mark at ECE:smoke::c2::c2: 4/6 drop is shipping out tomorrow.

Chris-

What do you guys think I should spray on the bottom of the cab? Use the SEM?

dmwphoto 01-16-2012 07:25 PM

Mark with ECE is a great guy to deal with and the products are top notch

67c10rustbuket 01-16-2012 07:52 PM

nice work, Thats definately a good way to pick up and move the frame !

LakeAnna 01-16-2012 08:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres is one shot. I been trying to upload some pics but it keeps saying the securtity token is missing???? WTF

VA72C10 01-16-2012 08:52 PM

Looks great! Security token missing means the pictures are too large. Try re-sizing them or you can upload them here to the gallery and link them here to the thread.

LakeAnna 01-16-2012 08:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
One more of the frame... And the the rear drivers cab support which is average for what they all look like. I guess it's not to bad though because they are solid further in toward the brace that runs long ways under the floor.

I got the oem type replacements that I plan to start on in the morning.

72BlckButy 01-16-2012 10:47 PM

Great looking project Chris!

What did you paint the frame with?

VA72C10 01-17-2012 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 5127830)
Great looking project Chris!

What did you paint the frame with?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeAnna (Post 5127259)
I got the frame done today.I used SEM rust shield and it seems to be a nice finish.

;)

Frame looks good out in the sun :D

That support's pretty common....the inners look pretty good overall though from what I can see in that picture....

LakeAnna 01-17-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket (Post 5127321)
nice work, Thats definately a good way to pick up and move the frame !

The lift is great to have around needless to say... I used it today to take the cab around back for some sandblasting. Just as I was about to start my father showed up and decided I needed to help him on the 36 he is restoring.
The weather is supposed to be decent tomorrow I hope to get the bottom of the cab blasted and along the drip edge/rain gutter or whatever on the roof.

Anyone, what type of sealant is used in that seam after I get it cleaned up?

VA72C10 01-17-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeAnna (Post 5129604)
The lift is great to have around needless to say... I used it today to take the cab around back for some sandblasting. Just as I was about to start my father showed up and decided I needed to help him on the 36 he is restoring.
The weather is supposed to be decent tomorrow I hope to get the bottom of the cab blasted and along the drip edge/rain gutter or whatever on the roof.

Can't search for it now but I believe it's a 3m two part. I know BMERDOC tried some on his and wasn't thrilled with the results...try searching seam sealer on the board or FAQ's...

LakeAnna 01-20-2012 08:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
After three days and lots of grinding welding and well you know...

LakeAnna 01-21-2012 05:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The picture up above doesn't do the bottom any justice really. It turned out pretty decent I still have 2 coats to spray this morning (total of 3) using SEM 38101. I was able to get an elcheapo hvlp primer gun with a 2.3 tip and the stuff flows great through that. In the pictures you can see I repaired the cab corners by cutting out the rot and welding in the new pieces as needed.

This next pic is from Thursday evening when I blasted the top and around the gutter. Not to bad I guess. I have a few small pieces I hope to weld into that today and get it primed with utech etch primer for now. Do most of you just weld up the small holes like in the pic and use a fiber filler of some sort? I've got some Mar hyde fiberstrand that should do well for most of it after the welding. Sorry the pics just didn't come out to well up top. What do you think? Any suggestions or comments welcome??

LakeAnna 01-21-2012 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 5129626)
Can't search for it now but I believe it's a 3m two part. I know BMERDOC tried some on his and wasn't thrilled with the results...try searching seam sealer on the board or FAQ's...

Found some! Although I'm still a ways from needing it yet...:lol:

scotts72heavyhalf 01-21-2012 03:47 PM

Great progress on your build.

LakeAnna 01-25-2012 06:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by scotts72heavyhalf (Post 5137053)
Great progress on your build.

I don't know how great it is Scott but I feel like I am making some progress. Thanks for the parts BTW...no thanks to the USPS of course:lol:

Here is what I've been up to for the last few days: I welded up the holes along the gutter on the cab... man was that a job. No matter what I did I always seemed to be chasing the weld it was so thin in spots. Anyway I got it! I cut two patterns and welded up the firewall and the antenna hole. Working on the cab until I can get it primed and moved aside.

UPS came with everything from ECE!!!!:metal:

Slow and steady I will get this thing...

LakeAnna 01-25-2012 07:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
couple more and parts truck...

LakeAnna 01-28-2012 06:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My friend James who is an excellent body man came over and gave me a hand today with the cab!!!:metal:

I have a few little spots in the door jambs to hit with 320 and then I can shoot the cab and it's ready. Here are a couple shots... of course the camera died before I could get a pic of it finished this afternoon.

VA72C10 01-28-2012 07:10 PM

Somehow I missed the last few updates. Went from rusty to done since I last checked in! WOW! Great work!

doubleb's69 01-28-2012 07:29 PM

Did you spray or brush the frame? It looks great and so does all of the rest of the progress.

TXPinstriper 01-28-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeAnna (Post 5129604)

3M seam sealer or 5200 Marine Sealant will work fine and paint will adhere to it when its dry...

LakeAnna 01-29-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 5151800)
Somehow I missed the last few updates. Went from rusty to done since I last checked in! WOW! Great work!

Quote:

Originally Posted by doubleb's69 (Post 5151829)
Did you spray or brush the frame? It looks great and so does all of the rest of the progress.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXPinstriper (Post 5152095)
3M seam sealer or 5200 Marine Sealant will work fine and paint will adhere to it when its dry...

VA72C10 thanks for the kind words! I still need to catch up with you sometime...;)

Double D I sprayed the frame and it was a little tough getting it to flow through the primer gun. We have a Devilbis startingline primer gun with a 1.8 tip. Usually that gun works great but with the SEM rust shield it was a little to thick. With that being said though... It covered very well just not as slick as regular urathane or something. I like the finish it has and it seems like a nice tough coating now that it has cured. If I had to do it again I would use the same thing with a different tip or maybe get the thinner they sell for it.

TX.... Your truck is nice!! Got the sealer deal all figured out. Funny I have used lots of 5200 on boat transoms in the past. Good stuff, tough as *%^^!

flatfoot77 01-30-2012 11:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
If you want to go back to the original colors my 71 is Hawiann blue and white, I bought my truck already done take a look i get a lot of compliments on it.I see your truck has ralley wheels to me they look better than anything else just my personal opinion Good Luck

LakeAnna 02-04-2012 05:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I've been working on the cab and the fenders the last two days. James our body guy came today and got my "rough work" all nice and straight!:metal: Actually he said i didn't do to bad... Anyway this is where I am as of today.

Take a look:

LakeAnna 02-04-2012 06:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
:uhmk:

As you can see James had to cut all the paint off the hood... It's so thin there is no way I would blast it. I ordered the pads to replace and plan to urethane it to see if we can stiffen it a bit. Any thoughts on that? Anyway here is what I left an hour ago.

fencepost 02-04-2012 06:13 PM

I like K36 that is some great stuff. Just wondering if they had changed the receipe up any. It use to would stick to everything, over spray, which was good, but it was hard as a rock when it dryed. Very hard to sand. Still loved it for a sealer or trim out primer, good product. DP 90 black epoxy is real good too. truck's looking good.

What acid etch primer are you using?