The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   Alright chummins or stick with chevy??? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=577563)

Dieselwrencher 01-23-2014 11:30 PM

Re: Alright chummins or stick with chevy???

Looking good! I have a couple 2wd core transmissions. One is supposed to be good, but how good, IDK. I removed the top plate and everything looks good in it.

Ryan Duke 01-28-2014 11:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got a little done with cutting, also stuffed her back in and started drawing on the frame rails to cut out for the steering pump and the A/C compressor. I think I found a way to make some stock mounts to work!

Dieselwrencher 01-29-2014 08:20 PM

Looking nice! You're going to have the engine way down there. :lol:

ryanroo 01-29-2014 09:18 PM

Thats how the cool kids do it!

vegadesign 01-30-2014 01:23 PM

Hell yeah! Makin some progress, looking good!

Ryan Duke 01-30-2014 11:35 PM

I have off on Friday so now I cant get something done!!!

Dewey72 02-01-2014 12:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Love to see all this. I'll put a Cummins in anything!
Attachment 1208903
Dug fresh out of the scrap bin. Converted my nv4500 to 4x4. Its not the new updated shaft with the spilt collar but was in the trash. Mounting holes could use some work.

Ryan Duke 02-11-2014 08:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
well i dont know yet how to put text over each picture so i have to talk about a little ahead of time. I managed to get some crap done. front end boxed in, engine craddle boxed in, motor mounts made, tore the tranny down so it was lighter to mock up.

Ryan Duke 02-11-2014 08:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Oh by the way my welder is so much nicer when i have the right gas! I'm going to take all the good news I can, so when i saw where the tranny sat and realized im not going to have to touch the fire wall or floor I drank a beer with a smile! Anyone have a good idea what kind of pitch i should have with the drive shaft?

legendman 02-11-2014 09:15 PM

Another Cummins swap in progress Nice!!!

ryanroo 02-11-2014 10:17 PM

how close are the engine mounts to the framerail? looks real close in the picture. the OEM rubber will tear on a lot of trucks, making them move more than they otherwise would. if the mount is to close, you may have some sweet sweet love being made.

also, i do not know if the dodge mounts are cast or forged, but i would be they are a casting. i am curious about the method used when welding them to the mild steel plate. if not done correctly that may cause an issue down the road.

Dieselwrencher 02-12-2014 12:09 AM

To address the movement of the mounts mentioned by Ryanroo, you can get poly bushings to press in the centers that help a lot with the vibrations. Those mounts are cast and I would be very careful of doing them that way unless you preheated those cast pieces before welding them. I'd hate to see one of them brake on you during a road trip or something. Also, since you cut your cross member so low, why not bring the engine down to utilize all that room? It might require pan clearance issues, but your drive line angle may be better if you plan on lowering the truck in the future. On driveline angle I try to get it close to 3* on the shaft.

Ryan Duke 02-12-2014 10:58 AM

well i would love to use a diffewrent style mount for sure cause i heard about the stock mounts, but when i was looking for different mounts nothing seemed to look like it would work! any ideas?

Dieselwrencher 02-12-2014 04:47 PM

Here are some options. First, on 24v dodge cummins engines, they have a short and long mount. Get a couple short ones and see if you can use them. Here is my 76 when I re did the engine mounts.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...0/DSC00509.jpg

Here I used poly first gen dodge cummins mounts on a 89 V2500 suburban. These mounts can be used in your set up pretty easily.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/IMG_0077.jpg

If you want to prepare for bigger power, you can put 2 per side.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...n/DSC00229.jpg

Some people use stock SBC clam shell mounts, but I feel they aren't strong enough and allow the engine to vibrate excessively.

You could also use t bushings like Ryanroo used on his truck as well.

Ryan Duke 10-07-2014 11:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Whoow its been awhile. A little update for everyone. I got my mounts I think figured out. I also picked up new front fenders. A different box. Vintage air. Tubular a arms disk brakes stainless lines all around.

Dieselwrencher 10-07-2014 05:56 PM

That's looking pretty nice! That bed looks mint!

Ryan Duke 10-08-2014 01:48 PM

Does anyone know how to change the title of my thread. Its pretty clear I am not using the chevy motor.

Dieselwrencher 10-08-2014 08:58 PM

What would you like it to say? I can change it for you.

burnin oil 10-09-2014 12:40 PM

Back to the gear ratio thing. Stick with what Dodge offered. I would reuse the rearend of the donor truck. The highest gear Dodge hooked the Cummins to was a 3.07 gear in a Dana 61 axle and that ratio is not available anymore. This setup also did not have an OD trans. Most in the second gen body style had 3.55s . Combine that with your .75 OD and it is still a pretty good ratio setup for milage. My twinned 2500 Dodge 4x4 12v had this ratio, pushed 700hp at the wheels, and still got 18.5+ MPG on average. Some of the newer trucks got a 3.42 in the A&M axle but alot of them had 3.73 or 4.10s.

shopteacher 10-09-2014 11:33 PM

Holly Crap another 2WD Chevy with a CUMMINS !!:metal::metal::metal::metal:

Subscribed!
I like the idea of cutting out the cross member to get it lower, but I think mine will be low enough with the mounts I got from Auto World in MT. I have to kick my self in the arss and get busy with the replacement of my rocker panels.
Greetings from south west Idaho!

Rock On!!

Ryan Duke 02-24-2016 12:10 PM

Holy crap its been a year and a half since I've last posted!!!!
Im working on steering now and the link from the pitman arm to the idler arm is in the way of my engine pan, does anyone know if I can run a dropped pitman arm and idler arm from a lift kit with a truck that's not lifted? that would drop the whole thing out of my way im just not sure if it safe?