The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What can be said about the 4-speed New Process NV833 overdrive manual transmission? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=670789)

Gregski 12-07-2015 05:58 PM

Re: What can be said about the 4-speed New Process NV833 overdrive manual transmissio

4 Attachment(s)
ok wanted to share some close up pics of the bellhousing

now see how this bellhousing has six transmission mounting holes, I heard people refer to it as dual bolt pattern, as in you can use it to mount two different transmissions to it depending on what you got, so like a Muncie SM 465 would use four bolts and the New Process NV833 would use another four bolt combination

However, and you will see this when I post the pics of the transmission, my New Process A833 (or what ever the correct model reference is) actually has the matching six bolt holes.

So the 64 million dollar question is do you need 6 bolts to mount this beast?

and guys be gentle if I am driving you crazy with dumb questions I am trying to learn something here, and maybe help others too if they come across this later on in the future, thanks

Gregski 12-07-2015 06:02 PM

Re: What can be said about the 4-speed New Process NV833 overdrive manual transmissio

3 Attachment(s)
ok, so here is the full frontal of the New Process 440 or NV833 aka A833 MY6 option

note the six mounting bolt holes

do you need all six, or is this so that it can mate with a variety of bellhousings, could it even be a transmission case with a bolt pattern that is shared with its MOPAR cousin?

and again, remember there is no such thing as dumb questions, only dump people asking questions, ha ha

Tom 12-07-2015 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7401994)
and guys be gentle if I am driving you crazy with dumb questions I am trying to learn something here, and maybe help others too if they come across this later on in the future, thanks

Its all good, everyone else is learning too.
As for those junkyard trannys, no they did not include shipping. In the end as long as your happy with the outcome thats all that matters. For what I paid for my M20 plus its two rebuilds and new case I could easily had a T56 in the truck, but that just wouldn't make me happy.

walkerb 12-08-2015 08:40 AM

I would think that if the 6 holes line up(833 and bell housing) that you would want to use them.

Or are you thinking that some of the 6 bolts might interfere with something?

MalibuSSwagon 12-08-2015 09:07 AM

Ahh it appears your transmission has both GM and Dodge mounting patterns. It also seems that later bells also have both mounting patterns, my 2 hydro bells have both patterns on them, GM would just put gray plastic plugs in the 2 unused holes. This bell is shared with the SM465 as well.

hatzie 12-08-2015 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7401983)
Thanks bud, that helps I did not know what the model was I just heard of them referred to as Hurst shifters so that helps.

It's a Competition Plus made by Hurst for use by GM on the MY6 & MM7 A833. A lot of the OEM side mount shifters from the 50's through the 80's were Hurst units.
Fairly easy to re-work as long as it's not shagged completely out. The shim plates and springs are available.
This guy is hawking his hardened shift rod bushings. They transfer the wear to the soft harder to replace parts. I'd just use the nylon Hurst Pit Pack bushings.

6 bolts is probably gilding the lily. The SM465 does fine with just 4. It's heavier than a dead horse.

Gregski 12-08-2015 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon (Post 7402668)
Ahh it appears your transmission has both GM and Dodge mounting patterns. It also seems that later bells also have both mounting patterns, my 2 hydro bells have both patterns on them, GM would just put gray plastic plugs in the 2 unused holes. This bell is shared with the SM465 as well.

Thank you Eric, since I am anal, can you point out to us which 4 holes are for the New Process transmission and which ones are for the Muncie?

hatzie 12-08-2015 04:34 PM

Dodge pattern is LH side of the vehicle wider apart than the RH side.
GM are the same distance apart left and right sides.
You could get creative and use 5 or use the bottom and middle top on the LH side...

dragonball98312 12-08-2015 09:23 PM

I wonder which year they changes the bellhousing pattern. Mines from an 81 with a straight 6 and it has the old muncie saginaw bolt pattern

Gregski 12-09-2015 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon (Post 7402668)

So that's interesting it appears both my transmission and the bellhousing have dual bolt patterns, makes sort of for that belt and suspenders type of solution.

Had I known this I would not have needed to get the bellhousing, but 1. I didn't know that, and 2. I was too excited when I was buying it, you know how that goes

Gregski 12-09-2015 02:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a side by side comparison of my Muncie SM465 bellhousing on the left and the New Process A833 bellhousing on the right so that we can stare and compare the bolt patterns

so looks like I may be able to simply bolt up this New Process trans to my original bellhousing

MalibuSSwagon 12-09-2015 09:08 AM

Well you can always clean it and sell it, or stash it for a rainy day project.

My NP833 is from a 1981 truck, it only has the GM pattern. Interesting I wonder why the change.

hatzie 12-09-2015 10:00 AM

I wonder if that bell can be used for the 96-01 (Dodge pattern) NV4500... If it can that's some cash for your project. Advance Adapters gets a pretty penny for their conversion bell etc.
The rumor is the 93-95 GM pattern NV4500 is specific to that transmission but I've never seen one to guarantee it.

EDIT: went and looked it up. Ignore my hot air^^^ both bolt patterns of the NV4500 are specific to that tranny... much closer to square than either the A833 or the SM465.

Keith Seymore 12-09-2015 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 7402845)
It's a Competition Plus made by Hurst for use by GM on the MY6 & MM7 A833. A lot of the OEM side mount shifters from the 50's through the 80's were Hurst units.

This is absolutely correct.

When I ordered my '87 it was placed on "stop order", because Mr Gasket was buying out Hurst and GM wasn't sure they were going to get enough shifters to support volume production.

My truck was built on a temporary deviation to use up the 100 or so transmissions that we already had in house.

K

Gregski 12-09-2015 03:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
ok guys lets move on to the shifter, I would like to share some close ups of the shifter that came with the transmission

I noticed the broken shifter knob threads when I was buying it, but it wasn't till I got home that I noticed the stick aka shifter lever is welded into the control mechanism, maybe some of youz can speak to that. I don't recon that's factory, ha ha

hatzie 12-09-2015 04:01 PM

You could carefully slice through that weld with a cutoff wheel.
Some parts are available for the Comp Plus from Hurst
https://www.hurstshiftersonline.com/...53&viewAll=yes

The grease fitting makes it look like a Chrysler A-body shifter... the bendy bracket looks like it's for an 84 MY6 setup
http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=58016

Gregski 12-09-2015 08:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
thanks for all the help guys, I cleaned the shifter up a bit and am able to see some numbers on it, do these mean anything

Keith Seymore 12-10-2015 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7404165)
ok guys lets move on to the shifter, I would like to share some close ups of the shifter that came with the transmission

I noticed the broken shifter knob threads when I was buying it,

Wow! That's some "power shiftin' " going on there!

I wouldn't have thought that would be the weak spot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski
...but it wasn't till I got home that I noticed the stick aka shifter lever is welded into the control mechanism, maybe some of youz can speak to that. I don't recon that's factory, ha ha

I think it is factory. Just a way to go from the flat tab at the shifter base to a round shift handle.

In later years they went to a flat stick which looks like a cleaner design.

K

Keith Seymore 12-10-2015 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7404462)
thanks for all the help guys, I cleaned the shifter up a bit and am able to see some numbers on it, do these mean anything

Not to us, I don't think.

Just patent numbers and internal codes. I don't see anything that looks like a GM part number.

K

Gregski 12-10-2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 7404895)

I think it is factory. Just a way to go from the flat tab at the shifter base to a round shift handle.

In later years they went to a flat stick which looks like a cleaner design.

K

Thank you Keith, I was totally thinking of you when asking that question, hoping you would see this thread and give us some factory know how, thanks again bud, really appreciate the feedback.

MalibuSSwagon 12-10-2015 11:29 AM

Maybe you can knock out the pins on the bottom and install a new Hurst handle? Or get the shifter parts to convert it to a bolt on type handle? Just a thought. I'm working late tonight but I should be able to get out my NP833 shifter and take some pics of how it's supposed to look.

Keith Seymore 12-10-2015 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon (Post 7405069)
Maybe you can knock out the pins on the bottom and install a new Hurst handle? Or get the shifter parts to convert it to a bolt on type handle? Just a thought. I'm working late tonight but I should be able to get out my NP833 shifter and take some pics of how it's supposed to look.

The bottom of the shift handle is a "blade", and it is retained by a couple flat springs inside the shifter base.

I always used a thin piece of aluminum on either side (a steel scale might work, too). Insert it between the shift handle and the inside of the base to defeat the clips and the handle should slip right out. It just snaps back in for installation.

You could keep that blade base/snap in feature and weld whatever shifter handle you wanted to the top of it (like the factory did).

K

Gregski 12-10-2015 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon (Post 7405069)
... I should be able to get out my NP833 shifter and take some pics of how it's supposed to look.

Eric I would appreciate that very much. Thanks

MusicMan70 12-11-2015 08:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
When looking for this "stuff" I found two different styles of shifter mounting brackets and two different set's of shift rods/arms (beefier rods still attached to shifter)

Gregski 12-11-2015 09:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicMan70 (Post 7407009)
When looking for this "stuff" I found two different styles of shifter mounting brackets and two different set's of shift rods/arms (beefier rods still attached to shifter)

First thanks for the pics, very helpful!

Yep, I actually used the 1979-84 and 1985-86 Illustration Catalogs to identify 4 different styles, there's the

1981-83 CK version (which I think I have) identified by triangle hole in mounting bracket

1984 only CK version, identified by round hole in mounting bracket

1983-84 G version ( I wonder if G means Van or RV)

1985-86 CK and 1987 RV version (rather similar to the 1984 one)