The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Repossessed HUD home renovation (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=601220)

faribran 11-08-2013 10:36 AM

Re: Repossessed HUD home renovation

i like those colors... you are making good head way.

bnoon 11-11-2013 09:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks!

I got the appliances installed in the kitchen, finished staining the end caps/etc, then cut the trim boards. A few touch ups here and there and they'll be ready for the clear/matte poly finish. I also marked up some of the counter tops that I'll be installing. Granite-look laminate from Menards in stock section. We agreed, real granite is too cold. Plus I can easily replace the counters 10 times for what real granite would cost wholesale, about 15 times retail. I have about $200 into these, not including the bowling alley lane at $160.

flashed 11-11-2013 10:32 AM

Looking very nice ,you will be done in no time .

bnoon 11-11-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 6358137)
Looking very nice ,you will be done in no time .

Thanks. It always seems to take way longer than I would like though. Behind schedule! Gotta GO GO GO! :burnout:

bnoon 11-13-2013 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sink hole cut out, miter test fitted, counters trimmed to length. Final few cabinets hung. Some trim boards for those final few cabinets, and glue the counter end caps are probably next.

bnoon 11-18-2013 09:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
End caps glued/trimmed/filed on counter tops and all screwed down. Sink installed with faucet and disposal (one drain extension yet to buy/install since it wouldn't quite reach). Final semi-gloss clear coat applied. Vacuumed and final swept. Now to finish that island for the final reveal.

flashed 11-18-2013 01:09 PM

Looks great ,you do nice work .

67ChevyRedneck 11-18-2013 02:15 PM

I REALLY wanted an island (in addition to building cars and stuff I like too cook stuff) but our kitchen just wasn't wide enough.

Looks great so far!

bnoon 11-19-2013 09:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I spent some time last night cross cutting the bowling alley lane and truing up one edge. I had one little piece knock out, but it came out clean and split down the middle, so it was easily glued back into shape and will look totally fine. I got REALLY lucky and didn't hit any major nails on this piece at all.

I was going to trim up the left over piece (about 4' long by 3'7" wide) and make a table for my in-laws, but on the very next cut I hit some 3/16" SPIKES and killed the blade almost instantly even with a triple life carbide tipped blade intended for going through nails... I'm going to buy another blade tonight and try to make their table again with another cut... supposed to be for Christmas for them... Their gift keeps getting smaller with every failed cross cut path through it though. They may just end up with a cutting board LOL! :lol: At least our island piece will look awesome.

rambler 11-19-2013 02:35 PM

that is going to look great

bnoon 11-25-2013 10:03 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rambler (Post 6372427)
that is going to look great

Thanks!

Here's the sink and disposal all done up close. The island is secured/screwed in place and electrical hooked up. Pantry cleaned and installed/partially stocked. Up close on the bowling alley wood. There are several impact marks from storage that I will have to steam out once the wood is fully braced and glued (there's a slight bow to it now, less than an eighth of an inch). Then I can attach trim and pour the resin top.

bnoon 11-25-2013 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot to include all of the recycled base trim. Probably a couple thousand nails I had to cut off. I got tired of cutting them by hand, so I started using my cutoff wheel on the grinder and it went MUCH easier.

flashed 11-25-2013 06:49 PM

That bowling alley top looks great as well as the rest of the kitchen . When do you plan to move in.

bnoon 11-26-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 6388263)
That bowling alley top looks great as well as the rest of the kitchen . When do you plan to move in.

We moved in Saturday the 23rd! Pretty much just need to put base molding down and we can get inspected, then I can complete projects like the island.

I got the bowling alley all braced and glued last night and reset the metal angle bracket braces that I had temporarily attached when I first put it on. After it dries a full 24 hours I'll remove the pipe clamps and start the edge trim. That won't be for a little while though since I have to do the base molding first. Then there's mounting the TV (locating 3 jacks, wall mount, etc) and of course painting the granddaughter's bedroom (she's due the 3rd, we can hardly wait!).

flashed 11-26-2013 09:55 AM

Congrats on the move in and you will finish quickly now .

bnoon 12-02-2013 11:02 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Wax removed (about a quart of mineral spirits and a couple old T-shirts), trim installed and stained, and resin applied. Unfortunately there were a few leaks between the boards on the alley floor that leaked resin and caused some wrinkles (resin partially dried on top, but soft underside kept leaking causing the surface to slightly collapse and wrinkle). I will have to sand and reapply. It's going to look great though.

bnoon 12-02-2013 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Last picture.

flashed 12-02-2013 01:19 PM

Very nice ,you did a great job.