The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Ls swap radiator (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=601424)

Blackpony 12-24-2013 12:50 PM

Re: Ls swap radiator

It's an oil catch can for the evac system. The ls engines are notorious for injesting a small amount of oil through the evac.

rcrahn 12-24-2013 01:05 PM

I chose a Griffin with the inlet/outlet on the passenger side. I wanted a radiator made in the USA.
Interesting comments on RND radiator from both sides. I am not going to judge who is right and who is wrong. I will only say that forum members should try to purchase products made in the USA. It's important to support these companies whenever possible. Seek them out cause they help to make our trucks roll again. I could really give a crap about cheap parts made overseas. Merry Christmas.....

ivorton74 12-24-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackpony (Post 6432952)
Sure no problem. Excuse the ugliness

Here is how the top hose is routed. I will snap a pic of the lower hose in a bit and post it up.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps1a8e3f82.jpg

Perfecto! Thanks man that helps...found the hose at napa for 33 bucks...seeing ur engine is kinda making me more pumped about putting mine in...i just cant wait

Billett 12-24-2013 06:19 PM

Well I needed a rad quick and couldn't front the cash for one made in the US. If I did I'd have gotten one from entropy or RnD. Instead I decided to get one made overseas but at least I still supported a seller and forum vendor in the US, not straight from eBay. Sometimes it just isn't worth twice the price.

Blackpony 12-25-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivorton74 (Post 6433184)
Perfecto! Thanks man that helps...found the hose at napa for 33 bucks...seeing ur engine is kinda making me more pumped about putting mine in...i just cant wait

Haha thanks, it's a sloppy mess. I removed the ac setup with the intentions I using the factory compressor later. I am hoping to sell my mustang soon so I can fund a blower setup. If all goes planned I am going to disassemble the entire truck this summer to do a restoration. Plan to box and powder coat the frame, build a 4 link out back, new paint job, major updates to the engine and wiring, and much more.

ivorton74 12-25-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackpony (Post 6434816)
Haha thanks, it's a sloppy mess. I removed the ac setup with the intentions I using the factory compressor later. I am hoping to sell my mustang soon so I can fund a blower setup. If all goes planned I am going to disassemble the entire truck this summer to do a restoration. Plan to box and powder coat the frame, build a 4 link out back, new paint job, major updates to the engine and wiring, and much more.

Kool dawg...i hope to restore mine too one day...wish i could take it to gas monkey garage or somewhere and get it hooked up good...all i could do is dream

Blackpony 12-25-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivorton74 (Post 6434862)
Kool dawg...i hope to restore mine too one day...wish i could take it to gas monkey garage or somewhere and get it hooked up good...all i could do is dream

Haha yeah I know those guys specifically josh pretty good. We have helped them out a couple times. They do decent work, a few are really nice and a few were incomplete that I've seen. They have gotten a lot better though now that it's all under one roof. Kc is a badass painter!

ivorton74 12-26-2013 12:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
for real man...I like how they put the air ride suspension in...my trucks already static dropped but would love air bags...heres my baby

Blackpony 12-26-2013 10:00 AM

Yeah they like to use air ride stuff, but for good reason. It turns your vehicle into a blast to drive. It rides better, handles great etc.

littlevictories 02-21-2014 11:21 AM

so my griffin came damaged in shipping today
they estimate it'll be a month before a new one is available
i'm ready to go on the actual swap aside from the radiator

i'm looking for ideas on a JY swap radiator to get me by in the interim
ideally something with the water inlets and outlet on the passenger side

ivorton74 02-22-2014 12:15 AM

That sucks...im just gonna buy a stock replacement sbc radiator either from rockauto or ebay.

ivorton74 03-10-2014 01:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
quick steam port question....I did some reading a found that I could use a rad hose splicer for the steam port...do I still have to drill a hole into the water pump to run it or can I run it to the stock location under the throttle body?

Billett 03-10-2014 07:55 PM

If you splice into the rad hose you don't need to drill the water pump. If you drilled it then you would run the line from the TB to the top of the pump.

ivorton74 03-10-2014 08:09 PM

ok kool thanx man..glad I got that cleared up finally

ivorton74 03-10-2014 11:12 PM

oh yeah one last thing...what size would I need?

Billett 03-11-2014 09:31 AM

What size splicer? Depends on the rad hose you picked up. If you mean the port on the splicer then I'm not actually sure, you'd have to measure the steam port hose from the TB

ivorton74 03-11-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billett (Post 6569224)
What size splicer? Depends on the rad hose you picked up. If you mean the port on the splicer then I'm not actually sure, you'd have to measure the steam port hose from the TB

I need to get the size for both the rad hose and the steam vent hose. I got the Silverado 5.3 top rad hose.

BlueRidgeMountainDew 08-29-2014 10:37 AM

What's the idea with adding the steam port?

SparkyRnD 08-29-2014 11:26 AM

some people tap their waterpump for the steam tube to connect to, but we prefer to install that in our radiators. You are more likely to have a waterpump go bad than a rad, and if you are out away from home when it happens, the odds of you having a drill and tap in the truck is unlikely. We include them in all LS conversion radiators at no charge, unless the customer doesn't want the port.

Naught 03-10-2015 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenbear72 (Post 6432595)
I'm most likely going with the Rnd radiator and shroud, Sparky told me I should have no issues with it.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...%20c10/rad.jpg

What is that top hose off of in the picture? I have the same style radiator with the top hose on passenger side and i'm having trouble finding the right hose that fits.

fast&low 03-12-2015 09:17 PM

Hello Naught
What upper radiator hose are you using?
Came up on this posting looking for one that would work for my swap.
Hose brand & part number would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance

earl84 03-12-2015 10:20 PM

Wow, that's a crazy upper hose, Blackpony, but it obviously works.

Matt Cramer 03-13-2015 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earl84 (Post 7087989)
Wow, that's a crazy upper hose, Blackpony, but it obviously works.

That appears to be a factory mid 2000s upper radiator hose from a LS powered Chevy Silverado. It's what I have in my truck too.

fast&low 03-13-2015 10:04 AM

Yes that's what it is but anyone know what hose Naught is running for his upper hose?

Naught 03-15-2015 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fast&low (Post 7087880)
Hello Naught
What upper radiator hose are you using?
Came up on this posting looking for one that would work for my swap.
Hose brand & part number would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance

That's not my pic. I'm trying to find out myself what hose that is.